New Game Mode... I Think I Just Guessed It

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MrJengles, May 25, 2015.

1. MrJengles

Really struck me out of the blue. To be clear, this is just a guess not a suggestion.

Lots of people have been asking to lead the newbies on Koltyr, so maybe that will be a "Hardcore" mode accessible for those above a certain BR. You get to fight with and against the new players but with a handicap of less health and maybe other penalties like no minimap.

Such a system would combat the concern that Koltyr might become a ghost town, would offer the chance to teach new players and still remain challenging. Also, it wouldn't split the community much beyond what Koltyr does already if it were in limited numbers.

Finally, this reply from Radar_X would make a lot more sense:

Cross-posted on Reddit.
  2. AlterEgo

Maybe. I actually admire that guess; newer players would find themselves ALMOST as advantageous as veterans. Then again, such a game mode may mislead them when they enter the real game, when veterans and new players alike have the same health.
  3. Foxirus

Hell no. BR100s DO NOT need to be on newbie island. I don't care what good intentions you guys try to put behind it, They will destroy any new players that tries to go against them. This DOES NOT need to happen. It needs to be Newbies versus Newbies.
  4. Lorr

I don't think they would pull something like that, since the new continent IS for new players to learn, not get killed repeatedly by veteran player. Keep in mind that veterans can just keep themselves in situations where they are hard to hit (such as snipering).

As for there not being enough new players, I'm sure Daybreak keeps track of how many newbies play Planetside, so I doubt that is going to be much of an issue.
  5. Wargrade

You mean newbies versus BR100 smurf accounts.
    • Up x 2
  6. Abraham with Cheese

I'd say that, if people do need/wish to lead on Koltyr, then a few things would have to be different.

No possibilities to cert into weapons or attachments.
    A big marker over their head denotating them (to allies) as a "leader".
    No possibilities to cert into vehicle slots.
    Mandatory squad leading/platoon leading, even if it's only a few players.
    Maybe some kind of mandatory "must use chat" feature?
  7. entrailsgalore

Smurfside ftw.
  8. Bhudda V1

the more i think about it, it sounds more and more like black ops from ps1 which i think many people would be ok with. also it fit's best into the "new game mode" niche that smed and the team are saying the new game mode is.
  9. Liewec123

i think when koltyr hits everyone will make a new character to try it,
    the main servers will become empty and after that point people will keep making new characters to play on the battle island,
    it might even be bad to have a membership and booster since you won't want to hit 15 fast.
  10. Regpuppy

If that's really what they mean, then I'm cool with it. But from what little information I've seen on it, I get the impression that this is not the case.

I mean, if it's what I think it is, I don't think it'll "kill the game" but I don't think I'll have a particular interest in it. Part of me feels like they're going to try something for the "competitive scene" which won't work out well for this game.
  11. Foxirus

At least with those smurf accounts they won't have access to their most deadly of weaponry.
  12. Bhudda V1

I would really like for it to be black ops it would feel more interesting and different for me even though i play the other factions already.

if it's something for the competitive scene I have a deep worry it's a complete waste of time. now that i think about it i think your right because they talked to the guys who do the scrims before anything, damn well that shoot's my theory up some.
  13. Shiaari

I think Daybreak should only allow certain high BR mentors onto Koltyr. It should require interested players to file applications, and they need to be choosy about who is selected. They could start by taking applications from the game's beta testers. That is a niche role that beta testers do fulfill in most MMOs in one form or another.
  14. Regpuppy

To be fair, they did post interest in black ops somewhere on the actual game forums. So it's a valid guess. But with the new information, I'm just feeling ambivalent about their plans.
  15. Bhudda V1

yeah it's in the wishlist section https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/high-br-goals-prestige.216588/
    knowing the history of ps2 I am still hopeful it's black ops but my unbelievably jadedness is catching up with me either way nice chat with you hope you have a good day.
    • Up x 1