[Bad Habits] I have a reload addiction, HELP me :(

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaTurtle, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Towie

I play all factions and I must admit that it takes a while for everything to adjust when switching.

Reload - well with VS, I do it all the time as most weapons have paltry 'mags'. When playing NC this can be devastating with some of the reload times and I really really don't need to. When playing engineer I often drop an ammo pack instead of reloading in the heat of the action - not good.

Cloak/uncloak sounds are another - is that one of my team or the opposition ?

..and the less said about 'exit vehicle' at the wrong time, the better...
  2. Goldmonk

If you throw a box of ammo at me, I might not engage you. I've done the same thing. In fact, let's make ammo boxes OHK and explode :D
    • Up x 1
  3. orangejedi829

Haha, "I have some ammo for yo-" BOOM!
  4. Leftconsin

I drink while playing sometimes. But then my KDR starts to slip and I have a habit near the end of a play session of going "OK. I can get back to a 5 if I go on a 15 kill streak. I can do that!" Which wouldn't be much of a hassle... if I was sober. :(
    • Up x 1
  5. Enguzrad

I think I got it from TF2, which I played for few years. Strange thing is it differs from game to game, in Killing Floor I'm hitting heads almost all the time (maybe because you practically never use auto mode on weapons there...).
    It's also not easy teaching yourself to aim at the head when your weapon jumps around like a crazy goat. Recently I trialed NS weapons and damn, they're so accurate it's scary :eek:.

At least reloading and pressing F is not an issue for me, since I play VS now and I switch classes very often.
  6. Czarinov

Just go into VR, take an LMG and start shooting dummies until your clip is empty. Make yourself think about not reloading. That's all.
  7. Astriania

As Heavy: same thing, reload reflex. I main medic and I've been using 200 damage ARs a lot, which have a small mag, so it makes sense there. Really bad if you're using the SAW, but generally as an NC it's a bad mistake. Also not dodging back into cover before switching to/from rocket launcher.

As other classes: pressing F

Generally: full-auto firing and forgetting that you can't hit something more than 2m away like that
  8. Devrailis

Your addiction is partly muscle memory kicking in whenever you're in a high stress situation. Rote practice to kick the habit is often a good cure for exactly this type of problem.

This is one of the few things where the VR room can help you. Take your LMG of choice, any LMG and practice shooting the standing targets without reloading. On high cap LMGs, practice shooting without reloading, on low cap LMGs, practice shooting and then swapping to your secondary.

The point of the exercise is just to get used to the feeling of engaging multiple targets without hitting the r button. Override that muscle memory.

I had the exact same issue that you describe, plus my aim is not very good which means I reload often just to "hedge", but practicing reload discipline in the VR room helped out tremendously.

I used to reload reflexively after every kill or engagement with the Gauss SAW, the epitome of the high cap, long reload LMG that severely punishes exactly this type of behaviour, so I know exactly how little sense it makes to do this and how frustrating it is to do it without thinking.

Also, quick knife to cancel the reload animation. On a long reload LMG like the Gauss SAW, it will save your life.
    • Up x 2