Is this still legit or what?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cookie5000, May 21, 2015.

1. Cookie5000

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/30/planetside-2-soe-details-its-3-year-plan-wants-to-run-until-2025-if-possible/

Smedley has been promising things for years... but Im still wondering if any of those things are still going to make it into the game in the foreseeable future. All interesting ideas and three years later its still all just a dream.

EDIT: Well since the link doesn't work here was the stuff on the page:

Smedley then listed the team’s ideas:
    • Player Owned bases – we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We’re also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.
    • Harvestable resources – imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.
    • Water between continents – seamlessly – this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.
    • Lots more vehicles and weapons – just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.
    • NPC enemies – I don’t want to call this PVE. That’s not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn’t a bunch of quest givers saying “go kill 10 rats” – this is bad *** aliens that want to gut you.
    • NPC armies – imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it’s in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn’t another game mode. It’s all part of the same game.
    • Esports support – we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.
    • Weather
    • Mac version (soon after launch).
    (All of this was said by Smedley when PlanetSide2 first launched free to play in 2012)
  2. Leftconsin

Link broken. I believe I know the article you are referencing from two years ago. If I am correct you should toss all those dreams right in the trash bin. Planetside is under new management.
    • Up x 3
  3. Cookie5000

Sucks, all of those ideas sound like badass. Water between continents could introduce some epic naval battles and island bases. Kind of like a ArcheAge type thing. Too bad we'll never see that.
    • Up x 1
  4. Tommyp2006

None of those things were ever more than hopes and dreams to begin with, there was never any substance behind what he was saying.
    • Up x 1
  5. Yuki10

They said - after launch. As soon as they get out of beta (maybe by 2018)
    • Up x 3
  6. Pikachu

I think that plan broke when they had to merge servers 2 months after release. It took 4 months before it happened though.
  7. AxiomInsanity87

Who cares about Mac though, seriously.
  8. Czarinov

Maybe someone who uses Mac and MacOS?...
  9. AxiomInsanity87

No. Even those people know that resistance is futile.
  10. Czarinov

resistance to what?
  11. toast2250

And they did. The themselves stated that the game had basic core game play. And with nothing else than the basic core gaming they went full speed to MLG with no meta or anything really. Not even a proper spectator camera, not to mention that they most certainly didn't Vsync properly and the video/game was tearing itself.

Its like slapping 4 tires on a skeleton chassis with a motor and then full speed in to the wall.

Back then I had a felling that it was not a good idea, I didn't judge them and actually hoped it would work out, who knows, nothing is certain unless you try.

Only now they have actually (but very slowly) began to work on ideas/something that will actually start changing/shaping the game for the better or worse.
    • Up x 1
  12. MikeyGeeMan

Yes to all of this. Please. I'll be the first to buy an outpost.
  13. BloodyG

Sure it will happen!!!

Smed is totally trustworthy, not shady at all :D.
    • Up x 1
  14. Cookie5000

I guess we'll just have to wait for PlanetSide3 huh?
    • Up x 1
  15. Turekson

I was not aware that these things were even spoken of at some point. I would part with a pint of my blood and one of my kidneys if it would help making these reality.

I mean, just the water btwn the continents and weather would be awesome, not to talk about harvestable resources.
  16. Dgross

Smedley is like Maverick.
    His promises are writing checks his development team can't cash.
  17. Cookie5000

The harvestable resources actually give the giant crystals on Esamir and Corals on Indar some purpose. We could have some tpye of special vehicle to mine those.
  18. Pootisman

Because of this list and the roadmap i started playing PS2. Especially the part with NPC armies and resources sounded interesting. (My favorite genres are FPS and RTS, if you combine them = potentially the BEST GAME EVAR)

3 years later ... nothing of it is in the game. I stopped playing in January because the lag was unbearable and to be honest i don't have any motivation to come back because all updates i see are bugfixes and some balance changes. Bugfixes are a good thing, but they really need to make some content and significant changes. We are playing redeployside for almost 3 years now, many players have left the game out of sheer boredom.
    • Up x 1
  19. Crator

Smed the dreamer
    • Up x 1
  20. Nocturnal7x

Also the game has been out how long and they released one new continent? really?