[Suggestion] Remove cloak sound

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by raidneq, Jun 2, 2015.

1. raidneq

The cloak is already bad for infiltrating, having a loud distinct sound only makes it harder. The sound made when cloaking should really be removed from enemy sound or at least lowered. That or buff cloak, maybe make the distortion when crouch walking less obvious. Or perhaps remove sound from stalker cloak, and give stalker cloak a visibility buff, and leave regular cloak the same.
  2. Plastikfrosch

yeah, its really funny that the stealth class gets a device that makes a sound that can be heard in a 100m+ radius the moment its used and the LAs get a Jetpack, a device that has to create enough power to lift a trained human soldier into the air, wich nealy makes no sound.
    Cloak has already enough downsides:
    - weapons cant be used or charged (vs) while cloak is active (yes, the cloak should break and the energy left should drain to 0 the moment you shoot out of your cloak but the delay between pressing F --> decloaking ---> and being able too shoot will break your neck ofthen enough
    - medi-/regenkits cant be used while in cloak (while all other classes can use those kits even if theire powers are activated)
    - infiltrators have only 400shileds which turns them into the only classes that can be OHK by headshots with commissioner and crossbow and give them a disadvantage in head on confrontations agains any other class
    - primary weapons are strongly limited to sniperrifles (you have to like sniping), smgs (which are only effective at cqc and every class has a better option with faster ttk (carbines: bandit/gd7f/serpent/lynx / all cqc ARs / lmgs: anchor, orion, msw-r)
  3. Leivve

********, a person struggles to hear cloak past 10 meters, on top of that unless you are practically humping them, your cloak will be drowned out in the sounds of the fight.

********, Jetpack makes a lot of noise, and it's very distinct and easy to recognize, just since all jet packs sound the same you can't tell if it's a friend or foe.

It's called balance. That faction of a second is intended to give someone with a fast reaction time a chance to avoid the shot or retaliate. If cloakers could shoot out of stealth it would be the most over powered thing in the game bare non.

Decloak for a moment, pop the med kit recloak. It's not a problem despite how you want to pretend it was.

They have 500 shields, 400 health. And besides that's the point they aren't suppose to engage head on. What in the title INFILTRATOR means you are suppose to be on the front lines? you are suppose to be an annoying **** behind your front line, or behind their front line. You pick your targets when they are vulnerable not as you see them like you can with a HA.

You can't complain about snipers because no other class has that kind of power at long range. And SMGs are some of the best CQC weapons in the game, and that's their niche. Shotguns are stronger point blank but quickly fall off, SMGs are powerful close up but don't fall off as hard as shotguns do, then carbines, then assult rifles, scout rifles, LMGs, then snipers. Everything has a roll and they fill that role. Are you going to complain that my RAMS .50 isn't as strong as an SMG at close range too?
    • Up x 3
  4. Plastikfrosch

as long as he has some kind of music while he is playing the game: yes you are right, but everyone who plays this game longer than a month knows exactly the sounds of the different factions cloaks and with a good headset you will not only hear that there is a cloaker (realistically its more like 30-50m even in bigger fights not your intentioned 10m) he will also be able to hear in which direction the cloaker is to find and how far he is away (found enough hostile cloakers this way even without spotter and darklight).

If you have a small fight the cloaking sound has a radius between 100-120m and every faction has its specific sound while the jetpack can be heard within what?? 30m??? and all jetpacks sound the same and noone will look around for that sound because LA is still a popular class.

lol, how would it be op. there is no delay for the medic self healing power or the overshield which nearly doubles the HP of the HA. And everyone can flank you especially a LA without making a very loud specific sound that gives you a secont to turn to it. Also those LAs have acces to carbines with 845/143 damage models which is a lot stronger than ANY smg and even thos cqc carbines are stronger over range than any smg and a stalker has no weapons that kill faster than those carbines or AR or lmgs. only if you are an infiltrator without nanoweave yourself you can get OHK with a commissioner or a crossbow.
    And if you run headon into another class (which happens a lot in this game) you have the delay because of the cloak (and yes you are running around cloaked because you dont want to be seen by people further away) and you still have the weakest shields and the weakest weapons. And please dont try to say someone would be able to not see a moving cloaker because a moving cloaker who has not the glowing color of my faction is A) as easy to see as a person made out of glass and B) will get shot the moment i see him.
    so all disadvantages for the infiltrator.
    The cloak like it is now is more created for the snipers not for the stalkers and smg-infiltrators. The loud sound of the cloak will not realy give away the sniper because he can shoot from ranges where the sound doesnt matter.

you are aware of the fact that there is a delay between pressing F and really decloaking so it takes time before you are albe to heal yourself. combined with the fact that infiltrators are already the weakest class thats not nearly fair especially while a HA can pop up its shield and do the medkit dance while the shield is active and if its a resistshield you will have nearly something around 900HP after every medkit shot (500HP/1-0,45 =909hp). Absolutely balanced.

yes, you are right, but you cant always avoid to meet your enemy head on because of the size of the battles and the fact that a moving infiltrator is just too easy to see. also being behind the enemys line is a good idea, but when everyone starts to look out for you just because the cloaking sound tells them, "there is a hostile infiltrator among us" and min. 50% of those guys carrys a sidearm with the darklight on it.

as i already said before: every faction has minimum 1 CQC carbine and 1 cqc AR that performs better than any smg and is usable even over longer ranges and is this way more versataile than any smg. also orion (even the post nerv version of the testserver)/mswr/carv/anchor have the same ttk as any ES smg and comes with the advantages of the Overshield).
    I would never play any smg with a non infiltrator because there is always a better weapon for my class.
    also EVERY class has access to SMGs while the infiltrator is restricted to them. i would love to play carbines with my infiltrator and i would give away the possibility to use smgs with this class.

So like the OP said. lower the radius of the cloaking sound OR let it as loud as it is BUT make it like the sounds of the jetpacks where you dont have any empire specific sound.

5. BloodyG

Everybody can see the cloak now anyway so why not or at least make the sound only audible in a 10m radius not the 100m like it's now.
  6. MarkAntony

you must be joking. the jetpack as easy to hear as the cloak? don't make me laugh.
  7. raidneq

The way the infiltrator class seems to be built makes it function as a scout class, only experienced players are able to effectively infiltrate with the infiltrator class, and stay alive while doing so, the infiltrator class could maybe be split into a scout and an infiltrator class, with scout as the current infiltrator -stalker cloak +survivability. infiltrator would only have secondary weapons and a higher quality cloak, with tools that would assist them in getting into a fortified area undetected. perhaps wall climbing.
  8. Get2dachoppa

I stopped reading here. This is such a steaming load that anything else you had to say in your post has zero merit. Begone, troll.
    • Up x 1
  9. Navron

LOL @ the OP.

Anyway, Leivve is correct. The jetpack CAN be heard if you're listening for it. The same way you can hear a MAX 50+ meters away. All you have to do is train yourself to listen for the sounds and have a headset with great positional accuracy.
    • Up x 2
  10. Leivve

Come back when you actually have played the game, because otherwise you would know that's all true.
    • Up x 1
  11. Leivve

Like the cloak it's easily drowned out in the sounds of gun fire, but it's a distinct sound. Just play LA one time and you'll be able to recognize the sound.
    • Up x 1
  12. Leivve

You don't know how to measure distances. Do you also think the Vulcan can kill a MBT in 5 seconds from 300 meters away too?

Go in game set a way point and tell me if you can hear an infiltrator cloak from 100 meters. Even in the middle of no where, so there is nothing drowning you out. I bet you 50 USD that even with all your sound maxed both ingame and your computer that you can't hear someone cloak.

And that's not a joke I DO bet 50 real USD that's how wrong I know you are.
  13. Leivve

I wouldn't say 50, but you can certainly hear them before they enter the building.
  14. Get2dachoppa

My play time is right there in my sig which is why I, and others, know what a joke your statement is. You're not fooling anyone and if you "struggle" to hear an infiltrator cloak beyond 10m you either need your hearing checked or play with the sound turned way down.

I don't have the time but there is another video somewhere of a player hunting Infiltrators based on tracking them down by their cloak noise.
    • Up x 4
  15. Leivve

Problem though is your example proves me right; because your foot steps are louder then the cloak, so in a huge battle with gun fire, explosions people running everywhere and everything else you're not going to hear someone decloak unless they are right in your ear. And hunting infiltrators down with cloak sound isn't anything new, I do it all the time. But every time I'm away from the fight so don't have people shouting "MEDIC!" and other things drowning it out.

Which was my point to begin with. It's loud near you, but at 10 meters your foot steps are louder; and non suppressed weapon is just as loud even within the 10 meters, some are even louder.
    • Up x 2
  16. Plastikfrosch

i found a very smart infiltrator (he kept turning his cloak on whenever he had energy i think. i was at a techplant at the vehicle terminal near the spawn and i could hear him cloaking on top of the tech. yes it was a nearly empty base but that distance was min100m. i went up there and killed him while he was hacking a turret (he was smart enought to not hack the terminals which would have appeared on the map.
    And like the example of Get2dachoppa shows: the sound is still noticable over 200m: yes its not to loud at this distance, but you will find the infiltrator.
    And at closer ranges (say 50m) you will hear that sound even in bigger battles and you WILL react to it because you know that sounds means a threat.
    Even in a big fight i can hear a cloaker decloaking behind me. No other class has such a big give away of its position (ok you can tell which max is near to you because all maxes have different moving sounds but im talking about free classes you dont have to pay for). The sound needs to be more silent with a max. 10m radius. We are talking about a stealth class not a "hey look here i am"-class
  17. raidneq

See this is a serious balancing issue, this shouldn't even be thing, having generators blinking when being sabatoged makes things difficult enough, a loud alerting sound makes hacking anything, very difficult.
  18. Navron

Then don't cloak so much. You can hack an entire gun deck on a Tech plant with enemies on deck and never be seen or have to cloak. If you cloak so many times in the same general area, you're bound to get caught. You also don't NEED to cloak every time you move around; that's probably the worst habit I've seen people have.
    • Up x 2
  19. Leivve

I also think you're whining over something that keeps the class balanced, because it allows some form of counter play.
    • Up x 1
  20. raidneq

but its not balanced, the infiltrator is supposed to be sneaky but due to a crappy and easily detectible cloaking device this is very hard to do.
    • Up x 2