[Suggestion] Buff the Skyguard.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DawnofWar11, May 14, 2015.

1. Tululaboo

Better watch out for me then, I fly at ground level with dumbfire missiles >.<
  2. Yessme

Dit we Play that same GAME???? 3000 HP for an ESF? I wish u can make sure my ESF got 3000 HP

OK now the fact of ESF
    http://www.ps2calc.com/#vehicle1=ESF

The next **** what u talk about an ESF.

Reave have max Speed, 200 km/h without AB
    The fastet ESF is the Mossi and got a max Speed from 220 km/h

when i look what u wride, i Thing u are underperformet..................

3 sundys with Fury and repairkit absolute nightmare for all MBT`s. 3 Harasser with Enforcer, absolute nightmare for all vihecles.

But the Point is, they don`t clean a hex of all Vihecle.

3 Skyguards clean the hole Sky of a hex.. Yep Skyguard is OP.

OK now i am with u guys.
    Buff Damage from 0-150m hard (to 150), but after 150m, from 150-200m he hafe a hard Damage drop to 50 and after 250m Skyguard take a hard Bulletdrop..

So u guys clear with Lib, if he come Close to u, and ESF Pilots clear with Skyguards, coz no Skygaurd can shoot u now 3 bases away.
  3. JohnGalt36

I was actually laughing last night, because after writing this, I got shredded by Hornets like three times in a row in my Skyguard. I was playing like an idiot, though.

Rocket pods don't bother me, though. Usually, I will beat them in a Skyguard.
  4. NinjaKirby

[IMG]

I think the Skyguard's alright, btw. Tricky weapon to modify without OPing.
    • Up x 3
  5. ColonelChingles

So what I get from this is that the only way a Skyguard gets kills is if the enemy happens to be nice enough to feed me kills?
    What other vehicle in the game is so pitiful that it has to depend on the enemy contributing so much to its own death for that vehicle to get kills?

Uhhh... it's pretty well documented that all ESFs have 3,000 HP. And PS2 Calc is heavily outdated... not to mention that it doesn't even include Skyguard data.

Those figures are with Racer 3 + using space (thrust). Those speeds are perfectly achievable in-game... if you do know that pressing the spacebar and using thrust can bump your speed up. Which I would assume you know, as you appear to be a pilot.

The data clearly shows that Liberator Daltons are killing more aircraft per hour of usage than Skyguards are.

AKPH
    Liberator Dalton- 10.61-12.36
    Lightning Skyguard- 5.35-5.73

That's how bad Skyguards are. Even A2G weapons act as better AA weapons than a Skyguard.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mongychops

The Skyguard, and AA in general is just like every long range AV weapon relies on vehicles over-committing to get kills. If you start shooting a vehicle at render range as soon as it leaves cover, of course it will drive right back into cover, just like a Skyguard shooting at render range aircraft. If a single Skyguard could gib all air within the same hex, then just a couple of Skyguards could gib all air in neighbouring hexes as well. The poster child for this is the Lancer / Vortex. A single one is an annoyance, an entire squad is like a martian heat ray sweeping through the pitiful human tanks. Except for Hossin, there is even less cover in the air than on the ground, so the scaling of long range AA is at least as big an issue as the scaling of long range AV.

Except the Dalton has long been established as a combined AV and AA weapon. This was acknowledged with the LIberator nerfs, where a proposed velocity nerf was rescinded due to pilot outcry at the nerf to A2A, and the implemented reserve ammunition nerf was partially reverted (it went from 120 down to 40, then back up to 50) due to the small ammunition pool resulting in problems during air combat. Those original nerfs were proposed based on A2G, but reverted on the basis of A2A. Just looking at tooltips is misleading, though if you want to do that, just look at the one for Liberator composite armour, which specifies Dalton resistance as a feature.

The biggest reason for the difference in AKPH is obvious, difference in playstyle. Firstly, if you can't hit aircraft A2A with the Dalton, you aren't going to be flying very long, and so contributing to the shortening of the "hours" of kph. Secondly your speed as a Lib means you can go after the air in a way that a tank can't, but also your visibility means that more often than not, the air comes after you, engagements are much closer and much more decisive, the enemy usually either dies or wins, there is far less running away. Comparing the two weapons is ridiculous.

In my opinion the change with the Skyguard needs to be the platform, not the weapon. I suggest changing "Top Armor" from the present form (-10% damage from above) to a ~50% reduction in damage taken from all aircraft weapons, but a ~10% increase in damage taken from all other sources (to prevent other lightning loadouts using it). That change would help prevent it being gibbed by a lone Lib in most situations, and partnering well with repair Sunderer's in groups (doubling the effective health healed by repairs).
  7. ScrapyardBob

Pretty much that. The skyguard is finely balanced at the moment and is extremely effective at 300-600m behind the front lines.

I would like to see some sort of "aircraft RADAR" with a 500m range, similar to what the ESF has, but DBG would have to re-design too many things for that to function, plus make it toggleable and give it downsides (it lights up threat receivers in the air units and spots you on the mini-map).

Those who have trouble with Skyguards are trying to brute-force their way to success and are probably too close to the front lines or not positioning themselves properly.

Good tactics:
    • Keep your backside against cover so that it's harder for that ESF/Lib to sneak up on you
    • Don't shoot unless you have a sure kill against something that is smoking
    • Don't shoot just to harass unless you are well guarded / protected
    • Shoot-and-scoot (change locations after 2-3 clips)
    • Stay 200+ meters behind the front lines, towards the middle of the skirmish line
    • Alternately, stay 300-500m back and run Vehicle Stealth and be selective about engagements
    • Use headphones and listen for Libs/ESFs
    • Forget zoom, use night vision so you can see through smoke out to 1000m
    • Don't shoot at things more then 700-800m away unless you have to
    • Behave like a trap door spider, not a bull in a china shop
  8. Tululaboo

That is just bad luck my friend >.< Hornets are nasty if they get you though... I swear it was not me >.< my gameplay is just god aweful... seriously, I cannot even shoot straight >.< but I do have an excuse hehe
  9. ohknoh

Okay..the skyguard. It's purpose is to force it's preferred target to avoid it. In essence, it's primary job is to keep aircraft from loitering in the area. It's not designed to kill targets, and that's the main problem with it. When you're in a skyguard, your role is to pick fights with targets that can destroy you in seconds, but that you can only hope to force off unless they make some mistake. Your at the mercy of anyone who decides to try and destroy you. You can't kill infantry effectively because of the CoF, you can't kill vehicles, and you can't reliably kill air craft.

I think the balance between skyguards and esfs is pretty balanced, unless that esf is carrying an anti tank load, in which case they can pick you apart pretty easily. Liberators have absolutely no problem vs skyguards. Even if things go badly for them, they can easily escape the area, repair, and come back. All it takes is 3 or 4 seconds with the tank buster, and the skyguard lightning is dead. Or the easier method, to simply have your gunners take it out.

To me, the simplest fix for the skyguard would be to lower its cost by 100 nanites, down to 250. This would lesson the blow of having to pull a platform that can do nothing but force enemy aircraft to exercise caution when attacking.

Increased damage, or cone of fire would have side effects, just decrease the cost of pulling a skyguard, and maybe make it have baseline improved top armor. For me, stealth is a must for my skyguard, to keep me out of harms way of ground based threats, and to allow me to catch aerial targets by surprise.

So, cheaper, and more top armor baseline.
  10. Mianera

OP you have seriously ill or something if you believe that you alone in a Skygard deserve to have the power to plow down 4 galaxies on your own.

There is more than enough AA atm, too much in fact. You clearly never fly.

Log on during prime time and tell me how long you can survive on your server whilst below 150m. Cuz I bet you wont even make it past the first 24-48 equal fight without getting eaten by flak and lockons.