Anti-Material Rifle on PTS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, May 29, 2015.

1. Scr1nRusher

The Rifle isn't AV.

Also on the infiltrator it wouldn't be imbalanced.
  2. RedArmy

it takes 31 hits to kill a magrider, get 8 people on a hill that could cloak, he'd die before he knew where they come from 3 shots each with room for misses and even well timed, they coulda been right next to him...
    • Up x 1
  3. Scr1nRusher

You act like every battle will be as safe and as perfect as VR training on the PTS.

you should know better to think that.
    • Up x 1
  4. thebigbortishbort

it is av , hence not on infiltrator ;)
  5. MonnyMoony

This gun has the same damage output as a fully charged Vortex shot - plus it has faster velocity and access to scopes.

The damage does fall off a little quicker though - however due to it's scopes - it'll likely be a lot more accurate and easier to hit vehicles peeping from cover.
  6. Scr1nRusher

wrong.

The damage against heavy armor is the same a a uncharged lancer shot.

Its "AV" like the crossbow's explosive bolts are AV.
    • Up x 2
  7. MonnyMoony

Can you actually say that?

Granted - I hadn't factored armour resistance into the calculation - but do we know what the resistance values are for this weapon yet? They aren't given in the OP.

The base damage is double that of an uncharged lancer shot (300 vs 150).
  8. HadesR

Are not dmg listed in the stats versus infantry ? It's why people get confused with the Nix
    • Up x 1
  9. Armcross

like the idea, devs do it! I like the sound of corrosion grenades.
  10. Scr1nRusher

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/anti-materiel-rifle.226230/

LEARN TO READ.
  11. Demigan

Doesn't the Lancer do the same, but better right now? Higher muzzle velocity and more damage per salvo?

And as Scrin mentioned, getting a bunch of people with these weapons might sound smart, but it's not as if you get to shoot anywhere for free. They don't carry stalker cloak and even when they get farther away from bases there's still a great likelyhood of them being discovered by infantry or the very vehicles they are trying to destroy. 1 Heavy could probably kill 3 infiltrators in a group with only these rifles if they don't shoot him (and reveal themselves) before discovery.

We actually can say that. By testing out the amount of shots needed (31 hits according to RedArmy) you can calculate the damage resistance and how much alike they are to Lancers. Given that Lancers can fire uncharged shots with almost twice the muzzle velocity (1000 m/s for Lancer, +/-550 for AM rifle) I would say the Lancer probably has better AV capabilities in just about any situation. Also, it seems like directional armor doesn't matter with the AM rifle and you don't deal extra damage against the back. I haven't really tested it but with a few shots I couldn't see a difference.
  12. Disconsented

This looks a lot like another spitfire, nigh on useless on release :<
    You're giving up all of your practical AI power for a marginal increase (if you can consider it an increase with the AV turret existing) in AV/Max power. Max's are _really_ easy to kill now with HA,C4 etc being as popular as they are right now
  13. trued2

I first posted this here https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/anti-materiel-rifle.226230/page-8#post-3188923
    Now I have not used this in test, as the 10GB download would kill my bandwidth limit, but from a few videos i have seen, I still stand by my statement. from the videos the damage vs AI and max looks fine, but it looks too wimpy vs heavy armor, I want a bit more than a tickle. More than explosive darts on the crossbow.
  14. trued2

There are some vids up on utube, it clearly does almost no damage to vehicles, not enough currently, in my opinion.
    • Up x 1
  15. Lord_Avatar

It might be a fun tool for organized squads; a novelty mostly. Solo players and puggies will get little to no use from this gun in it's current state. It could be used to add some extra punch to Engineer AV turret nests. Fire off a rocket, exit the turret, fire off a shot, man the turret. Rinse and repeat.
  16. RykerStruvian

I dunno, based on the amount of QQ threads it seems like people wanted an antimaterial rifle specifically to counter MAXes....
  17. trued2

Can anyone give a status update on this thing, been a over a week since anyone posted so im sure theres been some tweaks.