How is the Emperor considered good but the Beamer considered trash?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IberianHusky, Apr 12, 2015.

1. IberianHusky

I honestly don't get this. Both weapons are essentially the same, but the Emperor has 3 extra shots in the mag. Both weapons are incredibly reliable sidearms that do not penalize bad accuracy and can be used effectively in pretty much any situation. So why is it that the Emperor is considered good and the Beamer is considered bad even though the difference between them is minuscule?
  2. Rhumald

https://ps2model-axiom.rhcloud.com/#sttk/sh25-10-10/la/1/13/7400

the Beamer is superior before 30 meters, the Emperor, due to it's larger magazine size, and that alone, beats it out past 30 meters. Those numbers are fairly even though, one person possessing just a little better aim would determine the outcome of that fight.

TX1 repeater beats every other side arm without contest though, if you're TR, the only reason to roll with something else is if you've already auraxiumed the repeater.
    • Up x 2
  3. sustainedfire

Because its VS.

Do you expect much more from the VS players?

To them, original ZOE was perfectly balanced....

TR have to pay for a Beamer - and we like it!
  4. Lucidius134

According to my research:
    Beamer|Emporer
    Max dam = 167@10m | 167@15m
    Min dam = 100@60m | 112@60m
    Mag = 17 | 21 (4 shot difference)
    Reload = Beamer has a .075s short and .05s long reload speed difference in its favor
    Velocity = 325 | 390

So it's worse at everything in exchange for a fraction of a second better reloads and no bullet drop??

Source:
    http://ps2.dynet.com/
    Searched all game updates for 'beamer'
    • Up x 1
  5. AnuErebus

Beamer is a great pistol, but I think the issue is twofold. It has a poor reputation from PS1 where it really was trash and when people say a weapon sucks people are more likely to avoid it. The 7.5 clicks per second needed to get the most out of it is also a bit above what the average person does comfortably. That means there's a decent portion of the playbase which likely can't use it comfortably or aren't willing to click slightly faster than what's easy to make it work.
    • Up x 6
  6. Lucidius134

I don't believe that site is accurate considering they are discussing ESF HP and backwards calculating it like we used to before we knew HP values and armor resists. The latest update was around GU4. Also, owner hasn't posted since Jan 2013.

See, this is where it gets confusing.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...july-24-2013-time-is-tbd.142483/#post-1996752

This was from July 24, 2013 but the spreadsheet which is literal decompiled game database from August 08, 2014 shows that the beamer did not get the buffs?

Gonna hop in game and double check everything SIGH
  7. Rhumald

Beamer and Emperor haven't undergone any changes though, it's still accurate for most of the older weapons.
  8. Lucidius134

See my edited post. They were changed a long time ago

Nevermind. The beamer and Emporer had some differences originally but the Emporer just bot buffed to be better in every way.
  9. Iridar51

Both of them are meh. Not as spammy as burst pistols, not as damaging as revolvers.
    • Up x 1
  10. Tbone

One or two things.

Beamer/Emperor

RPM = 451/400

Crouch move hip accuracy = 1.5/1

Stand still-move accuracy = 1 - 1 / 1.5 -1.5

Cert = 0/250

just to show everything.So we have a better range gun(and the min dmg is better), with more bullets while you have a free gun with faster reload and better hit while moving(or ad-ad) while hitting us with 167 and you just buy attachments as soon as possible while the TR first get 250 than buy.I think its a good tradeoff.
  11. Tbone

Vanu Sovereignty.I think this tells you everything.
    • Up x 1
  12. Mefi

Huh, at release Beamer was considered as trash and Emperor was called "worse Beamer that costs 250 500 certs".
  13. Lucidius134

Not many people can fire the beamer at its' ROF accuratly in the middle of a fight. I think that's fairly marginal difference wise.

Spreadsheet says the beamer and emporer have the same crouch move hip accuracy and the same stand still/move accuracy so i don't know where you're pulling these from.

See how everything is the same? I removed reload speeds to make it more readable but you can just use the spreadsheet if you want legibility.

TX2 Emperor TR PISTOL 167 @ 15m 112 @ 60m Semi 0.8 0.1 0.1 0.3 0 0 ← = → 18 1 0.75 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 1 1.5 1 1.5 0.12 0 .24 400 390

Beamer VS3 VS PISTOL 167 @ 10m 100 @ 60m Semi 0.8 0.1 0.1 0.3 0 0 ← = → 18 1 0.75 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 1 1.5 1 1.5 0.12 0 .24 451 325
  14. _itg

Probably because, as a default weapon, the Beamer gets compared to the Repeater first, even though they don't fill the same role.
    • Up x 1
  15. Ballto21

Im making my beamer montage. Youll see! Youll all see! THE PEWPEWPEW WILL BE FEARED AND RESPECTED.
    • Up x 4
  16. QuakerOatsMan

The emperor and the beamer are almost identical to me, except the beamer looks and sounds like crap.

It's all in the feel of a weapon.
  17. Ballto21

Heresy
    • Up x 1
  18. Mongychops

The Beamer really was crap on release, however, it has had two rounds of buffs since then, in April and July 2013. Same as the Manticore, which used to just be a worse Magshot, which is now just a Magshot (with worse velocity and no bullet drop, wooooooo). I guess no one really cares that much now, since the NS revolvers are pretty much better.

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Update_Number_7

• VS Beamer VS3
      • Short Reload: 1.7 seconds changed to 1.45 seconds
      • Long Reload: 2.0 seconds changed to 1.75 seconds
      • Aimed Accuracy: 0.4 degrees changed to 0.3 degrees
    • VS Manticore SX40
      • Aimed Accuracy: 0.4 degrees changed to 0.3 degrees
    http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Update_Number_13

• TX2 Emperor
      • Maximum damage range increased from 10 to 15 meters
      • Minimum damage increased from 84 at 65 meters to 112 at 60 meters
      • Long reload time is now faster at 1.8 seconds, down from 2.0 seconds
      • Short reload time is also faster at 1.525 seconds, down from 1.7 seconds
      • Aimed accuracy loss per shot increased from 0.1 to 0.12
      • Hip accuracy loss per shot increased from 0.2 to 0.24
      • Fixed stand hip accuracy and crouch-moving hip accuracy being swapped
      • Projectile speed increased from 375 to 390
    • Beamer VS3
      • Stand hip accuracy improved from 1.5 to 1.0.
      • Crouch-moving hip accuracy reduced from 1.25 to 1.5.
      • Minimum damage increased from 84 at 65 meters to 100 at 60 meters
    • Manticore SX40
      • Minimum damage increased from 100 at 65 meters to 112 at 60 meters
      • Long reload time is now faster at 1.9 seconds, down from 2.0 seconds
      • Short reload time is also faster at 1.6 seconds, down from 1.7 seconds
      • Fixed stand hip accuracy and crouch-moving hip accuracy being swapped
    • Up x 1
  19. FnkyTwn

The biggest hindrance for the Beamer is it's sound and sights. It might be an alright pistol, but it sounds and feels like a toy. You'd be surprised how much the sound a weapon makes effects it's overall usage and even accuracy. - And it's sight is abysmal.

I got a bug at one point where I could hear everybody's weapon sounds but my own and it completely threw my game off. I couldn't count on the audio clues that I've apparently grown to count on.

And yes, the Beamer did also technically suck for like a year after release. They eventually fixed it once everybody had moved on to other pistols.
  20. Dualice

I prefer the Emperor in most situations. Extended max damage range is nice (15m without suppressor), better accuracy and less obnoxious recoil.

With regards to OP's question, I suspect it's because the Beamer is compared to the other factions' stock sidearms, like the Repeater, which is generally seen as very powerful.