NS: Chariot

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sebastian oscar post, Mar 27, 2015.

1. sebastian oscar post

really i meant a big drop ship that can take a huge amount of damage before going down. not necessarily bring back the small Lodestar but make a gigantic vehicle transport that functions similar if not better to a Lodestar.
    thats what i'm imagining.
  2. sebastian oscar post

its a shame none play planetside 1 anymore.:(
  3. Hammerlock

[IMG]
    something like this ?
    or more this ?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  4. sebastian oscar post

no something like this only more futuristic and more badass:
  5. TheBlindFreak

Jesus Christ, that's a horrifying prospect.
  6. sebastian oscar post

ok so thats out of the way:
    Any concept art anyone?
  7. sebastian oscar post

also hammerlock that gif is hilarious!
  8. Stigma

It's cool as a concept, and we had the lodestar in PS1 - but it does not really fit into how PS2 currently works.

In a game that currently has very little appreciable degree of logistics - it makes little to no sense to have a vehicle that purely performs long-range transport. (the valk is more of a small drop-squad-on-point vehicle, so it has it's niche despite not being much of a battle-vehicle).

It would pretty much always be a better idea to just redeploy to an appropriate base and pull a tank close to where you want it. The ONLY real limitation in this game when it comes to pulling a tank (and only MBTs) is on Esamir IF you don't have the techplant. That's the only situation where you might want a lodestar - and then only as a throwaway deployment tool to skip the drive if you happened to have no other good use for your magically regenerating nanites. For this to have a point there would need to be meaningful limitations on where you could pull vehicles, and a meaningful cost to teleporting across the map.

The rest of the time it would just be "abused" to drop tanks and sunderers into places in bases where they were never intended to be by the designers. Spawn-sunderers hidden away on inaccessible rooftops, biolabs chock-full of harrassers and lightnings with HE weapons, wall-enclosed bases becoming just as HE camped as any base on Indar... that would be the actual use and consequence of such a tool.

Don't get me wrong - I'd personally like a game where logistics had more impact and a vehicle transport like this had a role to fill - but there are so many underlying mechanics design choices that have been made in the opposite direction that you just can't fit that sort of thing in anymore - not without redesigning some of the core mechanics (and that seems unlikely at this point).

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  9. ExarRazor

don't forget that the lodestar, in addition to being able to transport other vehicles, also acted as a mobile repair and rearm platform for said vehicles
  10. sebastian oscar post

this stuff should of been implemented from the beginning.
  11. RykerStruvian

That...sounds like a lot of fun lol. Like, that would so sick. But you're right, the lodestar doesn't work for PS2. Stigma pretty much lays out what some of the issues behind that are. Maybe there could be something for Planetside 2 2.0 for September to go along with the resources system, but right now such a vehicle would probably find more abuse than use.
  12. FieldMarshall

I think this is better anyway. Easier on the eyes and all that.
  13. sebastian oscar post

you've whiten that in pure black! XD
  14. sebastian oscar post

well ok....
    heres an idea: how about instead of a new air vehicle, the devs get a vehicle logistics module introduced instead for the galaxy.
    THAT way Daybreak is saving money and time on testing, designing, implementing and if necessary redesigning and so on.