Is it Time for Server merges ? ..

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, May 25, 2015.

1. HadesR

Ignoring the proposed new game mode .. Even if that was scrapped are the populations good enough or are merges in order ?

http://www.therebelscum.net/world-population/?world_id=-1&zoom=5

Connery for example is pretty much a one continent server .. The second one is pretty much just for the odd 1-12 / 24 and sight seeing ..
    • Up x 1
  2. Grumblefern

Meh. I like Connery as is. Smaller fights are usually more fun than overcrowded ones. Until some jerkwad brings a lib or people start pulling too many MAXes anyway.

Although they could maybe merge us with Briggs. Seems like a lot of Briggs players ended up here anyway.

Would definitely NOT want to merge with Emerald yet.
  3. _itg

The problem is, it would have to be a Connery-Briggs merger, and even after the torrent of complaints about Australian lag wizards died down, that still wouldn't bolster peak populations so much as the late night pop.
  4. HadesR

Should they start locking more continents then ? In Connery's case only having one open instead of two ?
    • Up x 4
  5. Simferion

Sorry, but at the moment the servers are unable to handle more population: when it grows up during the day there are many lag and hit detection problems.
  6. Villanuk

Imagine only playing on hossin, even more players would leave.

Merges are going to happen in order to keep the servers populated, its just a matter of when?
  7. Scr1nRusher

So currently PS2 has 5 live servers:

Briggs(AU)
    Connery(US west)
    Emerald(US east)
    Miller(EU)
    Cobalt(EU)

I could picture the EU servers being merged.

Briggs would probably stay where it is.

Emerald & Connery...... well who knows?
    • Up x 1
  8. P4nda

To correct you here, Miller and Cobalt have posted bigger populations each during their prime times than Emerald's prime time these last few days, though it's definitely not the norm.

Emerald, Cobalt and Miller have the 3 highest populations in the game, period.

Briggs is a ghost town (talking about 300-500 users at peak) while Connery is "ok" at roughly 1100 during peak.

For perspective, Cobalt, Miller and Emerald fluctuate from 1200-1800 during peak/prime time.

So if anything, Emerald and Connery would merge. Though judging by SOE-now-DBG's track record, they will never merge regional servers until the very last absolute final days of the game, when there are only a handful of players logging in on each servers.

Basically for any more servers to merge, the game will have to die. I'd bet you 20$ that we don't see another server merge for another couple years at least.
  9. _itg

I think that would be good. Connery definitely doesn't have enough population for 2 continents outside primetime.
  10. Liewec123

definitely would like a cobalt merge, these last few "patches" have been brutal for the population.
    it already felt quiet on all but 1 continent before the patches when we had around 1200 players at peak,
    now its between 800 and 900, a 25% decrease.
    spread over 159 miles squared it begins to get rather lonely...

apparently each server can take 6000 players and each continent can take 2000 players
    (which i think has been lowered since i've had queues recently and there has never been near 2000 players on the continent,
    as evidenced by less than 900 people playing!)
  11. Rogueghost

Connery should just embrace its destiny as the lag wizard server and merge with Briggs, we already have a ton of Japanese and Australians.

Connery prime time players won't benefit much, and I'm not sure many Australians will appreciate their ping being doubled, but Briggs is so dead that it needs to happen.
  12. ALTRego

Nah, the pops are fine. In fact they feel gr8.
    • Up x 1
  13. Regpuppy

I want a Emerald/Connery merge, purely for one last burst of excitement and awesome battles before the game dies down too much. :p
  14. n0pax

Too much negative press and red tape to merge Connery and Emerald. If the new server was on the west coast for example, it would be the final strike to put me over the edge to uninstall the game. I am sure a lot of other people agree and since they do not have any central USA datacenters and rumor has it they've been using the Emerald and Connery ones to host H1Z1 servers to cut down on PS2 costs a merger is not happening.

It simply is too expensive and they are not going to put that type of money into a game that has been killed off by BF4, CS:GO etc. That said it would be a nice gesture and would breath new life into the game for me. I often play at obscure hours and there is currently no reason to play, there are well under 200 players online on Emerald and with no funneling system fights very rarely occur, it is mostly PvE players online at that hour.

On the other hand I believe both EU servers are in the same location? If so that makes that highly likely by the end of the summer, especially since Cobalt's population is tanking.
  15. eldarfalcongravtank

no please, no merges! ping and latency is already atrocious on emerald. it was already a huge unplayable primetime lagfest nightmare when waterson and mattherson were merged. we dont need to repeat that same mistake
  16. Pikachu

If pops are too low on US servers then the game is dead there. No more merges for you until the one big merge when the EU population is down and the game is really dead. Expected next year.
  17. pnkdth

EU servers are in good shape. Saw Zoranthebear making a PS2 video. Better performance overall. PS4 release might just mean we'll see some actual changes to resources/meta. Not particularly happy about the changes to prices but meh...

Someone needs a break...
  18. maxkeiser

Putting the annoying crashes aside - which are currently stopping me from playing to a large extent (never had any crashes before the last patch, and now I get them randomly every 20 minutes) ...

I'd love to know where are the people leaving the game are going. There is no game anything like PS2. Nothing even comes close. It's not as if you can just go and pick up a similar/identical game.

Also, after playing PS2, everything else just seems very limited indeed. The sandbox nature of PS2 just makes other games seem small/limited in comparison.
  19. hostilechild

Population should decide the number of open continents, much better than a merger. If they fix enough stuff, maybe some will come back and we don't want servers much fuller, dam hamster wheels can't handle it.
    • Up x 1
  20. Eternaloptimist

Lose a continent (my vote goes to Hossin) and update the others, rather than server merges. I know it is the more complicated option but I often find available continents are full on Cobalt or Miller when I try to redeploy to them.