[Suggestion] Alpha/Beta TR helmets vs. ones we have.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DogeKnight, Jun 2, 2015.

1. DogeKnight

So I've been a long time fan of the TR, but one thing has always bothered me. The default helmets (and I suppose armor and weapons in general) of the TR during the Alpha and Beta phases of Planetside 2 looked so badass. [IMG]What happened to that? Now we have these bug eyed bike helmets and goggles which look really lame. Was it to emphasize how cool the NC looked for all the kiddies?

Its too late to change the default helmets, but it always makes me sad thinking about it. :\ NC and Vanu get to look badass, so why cant we? (Without paying of course...)
  2. Pikachu

Another TR complaining thread. :D Anyway yes there was some good looking stuff cut out in the beta. Likecyellow sunglasses for nc, less boring black.
  3. SwornJupiter

The director of the creative/balance team was an NC-only player. You put the pieces together.
    • Up x 5
  4. Vargs

I like the current TR armor more than the armor in that screenshot, to be honest. Those old helmets look better though. At least you can buy new helmets, and all of the factions get godawful ugly default ones so this isn't a TR specific problem.

My biggest issue with the TR is that they look so goddamn good in white. Wearing that color is just a massive "shoot me!" beacon but I can't help myself.
  5. Dgross

I like how you criticized the content of the thread, then agreed with the poster. :rolleyes:

Btw I would pay $20 for helmets that look like the ones in Final Fantasy - Spirits Within

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  6. DogeKnight

I suppose so, but still, in comparison to the other factions helmets, the TR's default ones look a bit silly. Also with the white armor problem I can relate :p, they may have well as painted a big target on the armor.
    Jesus if only...
  7. St0mpy

I think the default TR helmet could do with a makeover, on streams or advertising it just looks scrappy and cheap.
    • Up x 1
  8. 00000000000000000000

Kinda makes sense. The TR seem like the kind of people who spend as little as possible equipping their soldiers.
  9. Lord_Avatar

Actually they would be most likely to overspend; no bells and whistles though.
  10. Kronias

Exactly, America overspends on it's military. They have a 20 year gap over everyone else. nothing all that flashy about their military though.
    • Up x 1
  11. Kirppu1

he was a dick cheney aka making wrong decisions, tried to make planetfieldsideduty 2, wanted the old players to go f themselves, ignored the warnings(FIX THE META), decided with d_carey that planetside isn't good bf clones are better, made a game that was in beta for 2.5 years....

The list goes on
    • Up x 3
  12. 00000000000000000000

But TR isn't America, they remind me more of the Red Army than any era of US military. Throw troops at something until victory is established.

They even have a commissar hat and a pilotka.

The kind of people who figure their troops are going to die by the truckloads anyways so why give them anything of worth.

But I understand if you TR players aren't allowed to complain about your weapons, you may face strict discipline.
  13. Littleman

I want the full light armor presented in those images. Closest any class gets to it is an engineer. The Combat Medic is even less armored, and he's technically the "medium assault." If a terrible one.

Actually, all of the alpha screenshots show troops with much more armor padding than is available in game, save for the heavy assault's getup. VS used to look respectable, not crysis suit failures.

FYI: there are no heavy assault armors in these images - these are what the engi/LA/medic could have worn, if $$$ didn't get in the ****ing way.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]

They put together a nice looking game, and then gutted it just before getting it to us. Pretty much par for the course though. One step forward, three steps back. Can't wait to see the hype train for EQN launch, only for when the actual public play test becomes available we barely have 10% of the content they showed.

Also, I'd kill if the actual game had the same color vibrance these screen shots did.

Also also, still want that cycler and pulsar.
    • Up x 1
  14. Metalsheep

Why would you pay for cosmetics if the default armor looked awesome already?

Thats where they went.

Back in the Tech Test and Beta what we know as "Composite Armor" was the default armor. Then SOE decided to monetize by selling cosmetics and took the default armor away and gave us the barely/badly armored models we have now.

As far as original design goes, the alpha stuff was very akin to PS1. Apparently it wasnt Battlefield enough for Higby so it was redesigned. The alpha imagery and art in general looks way better then what went live.
  15. Mythologicus

This is because the majority of players see a red faction and automatically make assumptions, then start demanding cosmetics for their own headcanon.
    • Up x 1
  16. MangoPunch

They are literally the same models as we have now. The only difference is the textures.
  17. Kirppu1

it's more like a **** germany. Effective. fast. and incredibly disciplined
    • Up x 1
  18. Lord_Avatar

Those Alpha graphics look like Planetside 3...

The TR have the common sense to equip their troops with effective and uniform armour coverage, the VS have a proper sci-fi feel to them instead of looking like uglified anime bangdolls, and the NC look properly sturdy.

Also - as someone already pointed out - the colour palette is vibrant, but far less cartoonish than what we have now.

<sigh>
    • Up x 1
  19. AlterEgo

Terrans should receive futuristic Stahlhelms. Unleash the inner Grenadier within!
  20. Kirppu1

These armours make SENSE, if i were the supreme commander of TR i would court-martial the desingers for making armor that exposes vital organs of my soldiers and for possible conspiracy against the armed forces of TR

video is related, this is cool