[What if] MAX units were removed entirely from the game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaTurtle, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinjaTurtle

Would this actually be a bad thing.... why?
  2. FateJH

NS-10 Bursters.
    • Up x 7
  3. NinjaTurtle

Skyguard, AA locks ons, ESF interceptors, base turrets, Rangers and Walkers NEED to be buffed/tweaked anyhow

The Bursters should instead be turned into an engineer turret similar to the AI and AV turrets they already have access to
  4. janeTEXAS

Then Heavy Assaults would be the new Maxes, and everyone would cry to remove them.

Then Medics with their self heal, medkits and nanoweave would be harder to kill than the rest, so yea everyone would cry about it, they would remove medics

Then light assaults, omgz they can flank, they can fly, they run faster!! nerffff removee jet packss, remove light assaults!

Then Engineers with turrets and sticky nades omg remove turrets and sticky nades are so powerfull, remove.

At last infiltrators would play hide and seek with each other.
    • Up x 2
  5. HadesR

I'm sure someone will mention " But but MAX's break stalemates " despite the fact that the other side normally also have MAX's and you need your own to break the stalemates caused by theirs ..

So no IMO removing them wouldn't be a bad thing ..

Maybe they can remove MAX's from the new mode ;) instead of doubling their spammability.
  6. RedArmy

its not like maxes are hard, almost anyone can c4 1 shot them, or otherwise. tank mines are now gonna make it easyer
  7. AlterEgo

MAX Damage would hunt for you and every single person you have ever had an experience with.
    That includes me. :(
  8. Littleman

It would be a bad thing. I'd rather see HA removed.

MAXes are pure juggernauts.
    • They have a rev up time to sprint. Otherwise they're slow AND big.
    • They're mostly only short-medium range effective or otherwise extremely limited in target options or horrifically handicapped when attempting flexibility.
    • They have a large life pool, but nothing a short burst of concentrated fire can't force into a retreat if not annihilate outright, and they only have one immediate escape tool on a relatively long cooldown for an FPS.
    • Compared to normal infantry, they have very loud foot steps (TR's admittedly being the most silent in my opinion.)
    • They can't cap points.
    • They can not heal themselves (except for a suit slot.)
    HA by comparison...
    • Can easily move as fast as standard infantry. Are the same size as well.
    • Weapons can easily handle out to long range admirably. With 50-100 round magazines as well. Also have the only automatics with extended magazine options (like they actually need those?) Also, flexible and effective in all engagement opportunities.
    • Life pool is either standard infantry unshielded, to nearly double while shielded (resist shield mostly.)
    • Same footsteps as normal infantry.
    • Can cap points.
    • Can self heal easily.
    There's some overlap here. The only thing the MAX really has going for it is that a surprise ambush is much less likely to be an insta-death, and the fear factor can cause targets to turn and run as opposed to trying their luck in out gunning a shielded LMG.

MAXes add an element of "oh $#!%, time to rethink my approach" moment to a fight that apparently only I really appreciate, because as a softy I have several immediate advantages to bait the engagement to my tactical advantage. Likewise, I play as a MAX, my thinking changes from being a softy. People are more willing to set traps (like mines and C4) to take out a MAX, and that changes what I should be looking out for considerably actually. In both cases, it helps that people are predictable as hell. MAXes shouldn't be chasing people through door ways too eagerly, for example. HA... any combat tactic I can do as a medic/engi/infil I can do better as an HA. LA might be the exception, but the jetpack - like cloaking - is situationally useful, where as the shield is ALWAYS useful.
  9. FateJH

Oh, no. You didn't make accommodations for equipment re-appropriations in this thought experiment. And there's no sweetening it.

MAXes magically vanish; so, too, must follow their equipment.
  10. AxiomInsanity87

These kinds of threads about removing from the game should be locked and deleted for deconstructive clutter.
    • Up x 5
  11. Krayus_Korianis

"and they were replaced with BFR's." <_< You know you all were thinking it.
  12. Lucidius134

It won't happen so I won't comment.

People have spent collectivly thousands on cosmetics either indirectly or directly for their max, as well as weapons.

0% happening.

Reworked? Sure. Chances of that? Not as low but pretty ******* low.
    • Up x 1
  13. Kristan

Removing MAXes going to dumb down infantry play. You see, if you face infantry, most of your solutions to deal with it is to shoot at it. No big deal. You can't pull that trick on MAX. Well, you can, but with proper conditions, else it gonna kill you. You gonna need to find cover quick, check if you have C4 or Rocket Launcher, check if distance is right, engage fast enough for not to get shredded. It makes player to think fast and act fast, and I think it's a good thing.
  14. Hatesphere

I agree, it helps break up the battle flow and keep things more interesting. they can be shot up though, you just need to have a coordinated squad to alpha them down.
  15. RedArmy

ur just an ear to hear them comming and a quick hop around a corner with C4. even double claymores does the job well enough
  16. Grumblefern

Isn't going to happen, would be better to focus on how to improve their impact on the game which is largely negative except for the people who (ab)use them.

People argue point holds need to broken in some manner but I've seen it done w/out MAX spam. You need grenades and chaos and a fair number of units to throw into the grind but it's way more interesting than just zerging with MAXes.

And realistically, the turning point is more often just when population swings, not people overcoming with tactics. Plus the come-backs I've seen via tactics rather than numbers are usually the result of bored people spawn camping rather than defending points, then a gal drop on the points turns things around.

- - -

But they're likely here to stay so it'd be nice to see MAXes more customizable in purpose. Split their durability, utility, and lethality up so that they're never too much in one package and aren't used for KD padding/farming.

I'd say give MAXes serious shielding capabilities. A MAX push could consist of MAXes blocking the spearhead of an infantry push so they can get past a chokepoint. Then reduce lethality of AI, especially shotguns. So a MAX push =/= MAXes rush in and slaughter everything, while infantry is just there to cap and revive/repair.
  17. Plastikfrosch

I think maxes should stay because of AA and AV power. when the enemy comes up with a tank batallion and an air squat you want burster and raven/fracture/vortex-maxes on your side because a HA will die very fast because of 1 hit (even indirect if its HE shell) from 1 tank or from a zepher/duster/bulldog lib / lolpods. A max with flak armor can take a lot more and is more reliable in those siduations.
    I dont like playing AI maxes and i dont like playing against AI maxes BUT they are part of the game and its always possible to get them down especially as C4 fairy or HA (AV nades and launchers are a pretty effective - but i still think NC maxes should get rid of those instakill shotguns and get some automatic weapon with low rof but high dps like a pumped up saw for each arm).
    --> but in the end they are part of this game and should stay. Only thing they should think about is to get the timer back so that you have to wait 10min after pulling a max until you are able to get a new one even if you have enough resources.
  18. MarkAntony

that would make me very happy. the only reason to miss them would be for AA/AV duties.
    infantry farming with them is too easy.
  19. Leftconsin

1. Heavy Assault mains will be very happy because they will be the undisputed top of the food chain.
    2. Crashing a point will be much more difficult.
  20. Donaldson Jones

Dude Seriously ...Roll HA, Grab some AV nades and your dumb-firable RL of choice....You can even bring C-4 along.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.