What do you think about the Zepher?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by prodo123, Apr 21, 2015.

1. prodo123

Overpowered, underpowered, fine as it is, etc.?
    I've gotten superb killing streaks with it and gotten instagibbed by it many times. I want to know what you think.
  2. Liewec123

strangely underused overpowered weapon! its like old tank HE, but its flying XD

its my belly gun of choice when i lib :)
  3. Mythologicus

A Bulldog on the tailgun is essentially an upgrade over the Zepher.

I can't say I have overwhelming issues with it, but this is because I neither use it when flying nor notice it when I'm on the ground, which is probably a bad thing. And the fact that a small grenade launcher is more effective than a 105mm HE cannon is amusing to me.

It definitely had more value and was more useful in fights when infantry rendered at greater ranges.
  4. prodo123

I...didn't even think about that until I looked it up just now.
    Zepher does 650 damage + 450 damage up to 1.5m splash. Bulldog-A (Galaxy + Liberator) does 1000 damage + 500 damage up to 1m splash. Both have 200m/s muzzle velocity. The differentiating factor would be the RoF (120 vs 48 RPM resp.) and accuracy (0.25 vs. 0 resp.)

i.e. Bulldog-A shoots at a slower rate but does more damage and is more accurate, all while being relegated to a secondary weapon...
  5. Bonom Denej

Holy Nanites, wasn't aware of that either.
  6. Mythologicus

Aerial Bulldogs actually got a small nerf some time ago, but I can't remember exactly what was affected. The effectiveness compared to a dedicated, heavy belly-mounted weapon is still somewhat alarming, especially when you start comparing Zepher Liberators with Bulldog Galaxies.

I'm not sure which is the better AV tool - the Zepher got a change to its damage type, so the Bulldog might actually be better against both air and ground vehicles than the Zepher as well. :p
    • Up x 1
  7. CursoryRaptor

It's the best belly gun the Lib has, ever since the Dalton got nerfed to almost 0 splash radius and the muzzle velocity of a spit ball.

While it's primarily an AI weapon, it still retains at least a little effectiveness against vehicles.
  8. _itg

I don't have much experience gunning a lib, but I can read a stat sheet. The direct damage doesn't really matter for AI purposes (both are an OHK either way on non-flak armor infantry), so the Zephyr's better splash range and RoF should outdo the Bulldog's better splash per hit and accuracy. As far as AV damage goes, someone would have to look up the resistances to make an effective DPS judgment on any given target, but I'd put my money on the Zephyr, here, as well.
  9. prodo123

The difference is that the Bulldog-A is a guaranteed THKO within a 1m blast radius. Zepher, on the other hand, cannot THK with splash damage alone.
    AV I don't know either, but seeing that the Zepher is mainly an AI weapon (akin to dumbfire missiles, HE cannons and the Viper) the Bulldog-A does seem a lot better in that regard.
  10. _itg

While it's true that a Bulldog can 2HK with splash, it actually takes less time to 3HK with the Zephyr, not to mention less precision. Going by the numbers, again. I imagine in practice a lot of this could come down to personal preference.
  11. Vixxing

Use Dalton or Shredder on bellygun and a 10s bulldog with thermals on tail... (no need for Zepher 10sbulldog> Zepher
  12. Pikachu

The story of the zepher is that during release it was popular and powerful. Then after some early nerf everyone switched to dalton until shortly after liberator update when dalton and shredder were both nerfed.

During liberator update on PTS I think it's damaged was raised to 1200 or so. Look at it now, 650 damage. :confused: I have always found the zepher hard to use because of it's high drop and it's velocity being lower than that of dalton.
  13. Eyeklops

The seriously powerful initial release Zephyr + a lack of players certed into anti-air + a reduced anti-air toolset = the video below. It was a glorious time to be a Zephyr gunner.
  14. Pikachu

In the old days the inner splash radius used to be 4m instead of current 1.5m.
  15. prodo123

They need to un-nerf the Dalton ;-; I pull Libs once every 5 months now...
  16. Mythologicus

Ehh, shooting infantry is boring :p
  17. Vixxing

They should atleast un-nerf the speed decrease of the dalton to make it more viable vs ESF (ground peasants benefit, since its only the hoovering glorious skyknights that suffers)
  18. TheKhopesh

Splash was reigned in, so it's a 3x hit to kill outside just a couple hairs away, and it lost 25% velocity (making it horrid against air now, which is sad, because it used to be a really tough skill weapon to use for AA, but now there's no skill, it's just "in range" or "not in range".

The velocity nerf was unneccessary, but I get the reason for the infantry killing potential nerf. A 2x shot to kill was a bit too powerful, as it didn't give enough time to react (though it should have been buffed in fire rate a little to compensate for that. Less alpha damage, more fire rate).

The TTK was fine, it just needed to give more reaction time in between the first first shot and kill shot is all.
  19. lothbrook

Just like every Vehicle weapon, it needs its splash damage buffed to what it was.
  20. Takara

If I remember correctly they effected the way gravity works on the rounds. Basically they have an arch now. The bulldogs of old that were attached to aircraft traveled in almost a straight line for quite some time. But they gve them more arc in there.