Questions about the Magrider

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by day ofm one, Apr 18, 2015.

1. day ofm one

I got some hours in my Magrider now and some questions came into my mind:

1. What does the Rival chassey actually do?
    It didn't seem to increase my turning speed, does it increase the sideway cruise speed?

2. Getting stuck on rocks.
    I tend to get the bottom of my Magrider stuck on rocks, I even died allready because it did damage.
    Is there some way to avoid getting stuck with the bottom?

3. Magburner.
    When I use my Magburner on a hillside, it does a little fart, lifts my Magrider higher off the ground and that's it.
    What is the most effective way to use the Magburner to avoid only being lifted higher but not actually boosted foewards?

4. Are the turning mechanics broken?
    The faster I move my mouse to the side, the slower my Magrider turns around.
    Slow mouse movement = fast turn, fast mouse movement = slow turn.
    I set my old mouse to 4000dpi sensitivity, was still as slow as 1400 when moving my mouse quickly to the side.

5. To race or to rival?
    What chassey do you prefere to use on your Magrider for what reasons?

6. How do I avoid teamkills?
    I tend to run over VS who stand too close to my tank.
    That is usually because:
    - uncontrollable movement because terrain
    - I have to break the enemies line of fire and some genious stood right next to me when I couldn't focus on the minimap (sorry).
    Disclaimer: Don't stand too close to Magriders and Harrassers, you just play with your life.
    Being behind or next to Magrider does not provide good cover.

7. To fly or not to fly?
    The Magrider seems to be abled to drop a certain distance to the ground before the height gets too high and it explodes.
    Do you know how far I can drop it to the ground?

8. To stealth or not to stealth, that's the question.
    What do you prefere to put on your tank, stealth or something else?

9. To flip or not to flip?
    Sometimes I flip my Magrider by just barely touching a rock with its side, is there an effective way to steer against rolling over?

10. May I express my genuine thankfulness for any constructive reply I get to any of my questions?
    I surely hope so.
  2. Calisai

Side strafe max speed increased, as is reverse speed and reverse acceleration.

Turning speed is the same for both chassis.

Realize that the center of the Mag has a protrusion that can get hung up on things. Sidestrafe over things to make it easier. It'll get easier with practice.

A nerf to the Magburner way back when. If the nose of the Mag is pointing too far upward, Magburn will not work (thus the fart sound).... so, turn your nose about 40 degrees to one side or the other so you are not pointing directly up and it will work again. Play around with it on hills out of combat and learn what angles and degrees it works on and you'll get the hang of it.

Also, If you burn before hitting a hill (as long as the slope is gentle enough) then you will get the momentum to carry you up a hill.
    The mouse has "forced deceleration". Ever heard of mouse acceleration, where the faster the mouse moves the farther it moves? Yea, they built in a mechanism to stop people from using DPI settings to artificially turn the Mag faster than SOE wanted. What this means... you need to learn to move the mouse consistently at the proper speed to get the max turn speed.

You can bind the look left and look right and it will keyboard turn your Mag. This is the maximum speed you can turn your Mag at. The mouse can hit that speed if you turn it at the constant proper speed... any faster and the game throws your input away and you'll actually turn a bit slower.

I prefer racer due to flanking, but some prefer rival since it makes it easier to strafe, hill-climb, etc. It's also faster to reverse out of trouble. It's really a preference and playstyle choice. No real "this is the best" type answer.

VS that stand next to a Mag should expect a TK. The Mag is a notorious TK'er... and has been since release. A Mag will unexpectedly strafe in any of all 360 degrees of movement.. and thus there is no "safe spot" to stand while repairing them. The safest is when the driver is standing next to it. (Still not completely safe, as the Mag can drift a bit on slopes and kill even the driver... I can't even count the times...)

The Mag needs to dodge fire to survive, so drivers are used to dodging... no single Engy can outrep any of the AP weapons... so the repairs done by Engys shouldn't be done while under fire, unless its by the Gunner/Driver.

I haven't worked out the exact distance, but it also depends on a few things. First up... if you bottom out the tank, you'll take damage. Hit any rock or land crooked and the corner of the Mag hits first, and major damage occurs. Its always better to slide down a hill if possible than jump... Jumping is a crapshoot unless you know you can land perfectly flat and there is no rocks or pebbles at the bottom to hit.

Stealth. Unless you are really new and certs are at a premium... then I'd put the 100 into front armor and then cert save for the chassis, magburn, FPC reload, Secondary reload, some ammo, etc... then come back and put in the rest for stealth. Stealth is expensive.

Practice. Eventually you'll get good enough to compensate... that said... Even the Masters flip, roll, touch a rock wrong and explode every once and awhile. You'll come to laugh it off and move on if you drive long enough. Some of the "suicides" are pretty damn funny as well.

Hope it helps. The Mag is a fun vehicle to drive, and there is large room improvement skill-wise in driving one. The things it can do in the right hands are amazing. :D Just remember... always bring a gunner... its much more fun to share the joy. (You'll be much more effective as well)
    • Up x 4
  3. day ofm one

Well, that was about 900% more helpful than I expected from forumside <3

Now that I finally know how to properly drive a Magrider without having to try and blow it up myself... ;)

5. I am a notoric Rival user (even on my Vanguard, what many people I know consider a sin).
    I like to give up my slightly better speed for a faster reverse and better turning (and of course faster stopping, that already saved countless teammates from getting run over).
    That allows me to reverse into cover more efficiently and also I can outmaneuver all other tanks.
    (Magriders, for example, have serious trouble with getting behind my Vanguard, I just turn with them and all they see is my front.)
    I think I will take a look into VR training for the chasseys, now that I surely know what they actually do.

6. Well, I guess then I will just keep getting teamkill threats after running people over by accident and telling them it was their own fault. I learned my lesson without even playing VS, just by attacking Magriders in my other factions tanks and seeing them run over their teammates. If others can't learn it as VS, I guess I really can't help them, sadly.

7. Ok, no shortcuts by flying off a bridge or speeding off the backside of the Crown^^

8. I allready got stealth to level 3, I was really curious how other VS tankers choose their certs, since I can't remember to have ever seen a Magrider with extra armor.
    But it makes sense, since the Magrider is more a sneaky stealthy tank.

Again, thank you very much for taking your time and writing such a detailed response, it really helps <3
  4. Rayden78

it increases sideway strafe and backward speed.

Don't drive over rocks .. seriously ;)

use the Magburn while the Mag is still accelerating, if you use it while accelerating in front of the slope (not on it), the slope will as soon as you are on it boost your Magburn :), but it has to be activated already.

Racer, the reason i can flank faster, and its easier to climb mountains.

Drive carefully, i would give you tipps about that, if i would be a careful driver. I try to not do it, but i guess i'm just to focused on other stuff sometimes. Basically always pay attention to your surrounding and minimap ^^

It can drop far .. it all depends on the magic angle how you hit the ground ;)

If you like to do sneaky stuff, flanking and surprising enemy tanks from close range ... use stealth. If you fight on range use some kind of armor.

L2D :D (no offense intended)

You may ;)
    • Up x 1
  5. Linus

Nothing much left to say. You got the best advices already.
    I will only underline even more the importance of the stealth / flanking for the Magrider.
    This is the most enjoying and effective gameplay from my perspective. :cool:

The better place to practice your driving skill with the Magrider, is to play on Hossin.
    The day when you start to feel like a fish in water, you will find that the other continents are the kindergarten compared to it.
    • Up x 3
  6. Mythologicus

Flip. Always flip. Frontflips, backflips, barrel-rolls, you name it. The trick is not avoiding them, the trick is surviving them and catching them on video.

:D
  7. FBVanu

In settings, turn OFF your mouse acceleration
    then increase the mouse/vehicle movement... In any vehicle, I have it set at 50% (default), but when driving a Mag. it's set to 80%
    to give me faster turn speed in the Mag. Try it out and get a best feel for your playstyle.

Teamkills... they happen, a lot. Always hit V-8 for Sorry.. twice.. and hope the poor player can read it..

I even get killed repairing my own Mag.. several times now.. it's not funny.:confused:

Good luck, and welcome to the Swagrider Club!
  8. Calisai

What?!?!.... That never happens! :cool:

This is truly the reason I record... for those special moments that even you think are impossible. It makes all the countless hours driving from Esamir WG and bunny-hopping hills and messing around doing Parkour worth it when you pull one of them off. :D
    • Up x 2
  9. FnkyTwn

Fun Fact:
    The lore behind Magriders isn't some sort of magnet-levitation system like it's name would imply, but instead Magriders simply float over the freshly squozed blood of their fellow Vanu.