I HATE Bad Gunners

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EViLMinD, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Endlave

>Talks about rudeness
    >shoots player because he can't be bothered to PM him.

"Shooting you was easier."
    Wow. Just wow. I hate people C4'ing fellow teammates, but you, sir, deserve all C4 there is. If there were drivers licenses in this game, you should have lost it forever.
    It really IS true. Emerald appears to be full of jerks for sure. Makes me glad I am not playing there.
    • Up x 2
  2. EViLMinD

3. AssaultPig

I see your quest to irritate literally every other person on the server continues

and you wonder why you struggle to find competent folks to play with
  4. EViLMinD

:rolleyes:
    Don't be a nitwit. Still your kneejerk uppity rage, fella. You're not listening. I do my own thing. It's others who get in my business. I'm responding to their annoying bs. No one forces anyone to gun for me. People can go their separate ways in peace.

All I offer is a chance to make a buttload of certs and have a wicked time. Not my fault some people can't cut the mustard... or take no for an answer. Hell, it's not like gunning a Harasser is all that hard to do. If I can rock it on my own then it isn't that flippin' hard. My FPS and connection speed are crap.

Heh... I kicked you for sucking the other day. Didn't I? Or, you pouted that I was being critical of how bad you were doing and then you moped off. Something like that. Well, don't whine to me about it. Go do you own bloody thing and sthu. Jesus.
  5. KirthGersen

OP how old are you?:rolleyes:

The whole thing you're crying about is that Emerald is filled with scrubs mostly. Well, pretty same sh** is happening on Cobalt; Miller is a bit better.
    But anyway, if you're such a skilled guy, then why the hell you're rolling with random newbies who can easily prefer shooting infantry with an Enforcer instead of helping me with enemy armor (hi Cobalts!).
    You're doing it wrong.
    You need a good gunner or two who are same as good or better than you in terms of accuracy at least (such as my gunner is).
    Stop f***ing with random scrubs and crying here about pretty predictable results.
  6. Jawarisin

Hmm well, to be honest, I kept jumping back in because of what you were using to kick me out. But you could of send a message or just even used one of the pre-made voice commands. It was rude true, but so is kicking someone without telling them why. You could of also just drove off without me without shooting me. Or simply go to a terminal, and I would of gotten the message there too.
    I can understand getting to your limit though, sometime it just happens, or you're on a bad-luck streak and this is just too much.

Though honestly, I really enjoyed having you trying to get me, it was like having to be aware 100% of the time. Only once I stopped, and that was all it took for you to get me.

And I'm just as stubborn ^^ You keep rampaging around and good luck to you too.
    @Vulcan
    (sorry, couldn't resist)
  7. Snoipeh96

I sympathise with the OP. I run a fully upgraded enforcer harasser, and when none of my outfit are online, I need a gunner to be effective. I am more than happy to let anyone gun for me, but it is really frustrating sometimes. I get a random public gunner and we drive along to a battle happening somewhere. I see a lightning with its rear armour facing in my direction, so I sneak up on it hoping that its sheer obviousness both physically and on the mini-map will prompt my buddy to shoot it. does he?, no. he instead is looking behind the harasser, trying to shoot a mossie that is a mile away, and all the noise from him wasting our ammo gives away the element of surprise. by which time I am literally yelling down proximity chat "INFRONT OF US!!, LIGHTNING!!, KILL IT!!!". what happens next is that I am forced to flee as the lightning has taken most of my health away by the time my gunner has noticed it.

I am sure everybody who uses a vehicle that has a gunner has had a similar situation, but it is more annoying if you run a harasser as your gun is your only line of defence.

It is how the OP dealt with this annoyance that was wrong. instead of kicking them out and killing them out of annoyance, I try and help them improve. Once I have outran the lightning and am repairing, I message my gunner and ask him to pay more attention to the road ahead, and ignore air targets unless they are right on top of us. If he isnt an engineer, I will also ask him to go engineer to help repair in future. You will notice a huge improvement in their abilities as a gunner after this and it will be more rewarding for both them and you.

remember, gunners who are bad are usually new players or just new to vehicle-side. They must learn from their mistakes, not be punished.
    • Up x 2
  8. KirthGersen

It's funny but even Vulcan requires some skill to lead some targets properly, such as aircraft.
    But I was talking about Halberd which I tend to prefer for being more stealthy.
  9. Jawarisin

I'm using the tank buster to shoot just about anything, even aircrafts 200m+ away. I don't have any problem with the vulcan ^^
  10. KirthGersen

Thats OK, so? I've rolled with a plenty of gunners on Prowler and (less) Vanny and they all are way too different.
    Some guys act totally stupid, some play extremely good with any weapon.
  11. Jawarisin

I was saying that because the vulcan and the tankbuster have the same bullet velocity. Though it feels like the tankbuster has a way more craptastic drop. But I've come to love it for that also.
  12. EViLMinD

I concur. I usually run with a Halberd, Cannister or Fury. It's irksome how often my gunners will focus on air targets over soft targets and/or tanks. At the most critical moments to. I have no patience for that. They get expelled. Not acceptable. Not my tempo.

A quality gunner will (depending on veh/gun)
    - keep tabs on the direction the pilot is looking
    - occasionally switch to third person perspective to get a wider view
    - occasionally swivel the turret 360
    - pop in and out of thermals (to spot those pesky infiltrators)
    - get on the repairs asap
    • Up x 1
  13. Jamuro

Good gunner have my deepest respect.

I am a bad gunner ... like realy bad ... but usually i warn the driver/pilot beforehand ... they just don't believe it until they see me in action^^
    Altough i think the main reason for me (and maybe others) beeing so bad at it that, especially in valks is that i get kinda nauseous from it and lose orientation realy fast.

A bit off topic but hey it might help
    Tell your teammate when you are about to turn, roll or do a crazy manouver beforehand.
    During a fight, a gunners field of view is very limited ... even more so if they tend to tunnelvision at their target, so don't expect your gunner to predict any kind of movements you are about to make
    Just tell them
  14. Snoipeh96

gunning from aircraft is always tricky and disorientating for a novice gunner, because the gun sights pitch and roll around with the main body of the aircraft, especially with valkaries. trying to warn a gunner before making a sharp manoeuvre is hard as such an action generally happens when the pilot is trying to make a quick escape from something.

If you are learning to be a gunner, it is probably best you learn in a ground vehicle (preferably a MBT as a mistake will be less critical). the direction the gun is facing is always under the gunner's control. for example, if you were looking north with the enforcer on my harasser, I could do giant smoking 360 doughnuts and your gun would still be facing north throughout. this makes the guns on ground vehicles less disorientating and a lot user friendly than those on aircraft. sure there may still be pitching and bouncing over rough terrain, but you will still be able to face your target at all times.

also a good gunner will try and do what the OP said:
    "A quality gunner will (depending on veh/gun)
    - keep tabs on the direction the pilot is looking
    - occasionally switch to third person perspective to get a wider view
    - occasionally swivel the turret 360
    - pop in and out of thermals (to spot those pesky infiltrators) - ( I use zoom optics on my enforcer :p )
    - get on the repairs asap"
  15. EViLMinD

Galaxy gunners are usually terrible too. They're oblivious to what is happening around them. The fools will camp a walker in the #2 seat when there's a vacant bulldog in #4/5 and a buffet of softies within thermal range. Painful. I don't know how Madhatta does it. On the rare occasion that I join a plt and draw a gal, I have to plead with people to get in...and then I have to remind them to be ready to swap seats. Such a waste of time and patience.
  16. Calisai

My viewpoint is solely from a MBT drivers viewpoint. Specifically a Stealth MBT.

There are bad gunners and there are gunners with bad aim. There is a distinct difference in the two.

If a gunner jumps in, practices trigger discipline, spots targets, hops out to repair, focus fires (targets what the maingun is targetting), etc... then I'm willing to overlook all sorts of misses, etc.

However, if a gunner has perfect aim and never missed, but doesn't do any of the above... and in fact by picking the wrong targets and shooting indiscriminately is putting the tank and thus my aim in jeopardy... I'd be more likely to dump him.

My view is probably skewed by the fact I run stealth, and anytime you fire, it negates the benefit of that choice... so fire discipline is key for me. A bad gunner is worse than a gunner that never shoots. A gunner that never shoots means I'm running 1/2... which can be effective.... a gunner that shoots at the wrong time or gives away our position means we get caught in a bad spot = dead tank... which is worse than a 1/2.

So make sure you specify... "I don't have the best of aim" is not as damning as "I'm a moron who has no problem shooting the PPA at that Lib over there while we are getting rocketed to death by HA's"

Oh, btw... don't feel bad about not being a good Dalton gunner or Bulldog gunner... etc. When I'm gunning for an aircraft... my aim is crap as well. When i'm in my Mag... I have superb aim... its just the disorientation of not knowing how the aircraft is going to move while leading that causes me problems. This is helped by partnering with the same driver for a lot of runs. You start to learn habits and can expect certain maneuvers and can adjust for them.
  17. Jawarisin

Madhatta's galaxy IS the weapon. Gunners are just extra.
    • Up x 1
  18. EViLMinD

So true
  19. LodeTria

Pretty hard to do this on a harasser, as the only indicator where the driving is looking is in the health bar pilot seat.
    Are you sure you don't mean the orientation of the vehicle?
  20. EViLMinD

I mean the direction the driver is looking. The gunner can see the black arrow in the veh health bar. It's not difficult to notice. Small, yes, but definately noticeable. Every veh has this. Any gunner worth their salt will be aware of it. Libs and Harassers demand it.