Cloak is worthless.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ballto21, May 11, 2015.

1. Ryo313

experimental stuff...
    but i get your point and tbh i like your idea and it doesn't make the infiltrator more op because he still needs to become visible to be able to do things ( like shooting or hacking...)
  2. LT_Latency

You not suppose to be 100% invisible.

The game would be frustrating as heck if really really good player could hide anywhere with 100% invisible and just pop you out of no where.

If you are 10 feet for a guy and he is looking right at you and nothing is distracting him....Your going to get spotted
  3. Ballto21

its less an issue with deepcloak and more an issue with moving cloak (although deepcloak has a lot of issues, most of which are bugs and human perception, only one of which can be fixed anyway)
  4. Get2dachoppa

Ok, so we agree Infiltrators are currently too easy to spot. So what is the problem in fixing the cloak bugs and making the cloak, particularly the deep cloak, less visible?

Logical fallacy. No need to comment on this.

And I've got well over 50 days of playing the Infiltrator class alone and I've had more experiences of being seen in deep cloak than I can keep track of. Some I can attribute to moving at a poor time, not getting into deep cloak fast enough, or just bad positioning and bad luck...but there are also plenty of times when I've had no clue how I was seen short of a hack or bug. I really wish I had video recording so I could show off all those WTF moments because I'd probably have a good compilation to put together if I did.
    • Up x 3
  5. Czarinov

No, we didn't agree. I was ironical.

more like lack of understanding on your side...

I was speaking ONLY of situation when you didn't hit your presence by other stuff. And I was NEVER spotted in deep cloak unless I did a mistake or got dark lighted.

Yeah I too wish you had that video.
  6. Navron

Relevant (start at 9:00)

• Up x 1
  7. Get2dachoppa

So you were being sarcastic. So lets focus on deep cloak alone...what would be the problem if deep cloak had the bugs cleaned up, if an Infiltrator entered deep cloak state twice as fast, and was far less visible? Maybe not 100% invisible, but none of this "don't pivot in place, don't cloak in broad daylight, don't cloak against solid structures, etc" list of things that still isn't full proof we have to deal with now.

Hardly. Your statement was both a false dichotomy (you either easily spotted that cloaked infiltrator or you didn't and he killed you) and denying the antecedent (ex. "Of course this dinosaur repellant works, do you see any dinosaurs around?"). I really shouldn't have to explain any further why such a claim is nonsense and illogical.

I'm flat out calling BS on this.
  8. Czarinov

Yeah, sarcastic, messed the words up.

Maybe there would be no problem. I just don't really have the problem now. Also "don't pivot in place" and "don't cloak in broad daylight" haven't really bothered me...

Maybe I didn't put it perfectly, but you perfectly know what I meant.
    Well, if you didn't get it... that just tells more about you than me.

Lol, call whatever you want. Don't forget to record next time.
  9. Ballto21

poor bastard, actually expecting his ability to help him. i was just looking around and saw his foot.
  10. Rhumald

this isn't a good example, unfortunately, he stepped backwards long enough to pull 'em out of deep cloak.

You probably would have missed 'em if 'e was wearing a dark camo and hadn't cloaked, though.
  11. Jubikus

I think balto is trying to get across that the infiltrators ability is the only one in the game that a skilled player completely negates the bonus of the ability. Stalker is a weird thing in general and no it doesn't make you completely invisible but i believe it should and heres a few reasons i feel infiltrator needs at least some small changes.
    -Infiltrators in general have 100 less shield than other classes which means we are at a disadvantage with head on engagements The cloak is supposed to help us flank our enemy which it kind of does by getting us close but within 20ish meters but after that even a cloaked infil sticks out like a sore thumb
    -Reason to be salty about the above well light assaults jet pack is just as good if not better at getting you in close to the enemy to kill them without the 100 shield penalty and have access to shotguns and carbines
    -Stalker infiltrator in addition to the standard 100 shield penalty you trade in your primary weapon to be really hard to see when your not moving this works just fine for ambushing and killing non heavys on the outskirts of battle but if a battle is going youll be lucky to take one person out before being obliterated.
    -In addition to stalker cloaking not being completely invisible you still have the option to put a darklight on a sidearm or your primary to find the infiltrator which leaves us with the only ability in the game with a hard counter designed solely to screw it over theres no nano piercing rounds to stick on my gun so that it ignores a heavys shield instead of soft point ammo no sure dead ammo so people i kill cant be revived (srsly somone explain to me why we have the only ability with a direct counter to an ability that already for the most part gets negated by simply training yourself to notice it)
    -the only place i believe cloak works as needed is for sniping because with vehicles running around it would be impossible in most large battle to get to a decent sniping spot without it and at that distance you are completely invisible allowing you to take shots with little danger granted at this distance its pretty easy to not get shot by simply moving a bit at all times because even really skilled snipers cant read your mind and land shots regularly on somone whos moving in small random ways.

All in all the only thing i would like is at least give us the same healthpool as everyone else our ability tho good in its own right is the only one that has a drawback nobody else has to pay for their ability and sure heavys are slightly slower while their shield is up but thats a temporary tradeoff for 65%(700 shield - activation fee) more health than who they are fighting where i have a 100 less shield permanently for the chance that someone might not see me trying to get close enough to ambush their friends
  12. MrGrampybone

Gonna have to agree that the cloak is broken. I do feel that deep cloak is ok most of the time but the cloak while moving is way too poor.
    It was fine a while back when the cloak would not save you from being spotten up close but worked well at a bit of distance so you could more easily approach a base. Now its pretty much useless at all ranges. I even get spotted and killed by aircraft that just flies by over my head.

So yeah, when it's actually better to run without the cloak because of the extra time it takes to decloak you know it needs a bit of a buff.
  13. Czarinov

Not a good example, since he moved. Though I would not be against visibility increase delay, so one can move a bit without losing deep cloak.

However, Ballto, please don't ignore the vid of Navron

This is how it went for me everytime I played stalker. Tons of people running past me... Though I would get bored and start being aggressive and get killed eventually.
  14. SmallSpoiledBrat

Cloak, verb
    hide, cover, or disguise (something).

"she cloaked her embarrassment by rushing into speech"
    When you hide something, it doesn't become invisible.
    When you cover something up, it doesn't become invisible.
    When you disguise something, it doesn't become invisible.
    Seeing how, even when cloaked, you are still part of the same dimension as everyone else nothing passes through you. People can physically interact with you by walking into you. People will notice.
    Cloak does what a cloak is supposed to do. It makes things harder to see, not impossible.
    /Thread.
    • Up x 1
  15. MrGrampybone

Not quite /thread....
    Not saying cloak should make you invisible but it should make you harder to see which it does not do well enough. Only deep cloak does that well enough right now.... while moving it should be more visible then deep cloak for sure but not as visible as not and not at such extreme ranges.

Right now the drawbacks far outweigh the slight advantage the cloak gives you.
    If you run into someone while cloaked the decloak delay will often get you killed.
    The cloak sound will very often give away your position and even when they can't pinpoint your exact location it will alert any enemies in the same base that a infiltrator is around as the range of the sound is way to long.
  16. SmallSpoiledBrat

If you want to be effective while using a cloak become a lagwizard so you can shoot before the other person can see you decloak.
  17. Ballto21

I didnt notice him move, upon reviewing that clip he may have been transitioning. I only saw his feet as i was just turning around to revive someone.

Im not denying you can do very well cloaked, and cloak can work well, but its spottable enough to call BS on. Again, deepcloak, in general, is fine. There are some issue with it and it could use a touchup, but the main issue is moving cloak, which does certainly need some kind of fix
    • Up x 1
  18. Ballto21

i didnt notice him move, reviewing makes me think he was transitioning. point taken
  19. breeje

hi, i did some more testing with the stalker cloak and your absolutely right
    i did not see this change because i play the blackhand on my infil
    now i tested whit the knife only and it's harder to play then in the past

i remember when i was sitting in the middle of an group of enemy's killing one by one in the past
    now they see me sitting completely still :(

devs give me my cloak back

[IMG]

or i will shave your head when you are sleeping :D
  20. Navron

Dunno if you watched the whole thing but I thought that moment I got spotted at 4:30 was pretty dope.