phoenix useless weapon?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DLL2, May 29, 2015.

1. DLL2

Hello,

Phoenix is totaly usrless vs striker or lancer. It's just good to kill anah turret or sniper, but it is impossible to hit a moving vehicle because of the slowness or the limits of the reach of 300m.

the weapon must be modified to attack vehicles, not the infenterie this is a rocket launcher, not sniper.
  2. HadesR

Phoenix is pretty much in the place it should be ..

Could maybe do with a few minor tweaks such as making it reload during flight to increase it's DPS without touching it's raw damage..

But it's no where near as bad as you make it ..
    • Up x 1
  3. Alchemist44

"totaly usrless vs striker"

wat
    • Up x 9
  4. Kcalehc

Phoenix is fine for everyone but you. Must be the Phoenix is bad? Riiiight.
  5. BlueSkies

Things the Phoenix is good for:

1) Engie Turret Hunter

2) Open Field MAX Hunter

3) A fun gimmick weapon to use when bored

4) Devastating when used in groups

Is it a great all arounder weapon? Hell no. Does it have its uses? Sure
    • Up x 5
  6. FateJH

I didn't know you were supposed to use the ESRLs against each other. Have we been playing this game all wrong all these months?
    • Up x 1
  7. Ronin Oni

4 man Phoenix teams are incredibly devastating.

Only reason we don't see many is Ravens are just better.
    • Up x 4
  8. HadesR

Never saw them before Ravens became a thing ... Since most NC think like the OP and don't see the potential ..
    • Up x 1
  9. Tratt

This times 10. Don't have to worry about getting sniped as a MAX (as of now) when controlling your rocket too.

I do enjoy the Phoenix for sniping engineers & their turrets when there are no Infls around though, as most won't shoot at the blueberry.
  10. Lemposs

NC really are masters of playing down their weapons. "nah, ravens are completely useless, just take cover", "nah, the airhammer requires to aim and shoot to be efficient, totally useless", "nah, the Vanguard shield is totally useless, just don't be in front of it", "nah the phoenix, rocket guided launcher, that I can hit things with from the comfort of the spawn room, is totally useless."

No the phoenix is a very strong tool, and one has to be a tool to not understand that :D

Sidenote: it is a freaking annoyance that is hard to have to deal with. A constant bombardment, almost no matter where you hide, is hard to deal with. The amount of vehicles I have lost to them, is quite a lot, usually by people who know when and where they are efficient.
  11. axiom537

No, it is because they require more work to be effective in groups compared to other launchers and solo they really aren't that effective, because the DPS is so low, that an engineer can easily out repair the damage done between shots from a single user...

If you have a group of VS with Lancers, in a group or out of a group (just in the same area), they can easily see what is being targeted and focus fire...The Phoenix, while it is effective in groups it requires another layer of coordination, such as team speak or a SL placing waypoints to indicate the target, because it generally needs to be launched out of LOS of the target or the user will easily get killed while the rocket is in flight. Once the Phoenix user ADS's and especially once it is launched, they are very tunnel visioned and really can not see where other nearby users are aiming their shots, so it is difficult to get randoms to focus on targets...

Don't get me wrong I think the Phoenix is a decent launcher, its good solo for killing engineer turrets and trying to finish off smoking vehicles and it can be very good in groups, but in general those groups need to be very coordinated and often need medic to revive the Phoenix users as they are sniper bait while the rocket is in flight.

My advice to any Phoenix user is to use it in groups, but while in groups you need one player to call out targets, or be the lead Phoenix rocket. What we do is get in a rough line behind the lead phoenix user. The lead Phoenix user, says in TS that he has a target and then he does a quick count down, when he says fire everyone else waits a split second and while in camera mode we are able to follow the lead phoenix rocket to the target. This in my opinion is the best technique for making the Phoenix effective and when you do it this way you can really ruin the enemy's day... There is nothing more awesome then watching a swarm of phoenix rockets following a single rocket into a target...

If you are going to make a Phoenix group, I suggest making sure you have at least 1 engineer, 1 medic and 1 Infiltrator with you. The Engineer provides Ammo and a Spitfire for over watch, the medic keeps people revived as they get sniped and the Infiltrator uses their recon device to see approaching enemies and provides counter sniper coverage and that leaves everyone else to be Phoenix users...Let the fun begin as you watch VS and TR Tears spill into the streets...
  12. Shiaari

Come into the light of Vanu. We will give you a Lancer, which--with practice--you can use shoot down Phoenix missiles. Yes, it can be done.
    • Up x 2
  13. FocusLight

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  14. Shiaari

If I only knew....
    • Up x 1
  15. Taemien

I think the OP is a troll...
    • Up x 2
  16. HadesR

My 4200 kills Disagree with you on the solo part ..

You just need to be sensible with your targeting in regards to vehicles ...
    • Up x 1
  17. axiom537

/Agree you need to be sensible, ie... my comment about looking for smokers or going after engineer turrets, which are easy OHK.

But...In general it really isn't a very good solo AV weapon, where it excels is in groups or cherry picking kills.
    • Up x 1
  18. DLL2

Why phoenix can not catch a sundy which is the slowest car of the game? It sould be AV and no AI.
  19. NinjaTurtle

Pretty much this

Lancer squads are just as deadly as well, not sure why I don't see many come to think of it
  20. Ronin Oni

Because just like Phoenix teams getting people to actually do the same thing together is tough...

you have to have a pretty tight nit group with lots of the same options to do those kinds of things

I used to be in a small but highly effective outfit in the first 6 mo of the game, and we'd do stuff like that. (no ESRL's at first of course)

I've ran a VS platoon before though with a bunch of random outfit members and just random joiners and trying to get a group of Lancers out is hard for w/e reason. Phoenix is 10x harder to get people together on.

However me and 3 of my friends have NC alts w/ Phoenix and we've had some fun for sure. They all quit playing a yr after release tho =\

I actually would maybe play more NC but for the fact they're FotM now on Emerald at least, and it's only going to get worse (much worse) with this new LMG pass (Nerfing the only 2 good VS LMG's and buffing NC's best??? holy hell)