[Suggestion] Right now the splitfire turret SUCKS

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by prodavit, Apr 9, 2015.

1. prodavit

So the split fire turret had to be the biggest waste of money or time depending on what you did to get it. It does almost no damage, It have a slow movement time, it have really low health, and you can only carry one. WHY? It is not balance, AT ALL. If it have at least one of these thing fix it will be okay. WHY would the dev ever make it so you need to go back to resupply it? I get if it does more damage or have more health but did doesn't. The best fix for this turret is putting in on a timer so you don't have to run back to get more, like 30sec to a min so we can't spam it or make it so we can carry 2 and deploy 2 at a time. Any of these will make the turret more balance, it will still be underclass but make it more usable.
    • Up x 1
  2. prodavit

if you want to see an op turret try anti vehicle turret, that thing can be spawn endlessly and kills a meg rider in 2 shots, not to mention it goes where you're pointing which means you can correct where it's going. It make the heavy class useless and it cost the same to get as the splitfire. If this doesn't make my case that the splitfire need a buff IDK what will.
  3. ZZYZX

No, it doesn't kill any MBT in 2 shots.

However, you're correct in that the Spitfire does need a buff of some sort to make it suck just a little bit less. It's a waste of certs at this point.
    • Up x 9
  4. RedArmy

i dont think it needs a buff, it just needs to be smaller - atleast 50% smaller like the turrets in PS1 - this is the future were talking about here. nothing needs to be that big.
    the Spitfire is really meant to be a deterrent weapon, go down a hall, get shot at a bit and think, "hmm lets try another way" and ats great for letting you know when people are sneaking up on you, or provifing you that extra chance of surviving an attack when defending a room
  5. prodavit

I don't understand why you need to run back to get more? the damn thing does way too little damage and health to have to keep running back to get more. put it on a 30sec timer or a min timer that's the time it would take to go back resupply and run back or just redeploying.
    • Up x 2
  6. JobiWan

This turret is growing on me, I've got 30 kills with it now, which is 30 more than I expected to get. Really useful to defend sundys and capture points as it alerts you to people sneaking up.

OP why do you keep calling it a splitfire?
  7. Vargs

This isn't TF2 where the turret is the whole point of your class and effectively plays the game for you. It's just another tool in your large bag of tricks. All you're giving up is one item slot. They shouldn't be anywhere near as strong as another full player.

The turret can alert your team to nearby enemies, it can really screw with light assaults, it can supplement your damage on a target, it can work as a distraction, and occasionally it can take out people who are low on health or preoccupied with something else. In groups they can even be somewhat dangerous. Unlike the AI/AV turrets, the spitfire is very hands-off. You drop it and can then continue on to do your own thing elsewhere. Also unlike the AI/AV turrets, spitfires aren't really situational and can always be at least slightly beneficial, whereas the other two will be unused a whole lot of the time.

If it was any stronger it would be the most frustrating garbage ever for everyone else.
  8. Skooma Lord

Hey instead of just buffing it they can add certifications to it!
    Maybe cert lines like:
    • Higher R.O.F
    • Longer sensing range
    • Faster Scanning speed
    • Remote control mode
    • Slower R.O.F., but ability to damage vehicles
    • Stealth (cloaked like infiltrator when not shooting)
    • Auto repair
    • "Walking" turret stand (Allows turret to "walk" and petrol a small area)
    • Fortress mode (less damage for better armor)
    • Player Spotter mode (spots enemies for everyone it shoots at)
    • Faction Specific Weapon - might be hard to balance tho
    • Shield depleting mode (shoots a beam that rapidly drains enemies energy shield)
    • No terminal mode (allows spawn of turret without going to a terminal, more levels reduce time limit)
    (Some of these may used at once, some only one at a time like the walking mode)

We need more depth to the game in my opinion, adding cert lines to items that have little or no cert options can create different game play styles just from one item. There are so many different things that can be done.(I think)
    • Up x 7
  9. prodavit

by your respond you dont use them, so you won't know. you must play as light assult alot to hate them. But what I'm asking for is a cool down timer like 30sec to a min which is the time it would take to run back and get more. I understand that if you dont have the splitfire you wouldnt want them to get buff but if you really want to see how badly the thing sucks you should try using it and see how fustated you get.
    • Up x 1
  10. EarlofSunderer

I think 30sec/1min cooldown is a very reasonable change.
    • Up x 1
  11. Shiaari

This.
  12. qiray12

Yes it sux but it requires 0 skill to get kills with it if they spotted the target it shoots at that would be great or a no cloak area around the turret.

If you want it have kill potential give it chaingun like weapons on it so it would do more damage the longer enemiea are in its range.
  13. Goretzu

I dunno I think it takes a fair bit of skill (or at least experience, planning and thought) to get kills from it, you've got to think about its position quite a lot for it to be able to hit anything and not just be killed straight away by enemy fire outright.

Sunderers might be the main exception to this, but then C4ing Sundys isn't exactly a high skill occupation either.
  14. qiray12

True dat. But i hope you get the idea i kinda tried to explain there. Its like mines every kill you get with it is a free kill.
  15. Zica96

If they would just add higher ROF and dmg i would be happy but everything that you said here NEEDS to happen man.
  16. prodavit

come on I heard alot of people calling heavy shield, push F to win. I get where you're coming from but I don't agree. I think PVE will do this game some good just like the first PS game. even adding NPC will even out some of the battle and make the game more fun instead of a farm fest. I play this game for fun and placing things here and there to trick my emerny and kill them is fun for me. I don't like to play in a way like a big daddy kill fest that's mindless killing that use very little brain power.
  17. Kubin

While I'd love pretty much all of your propositions, I have one of my own that doesn't necessarily go along with of them, but it's (imho) some sort of a sidegrade to your propositions:

Maybe reduce Spitfire to like 30% of its current size (so it'd be a pretty small bugger) and make them stick to surfaces like walls and ceilings (either by deploy mode or by throw-n-stick like C4)? If Spitfire was given such a feature, there would be no need for cloaking etc. and it would be somewhat reasonable to keep them at their current strength. I do, however, simply ADORE your ideas and some of them would fit that "sticky spitfire", like:

- Stealth: No cloak or anything, but stealth spitfire doesn't make that R2D2 sounds and is suppressed when firing.
    - Remote Control: Allows the Engi to take control of Spitfire via choosing Spitfire on his weapon list while it's already deployed. Engi would then equip a small tablet-ish device and enter remote control mode by clicking LMB. Exit by pressing RMB (and automatically when Spitfire is destroyed, obviously). While it's effectively neutralising the main (well... the only) advantage of Spitfire, which is acting on its own, it would also get rid of its disadvantage, which is target aquisition time, since the player controlling the turret would fire as soon as HE sees the target. So basically you'd get a weak-but-automatic turret that you can upgrade (by putting your attention and time in it) to smarter (well, as smart as the player controlling it) turret.
    - Auto Repair: Pretty self-evident - Spitfire repairs itself when not taking damage for fixed amount of time.
    - Shielded: Spitfire has somewhat better armor AND is immune to EMP effects.

Choose one at a time, obviously, and one additional, passive certline:

Spitfire Reconstruction: Instead of having to resupply at the terminal, restore a Spitfire in your inventory over time. More certs = shorter cooldown. Also - if you visit a terminal, it resets your cooldown.

To a degree it'd be like your personal, deployable LA. Not the best, but it WILL surprise the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  18. thebigbortishbort

a very simple suggestion , allow holding two turrets to which you can place at the same time :O
  19. Wargrade

I find it works amazingly well as an early warning system against C4 fairies.
  20. Marka Ragnos

me and a buddy of mine put our two turrets near each other then use smoke grenades on the "Solstice SF" attachment and spam the area. turrets can see them but they cant see they turrets. well only those few who run around solely with thermals have the advantage here,

One bad thing about this tactic is if you use it in the wrong spot you will have friendlies TK you because they think your just grieving the area for friendly when that isn't the case.