Burst fire weapons being looked at!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Grumblefern, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Grumblefern

• Up x 1
  2. Cinnamon

It's not rocket science just set the first shot recoil multiplier for all burst only weapons to 1.

And yeah they did ask for feedback on the stream but it's not really that interesting to me.
  3. Iridar51

Without lower rate of fire, or, preferably, longer refire time between bursts, that's gonna be a straight upgrade.
    • Up x 1
  4. Cinnamon

Yes they are already overpowered but the question is how do get people who can't be bothered to learn their quirks to use them.
  5. z1967

Wooo! I'm relevant I guess. Guess I should start playing the game again, after exams.
  6. Iridar51

The answer is to make burst fire a beneficial mechanic instead of a thing you have to work around to get the best from your weapon.
  7. Cinnamon

Burst fire as a alternate mode isn't beneficial because it's more efficient to learn how to control the weapon in full auto. But burst only weapons are normally already buffed to be more accurate and in some cases have more ammo.

The reason why that is not seen as beneficial is that full auto guns fired manually in burst get the same end result of killing with headshots at most ranges. Generally just using the lowest ttk weapon with the most manoeuvrability is seen as best because you can't always apply that extra accuracy to effect in action. A weapon with highly accurate burst is a bolt action type "execution" weapon to use on people who stand still which is why the sabr is seen as not needing a buff.

Reducing the first shot recoil would basically allow casual players to learn to spray and pray burst rifles as if they were normal rifles. But it would also open them up as headshot monster rifles to other players in the same way as the sabr is, although it still isn't seen as a top tier competitive weapon.
  8. OldMaster80

Some are ok. For instance the Trac-5 Burst is imho pretty good.

Some are definitely not OK. Take for instance Battle Rifles, which have the lowest KPU / KPH among all the primary weapons. Outside the very small niche of long range engagements they perform quite bad. At least, you cannot compete at short / mid range using a Battle Rifle with laser sight. They simply have too much recoil for the damage they can actually deliver.

Another underperforming weapon is the TRAP. While it's not so terrible, it's surely lacking. It simply doesn't deal enough damage when using the single or the double burst mode (single burst mode deals the same damage as the Beamer, I wouldn't say this is OP...)
  9. Armcross

There is nothing wrong with my Repeater why are they planning to touch it?
  10. Grumblefern

They're not. They're looking at the weapons that have "Burst" in their names, generally awkwardly designed weapons very similar to the default primary weapons but with better accuracy stats with forced burst mode.

Main issue with them being that the defaults were never designed to be burst fire weapons so it didn't make sense to slap the feature on and then half-heartedly buff them in the same manner, with no nuance whatsoever.
  11. Iridar51

Interesting, haven't thought about it that way.
    But still, simply removing the FSRM is not an option, too powerful, too high potential for macro abuse.
  12. Shadowomega

Best option is to do what was done in Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 when it comes to burst weapons. Move the First shot recoil to the last shot in the burst, and tighten up the horizontal recoil.

Currently only two shot burst weapons are effective with burst as it seems in the three round burst the third round always a little wild, and thus not reliable. Other options would be to increase bullet velocity on these weapons as well as their on par with their none burst counter parts.
  13. Lucidius134

The burst fire code needs to reworked.

ATM it's a ****** click reliant full auto.

• Burst should have a slightly higher ROF than basic counter parts when bursting.
    • No matter your click rate, there should be a slight delay between bursts, in which recoil will start resetting
    • Clicking during delay would cause next burst to fire.
    Some of those.
    • Up x 1
  14. Dgross

Of course it was posted to reddit but not here....

I wish reddit would just go offline. Then they would be forced to use their own forums to give us news.
    • Up x 1
  15. eldarfalcongravtank

what about full-auto guns that can be fired in burstfire mode (by firemode switch). will they benefit from this planned buff/rework to burstfire weapons as well?

i hope they do. would be cool to give burstfire mode a straight recoil or accuracy buff (without buffing automatic fire of course!)
  16. FieldMarshall

Maybe removing FSM on burst variants would work if they lowered the ROF to compensate?

Also, maybe make it so that you could hold down the fire button instead of having to spam-click to get the most of your weapon.
    That way you deny people who abuse scripts, and also make the weapons equal for everyone.
    While also making the weapons less random and user-friendly (When i say random i mean if you spam click, your mouse may move around)
    Again, lowering the ROF of the weapon to something balanced would need to be done as well.