What should(in your opinion) be the Primary roles of each vehicle & aircraft?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Apr 30, 2015.

1. CursoryRaptor

If it were up to me, I'd improve vehicle customization options to the point where every vehicle can perform the same missions as every other vehicle, as long as it's given the correct loadout.

This would include giving the Galaxy, Sunderer, and Valkyrie the option to forfeit their passenger-carrying and squad spawn capabilities to be able to equip additional weapons or armor.
  2. Scr1nRusher

Infantryside, why do you do this?
  3. Eyeklops

Added one you forgot.
    • Up x 1
  4. Scr1nRusher

And infantryside ruins any thread about vehicles...... :(
  5. Liberty

Its not an infantry side thing TBH, as someone who does his fair share of AV work (usually from an AP lightning) it is mostly to chase off vehicles trying to farm infantry. I'd say a good 75+ % of my encounters involve vehicles shelling a base or vehicles on their way to shell a base.

You get those rare AV players actually out to kill armor or air, but they are a vast minority and are usually pulled to stop the former from farming infantry.
  6. Scr1nRusher

Well I was making a statement about how people view vehicles & aircraft.
  7. Ronin Oni

Anything with transport as it's purpose is pointless now....

so factor that in to your designations.

Also, they aren't going to remove all A2G weaponry from ESF, for example, so bear that in mind with your wishlist thinking as well.
  8. Liberty

Hah! Well I suppose that makes my tongue in cheek post all the more relevant then. :)

Vehicles generally serve two functions - Farm Infantry, or stop the other guys from farming infantry so you can farm infantry. And then there is that third, rare unicorn minority who is there looking to actively and constantly engage in Vehicle vs. Vehicle combat. I'd be better for the game and everyone in it if that 3rd faction had a greater representation, but sadly it doesn't seem to.
  9. Scr1nRusher

Well I wish people wouldn't be so afraid to pull vehicles & aircraft to fight vehicles & aircraft.
  10. BaronX13

Let me first start out by saying, I'm not for nerfing the lib directly. I fly, but I'd say my main craft is a galaxy. That being said, this is just my two cents, so take it with a grain of salt.

About the ONLY problem I have with the liberator, when in an ESF or a Galaxy is this, it's vertical thrust speed. I'm not jaded about the dalton shots (those take skill), I'm not...completely jaded, about the tankbuster, I'm definitely not jaded about the tail gun, I don't care about it's forward speed, its turn rate, none of that. The one thing that upsets me when flying is it's ability to vertical thrust upwards when horizontal and right-side up. I'll use a small anecdote to try and get my point across as I think that would be easier.

I'm in an ESF level in height to a lib. As I fire, I press spacebar to float upwards, knowing that if that lib gets over me, I face it's belly gun whatever it may be. Almost the same time I take this action, the lib will follow suit, hitting his/her spacebar key to get above me, especially considering the one place a liberator doesn't have a lane of fire, is its roof which it will not want to show me. The problem is, that lib will v-thrust higher than me, faster than me in my ESF. Now I have two choices to avoid the bellygun shot. One, I can break fire and run, the safest bet, which I believe is unfair as an ESF is SUPPOSED to be the A2A unit (even if it is a 2/3 lib against a 1/1 esf, that's the esf's main role). Two, I can break fire and point my nose to the ceiling and try to get above it/level with it again before resuming fire., again I see this as a problem. It kills your damage against a lib, two you have to show your belly to a lib, three the second you hit that flight ceiling you're boned. In either case, the ESF is forced into a location where it HAS to face that belly gun, either that or it plinks away at said lib that the majority of the time will escape (either to safe AA or warpgate). Yes, libs still get killed, but not nearly as much as they should be when met by an A2A interceptor vehicle.

Now imagine that story but with a galaxy. I guarantee you, with all my 300+ hours in a galaxy, you will not shake any amount of reasonable shots from a liberator's tankbuster and/or belly gun (if they are at least decent). And yes, walkers are strong, but even two won't out-dps the lib most of the time (obviously not all of the time). And yes, I could use the bulldogs, but that would be the skill of my gunners making up for a shortcoming in the mechanics of the game. Just because they may land shots with a bulldog, doesn't mean they are actually EFFECTIVE AA. It's the same argument as the dalton, it takes skill to hit aircraft with a dalton, it takes skill to hit aircraft with a bulldog. And before the argument is made, yes walkers have great range and could hit a lib hard from said range before getting tankbusted. Problem is, libs are to gals what esf's are to libs, they're faster, they close that distance much easier than a gal can run, they hit like a truck, and the only way they'll miss shots on a gal is if they're blind. That doesn't even count if the lib can use terrain against a gal closer to the ground. If you're in a gal and a lib gets anywhere near you, you're going to catch bellyshots, 100% of the time.

Listen, I know libs are SUPPOSED to be stronger than a galaxy, and I know they are supposed to be tough for an ESF. But considering ESF's are supposed to be much more agile in ALL respects, and considering a Gal can't even run from a lib, I see no reason why libs can v-thrust faster than anything in the sky (except maybe a valk...which c'mon...that doesn't count). They shouldn't be able to push up as quickly as they do. Even if that speed is caused by a certed up airframe, it shouldn't be that way.

If there was a way a lib could lessen it's horizontal climbing to the same speed as a galaxy, but still keep it's ability to turn and whatnot, that would be the perfect solution for me.
  11. axiom537

Kill the Enemy...

1 Role to Rule them All
    • Up x 1
  12. ColonelChingles

Well in that case the only class/vehicle anyone should play as in PS2 would be a nuclear ICBM. :p
    • Up x 2
  13. PKfire

The only advice I could give you, assuming you're flying a manned Galaxy, is that the Drake is a much better better choice than the Walker in terms of DPS. This is doubly true against Liberators and other Galaxies, as its rate of fire and cone are negated by the targets size. It's also imperative that your gunners stay aware of your surroundings (especially if you know Liberators are in the area) and immediately apply pressure if you spot one closing distance on you. 3 Drakes focusing will absolutely melt a Liberator.

That said, I'm not sure why a Liberator climbing above you is a problem as the most effective way to safely dispatch a Galaxy is to hit it from below.
  14. CursoryRaptor

Where do I sign up to pilot that?
  15. BaronX13

I'm more making the argument that there is no feasible way to avoid the line of fire of that belly gun (which is the most dangerous part of a liberator supposedly). The common sense notion would be to stay above the liberator, but there is no way to do that while still firing a nose gun (on esf), you'd have to break your fire and fly to the ceiling and even then you only have a few seconds till the lib catches up. For a gal, if that lib decides to fly over you and start hitting you with it's belly gun, there is no way to avoid it, it's going to rise above you faster, period. Let alone the lib could always just roll over and fire.

I think what I'm trying to say is this. The belly guns on the lib are supposed to be balanced by the fact that they have a restricted cone of fire. Basically they can only shoot "down" from the belly of the liberator. The problem is, the liberator itself can point that belly gun anywhere. The reason tank AP rounds are less of a threat to esf's than a dalton is simply that. A tank's canon has a lack in elevation to be firing at esf's (unless they find a hill to prop up on). And even if they find said hill, it takes effort to find that hill, set up, and fire into the air while also doing that all in a timely manner to kill the esf before it flies away. And even with all of THAT, an esf can still quickly exit the line of fire of that AP canon. The lib on the other hand, has a belly gun that can fire in any direction and all it takes is for the lib pilot to roll one way or another. If you engage a lib, there is literally no amount of skill you can have to avoid the lane of fire of the bellygun. And while yes, the key is to keep moving so the dalton doesn't have too easy of a shot, I sometimes think we forget this is a game with latency issues. On my screen, I may constantly be dancing out of reach of your belly gun, but on your screen I could be lagging a couple seconds behind position wise, giving the lib a perfect shot on me.

I think ESF's fighting libs should be based more on their agility keeping themselves out of the line of fire of a Lib, instead of how it is now which is that libs ALWAYS have line of fire on an attacker, and instead the ESF has to try and dodge Ohk shots flying it. And if they decide to be safe, the lib gets away safe without a hindrance.

*Sidenote: And I say this with the most respect. If you think every esf ever should just avoid a liberator, or only pick a fight with a liberator if the conditions are 100% perfect, I believe you to be wrong. The esf's job is to intercept other aircraft, not wait while those aircraft bomb the living hell out of everything around it until it MAYBE will show a weakness. The answer is never, "well they should just retreat and wait a few minutes" because by that time it doesn't even matter anymore
  16. TheRunDown

Prowler: Farm
    Lightning+Viper: Farm
    Mossy: Farm
    LA: Farm
    Inf+SMG: Farm
    Inf+Bolt Action: Farm
    Engi+Mines+Claymores: Farm
    HA: Farm
    MAX: FARM!
    Medic: I don't play B**** Class..
    AMS: Spawn Point for my Farm
    Spawn Beacon: Spawn Point for my mossy Farm..

I think that about covers it :)
    Need those Certs and Implants, and Implants for more Charges, Need more Kills... KILLS!
    I wouldn't Farm as much if the Drop Rate was returned to the old rate, but its a joke atm, I get like 1-3 Charges a day.. instead of the old 10-40 a day.. Now I have to keep making Ultra Charges just to use my Tier 4 Implants.. Which are so broken btw.. I hope Tier 5 never comes out..

Until this game gets some META, a less chaotic Lattice system (too many bases in links) and some PlanetSide in PlanetSide 2.. There really isn't much point to anything other than Farming..
    And RedeploySide isn't helping this game either, when you can Redeploy to get to any Defence and Zerg an outfit in 20 seconds in to one area, instead of using a actual Squad transport vehicle.. which could take 5-10 minutes to get to a base, like it did in PlanetSide 1...

But in all Honesty,
    ESFs Shouldn't be a One man Army.. (Support Craft)
    Libs Should be main Air to Ground damage.
    Tanks counter should be Tank (MBTs) Slower ROF on all Tanks, Lower TTK vs Inf, Harder for Infs to Kill, but hard to be Farmed by.
    Gals should be used more (Fix Redeploy)
    Lightnings are fine.. Skyguard could do with a redo..
    Sunderers should do far less damage to vehicles (MBTs), but have more defence, to charge to Points (More of a MPC) Natural defence bonus against AV Mines.. Break the Shield, it shouldn't make a AMS invincible..

TTKs in this game are far too high..
  17. PKfire

I feel like you didn't read any of my posts.

Also, I'm sorry for all this Lib talk, Scr1n.
  18. Scr1nRusher

Its fine.

I just wish Every single person Viewing this thread, actually made a post.