Where's The Flak?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Darthjackn, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Jawarisin

10 infantry unit could kill an ESF in 1.5 seconds then. That's probably not even enough for the pilot to react... and we're talking small arms. The things that EVERYBODY carries.
  2. zombielores

Well considering that it takes less then 2 Salvo of Commie shots from 10 people which can be less then 1 second to kill a Max it obviously must be fair, entil you consider the other 9 people on the other team.
    You've tried to bring this point up, and I'll refer you to this quote again .

zombielores

Jawarisin said: ↑

“It's the range... the range and how stupid easy it is to use. for instance, 3 heavies with lock on will instagib esf's if they focus fire.
    1 burster can usually already push back aircrafts, but if there's more, it becomes an death zone for any aircraft within 300m or so with NO possibility to do anything against it.”

I don't know man, your fighting a 3v1. Does 1 infantry expect to simply walk up to 3 MANA AI turrents and win? Does a lightning expect to simply drive up to 3 MANA AV turrets and win? Does 1 ESF expect to simply fly up to 3 Lock-ons and win? I think all the answers is no because your fighting a 3v1 against a counter made for you.

And please, if your going to be childish again and there's no point in us continuing this discussion.
    • Up x 1
  3. CursoryRaptor

Oh yeah?

One time I took down a Vanguard with two BR 100s in it with recon darts. :p
  4. Badname82

Not impressed. A real Scythe pilot would just repeatedly skim the platform slicing fools in half. Now that's entertainment. It's even funnier when finally someone gets a brain and drops a Mana Turret in the path of the ESF.
    • Up x 1
  5. CursoryRaptor

Just wanted to say nice signature. Very witty. :)
  6. orangejedi829

This has nothing to do with me. I always pull AA when I see a farming ESF. The point I was bringing up is that, in practice, you cannot count on PS2's average players to work together to reliably bring down an ESF with small arms fire.
    I believe people see this as unbalanced because, while, as you pointed out, a large amount teamwork is necessary for the infantry to take out the ESF, the ESF pilot requires no teammates or support of any kind to be an effective infantry killing machine.
    • Up x 1
  7. orangejedi829

A mature, thoughtful, and humorous reply?
    WHAT IS GOING ON HERE, IS THIS STILL THE PLANETSIDE FORUMS??
    • Up x 1
  8. CursoryRaptor

I get what you're saying, and I understand the frustration, but one key factor (at least in my opinion) is that the pilot is in an ESF. A force multiplier. He shouldn't -have- to use teamwork to make kills on infantry.

All vehicles are (or at least should be) force multipliers. With some exceptions, dismounted infantry should have to use teamwork to stop a single vehicle. Of course, this would imply that a one-man anti-aircraft tank should be equally matched against a one-man anti-tank aircraft...
  9. Jawarisin

You're obviously not half as smart as you think you are if you think I'm being childish. Let me say it just in case you hadn't figured it out yet. aircraft have the longest render distance. They also can be seen by EVERYBODY as opposed to a lightning who only needs a 1 meter high hill to hide.
  10. Darthjackn

You know I have no idea. Just realized that it was pretty much all AOD I was killing.
  11. Mythologicus

[IMG]

(Otherwise, good post :p)
    • Up x 3
  12. Demigan

Assuming they all hit, only if aircraft come in real CQC will this happen. Even then, they are likely to be at 50m or more, meaning the damage falloff is in full-swing, if not already complete.
    It would also mean a concerted action of all infantry turning and firing. More likely is that in droves of 2 or 3 people start firing, the ESF user gets damage, hits the afterburner, becomes too hard to track for infantry small-arms and is in the clear, especially if he's got FS with him. Small-arms might have some of the highest muzzle velocities compared to a lot of other weapons, they also have on average the largest COF's to content with.
    Then the ESF repairs up and starts picking off infantry at greater ranges.

Just because everybody carries a weapon that can damage it, doesn't mean it's a danger.
    • Up x 1
  13. Jawarisin

There's render range, and more importantly thermal range to account for. Also, if ESF wants any chance at killing something, it will have to get close to the ground simply because it has to keep its aim on target.
  14. Demigan

You've said that before, but can you show me where it says that?

I've been looking around. When I joined the game infantry render distance kept changing, but vehicle render distance was supposed to be around 1000m, for all vehicles.
    Looking around on the internet now, I see two ranges appearing: 1000m for all vehicles, and one with 800m for ground 1000m for air.

Also, there's the matter of what can hit you all the way at render distance. There's flak... which misses more than 2 out of 3 shots at those ranges anyway.
    Also there's the matter of flying low. If flying high gets you seen so much and is such a big problem, why don't you start flying low? ESF need a little bit more to make use of a small hill for cover than the Lightning, but they also have the advantage that they can get on top of cover to stay out of sight, like being on top of big ridges, mountains, big buildings etc to hide your movements.
    There's also the matter of speed. If you have trouble flying low, you can reduce your speed to make it easier and safer. Even at "low" speeds you are faster than almost any other vehicle, and your acceleration allows you to bug out to higher altitudes should you find something nasty that could get you killed (MBT that happens to be looking right in your direction), alternatively you have a great approach for an attack.

so... I don't see no problem with it in any way, shape or form. All I see is the ability, should you want it, to take off to the highly visible sky and fight there. Big advantage of the sky where you are visible to everyone is ofcourse the ability to escape the weapon elevation of almost every ground vehicle as well as being able to escape effective ranges of dumbfire missiles etc.

Choice is yours.
  15. Demigan

Didn't we go over this already?

300m is render range for infantry.
    350m is thermal range.

Just as an example, even with a 10x scope infantry looks like this at 250m, not even the max range:
    [IMG]

Infantry render ranges are long enough for any ESF to engage from extreme safety, unless the infantry carry's dedicated AA with them.
  16. WUNDER8AR

Nicely done. Seriously whoever attacks a completely locked up airpad entrance is just asking to be farmed and not only by air. Pulling an AI ESF is a well established way of dealing with this situation, it's been done hundreds, thousands of times already. Hence it should be common sense to not stand there unprepared for aerial attacks as you're quite literally serving yourself on a silver platter there. Then again, can't cap a bio w/o tunnelvisioned airpad lemmings. After all somebody's got to distract the enemy while you sneak through the teleporter or the other, undefended airpad entrance to overload the shield gen.
    • Up x 2
  17. Czarinov

It's not a nerf thread. I was telling you that infantry have quite some defense against farmers. I am not covering for farming.

Also I told you, you DON'T need teamwork to take out ESF with LMGs. You need more people, yeah, but it's not really a problem. You alone can make a difference. Now - I suggest you don't spawn in place where there are so many clueless players. You will just stall on that ammopad and get farmed again and again when you may have asked a couple of people and ganked that AI ESF in air. Or just take an ESF yourself and use tomcats, though normal nosegun may be enough even for a beginner. Don't forget he has an AI gun. Farmers deserve to be dealt with with whatever possible.
  18. YeOldeSammich

My best guess is max composite armor and/or very strategic use of fire suppressant (you dont have to be on fire to get the heal)
  19. Sebastien

You make it sound like people who spend resources are better than everyone.
  20. Czarinov

this is true too.