[Suggestion] At last deeper gameplay?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Raka Maru, May 30, 2015.

1. Raka Maru

Ever since Daybreak took over, it looks like the game is taking a turn for the better.

I'm just using the (Daybreak) reference as to the decisions that have been going on to turn this game into another FPS with bigger maps and more people rather than the Planetside that was the deep experience that I remember.

For example look at the Conquest Game Mode that Higby tweeted about. Disabling Instant Action and redeploy.

Then we have the return of Spitfire Turrets. Another good move.

The shallowness of Planetside 2 that was being developed is being looked over again and re-thought out, and I'm happy about that. This gives the game an option to play as something else rather than a "twitchy" person who has a big gun and can fire faster. Plans can be made, and stategies developed, rather than throwing a bunch of warm bodies into the grinder.

There were times when the base was overrun in Planetside 1 and all was lost, but I was still alive and I had to get out of that base alive and hoof it to a friendly base, or find a quiet spot to re-deploy to the sanctuary.

The best thing that Daybreak can do is to find the original team that worked on Planetside 1 and modify the game to what made it great, even if they are just to be consultants.

Remember Galaxy drops? People had to team up to actually do some good. Now we can spawn anywhere, so if a base is waaaay on the other side of the map, there is now no "Uh-oh, they will be here soon, but we can hold out until our faction gets here". No, everyone gets an order to re-spawn and go to that base, making it a very shallow game.

Perhaps this is a glimmer of hope in me as I noticed that small changes are being made after abandoning this game for about a year, until the PS4 version came out in beta.

I'm hoping the new game studio will look into EVERYTHING and see what they can do to make this a great game again, and that includes the certs, rules, suit slots, etc...
    • Up x 2
  2. Morti

I wish they'd change the core game instead of making new "game modes". Game is barely alive with 2 conts locked, imagine how it would be if 50% of the people decided to move to conquest.
    • Up x 2
  3. Grumblefern

They may be making it a game mode so they can trial it, live instead of just on PTS, before making permanent changes. If it's success, the base game may end up more like conquest mode.

Which is a good idea, because some of the large scale, meta changes in the past weren't an improvement.
    • Up x 3
  4. Morti

certainly hope so.
    • Up x 1
  5. SwornJupiter

The lattice in conquest, from what I hear, is miles ahead of the current implemented system :p
    • Up x 1
  6. Raka Maru

A "core" game change would definitely be better, and couldn't hurt the current state. Bring in the meta-game and logistics.
  7. Raka Maru

We can only hope so. When more people (including myself) abandon the main game to go to conquest, this may happily happen.
  8. AlterEgo

If I could want ANYTHING from the devs, it'd be making the factions more different. I just want to see more railguns, bullpups, and plasma launching armanents. That would be swell.
    • Up x 2
  9. Raka Maru

LOL, those disco balls coming at me were awesome, you could tell who you were fighting by watching the tracers... :)
  10. Raka Maru

Yet more hope for this game, take a look at the coming Sunderer Cloak. Brings back old memories.

Definitely a game changer when you have a quiet squad wanting to move in and do something.
    • Up x 1
  11. Garmus

Some changes to redeploy system and make logistic way more important than it is now? That sounds great! Finally a different attitude than nerf this and nerf that or adding visual things to cash shop instead of fixing gamebreaking bugs/exploits. If the logistic changes will hit the live server and works correctly and well, and the major exploits widely spread lately would be fixed, I will maybe even consider to call old friends to play Planetside 2 back again and give the game a second chance. Hmm, let's watch what Daybreak will do with the game :).
    • Up x 1
  12. Raka Maru

This is what I'm saying :) a whole different attitude than what we've seen for the past years.

I'm hoping they saw the COD clone version of PS2 was not working for the long run. I hope they (COD fans) will stick around however and see what a deep experience that Planetside was and can become again.

I've been enjoying PS1 since launch, was sad when the graphics aged and it was neglected. Rejoiced when PS2 came and tried to stick with it until I lost interest after all the decisions made these past years from PS2 beta until recently.

This is actually the light at the end of the tunnel, and I hope more people are seeing this attitude change.
  13. RedArmy

in that case, the base game goes without me, 9 year vet from PS1/PS2 play 1-2 hrs a day every day, paying member. -
    do not want conquest
  14. Raka Maru

I have to admit, I haven't tried Conquest yet, but willing to. Was just observing the changes that are happening to logistics.

Remember these?:
    Ant Runs
    Spawn tubes (that you could blow up)
    Sactuary
    Being class-less
    ACE's
    Suits that define what you can carry
    Being a sniper that was not a cloaker
    Cloaked AMS's
    Real mine fields (or turret fields)
    Hacking doors (or for that matter just having doors)
    Tanks that were scary (if you were on foot
  15. RedArmy

all the things that make PS1 better than PS2, im tempted just to go back to PS1 or just play other games on my PS4, i can draw on the dust collecting on it practially....
    • Up x 1
  16. Dowlphin

Nice to see that the new game mode is the opposite of what I cynically anticipated.
    You could probably solve two problems at once here: If offering people the choice between two game modes leads to splitting of the player population, you could still even go so far as considering leaving both modes activate at the same time, thus inviting people of both preferences. Just merge servers and that might work. Europe for example has Miller and Cobalt and they both seem technically identical. And you also have the continent-locking with which you can somewhat control effective population size.
    Although I could also imagine problems with offering two modes, because then you'd definitely attract a wholly different type of player with one of the game modes and that could trigger certain foolish decisions that would lead back to exactly what caused problems in the first place. It's probably really better if a commitment to one game mode is made.
    If I understand correctly, player names are unique across servers. Right? That would even more improve the possibly dynamic of server merges and splits, if necessary. But really, the only issue I see with server merges is if there are problematic outfits on a server that majorly influence the game, so what would have to be done is get rid of opportunities to do that. Namely: Once the Redeployside issue is fixed, there might be no reason not to merge servers. Or allow people to freely move between servers. That would be even more awesome. Or, even more elegant: Just make one server per geographical region (for latency reasons) and then add as many continents as you possibly need to cover prime time spikes.
    • Up x 1
  17. BrbImAFK

I fail to see where your optimism is coming from, given that the conquest mode you're fired up about is an instanced mode. All it's going to do is split the already dwindling playerbase!

In relation to the rest of your ideas... awesome. We need more of what made Planetside 1 good (in terms of deep meta, core mechanics etc.) and not piles of new stuff. I actually wrote a pretty substantial post on this myself, a bit back (see link in siggy).
    • Up x 1
  18. AxiomInsanity87

The devs generally have noting but negative problematic persons for feedback.

This thread was refreshing. If people could sort their feelings out and start thinking a bit bigger, like 2025 bigger then we may go somewhere.

When new things are mentioned, people need to think of how x can be implemented and how it would work rather than how it couldn't and how it could be op.

Thinking up problems never solved anything and it doesn't pay either.
    • Up x 1
  19. Raka Maru

It's not really the instanced conquest mode that I'm excited about. It's the shift in the thinking of the higher ups that would even think of changing something (although in steps) to bring back the logistics.
    • Up x 1
  20. BrbImAFK

Ah. Fair enough then. I'd like to think you're right and that we can expect improvements in the future, but I've been disappointed so many times I think I'm just gonna stick with my nice, safe cynicism! ;)
    • Up x 2