Heavy Assault is detrimental to the new player experience

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Iridar51

I have A++ average accuracy rating on my main and M+ on most recent toon. If "shooting better" was all there is to it I wouldn't be complaining. Besides, some HA know how to shoot too. So again, I'm supposed to just give up?

There are multiple options for breaching in, starting with MAXes and ending with multiple tactical grenade options. There is no need for additional durability. At least not in the form of "I win" button. If room breaching was indeed the purpose of HA shield, it would be completely normal for it to have 2 second activation time.

HA don't have shield once =\ Maybe it's not always at full power, but it's always there.

So HA is the only class that can lone wolf all he want? Everyone else MUST play in a squad or die to HAs?

When I was only starting playing PS2 I used to say the same things you say now. Experience opened my eyes.
    • Up x 2
  2. omfgweeee

Thats very interesting tought because i think the same. HA "are designed" to be the Infantry answer agains Vehicles and Maxes. Thats why they are more durable and thats why they have RL and AV nades. Then it comes to me that they are made to breach rooms too. Conc nades and strom in with shield, thats why their shield is designed to absorb small arms fire too.

Imo problem of HA rely on this:

1st. Every play lone wolf which means a lot of 1v1 where HA excels cuz of the shield.

2nd. Shield is the lowest skill ceeling ability from all classes. Every non ******et person can react in time to turn it on, and get the full benefits of his special class ability. This doesnt mean its OP. Easier to use =/= OP. This means other classes needs more time to get mastered.

LA master kills without be shoot at all but this doesnt make LA OP.

3rd. If you look at other classes LA is the only other Assault Class. What LA does ? Flank by flying.
    95% of capture points are in buildings where LA cant use its ability (unless Flash nades get buffed or smoke fixed) while HA have easy time to use his.

4th. HA have access to too much weapon choises. SMG's , Shotguns and Battle Rifles must be removed from HA arsenal to limit his extreame CQC (SMG and Shotys) and Long Range Snip Snip abilties.
    • Up x 2
  3. omfgweeee

True, i`m less experienced by you in this game. I mean a LOT less. Probably my point of view and yours are differend excatly cuz this. Still i`m gamer for 18 years and always been above the common player in any game i have ever played. I`m not pro but i`m good player.

Maxes cost Nanites. Thats why we need infantry that is able to breach in.

The idea of shield having some kind of activation time is rly good. It will boost skill ceeling of this ability by a lot and make it countarable.

I dont say HA are perfect atm. They needs to be looked at. Just they r not THAT better as everyone says.

Game balance atm is focused on team play. I can bet that a squad/platoon of very well synergies peoples can win with 0 HA in their team composition vs squad/platoon of randoms full with HA.

Beside of EMP there is one other counter to HA specialy when u defend a point and HA must breach in. This are the Medics. Their guns are so good, melts HA like its a paper. A good shooting medic that waits you to go thru the door will always win vs storming in HA.
  4. patoman

If you are playing just to kill stuff directly then HA is the best.

Though.... you need all the classes to win. And if pure cert farming and exp is your goal, its hard to beat medic or enginer.

Who do you think keeps droping ammo packs and healing people so a fighting force can keep going?

Also if you farming for kills, the enginer is the most powerfull class because they ideal for driving and managing vehicles, can deploy a turret, and be inside a sunderer or tank they driving. can't beat 100% small arms resistance.

Of course, if you like being the tough class why not max?

Though... need a enginer to heal max, and if max falls need a medic to revive.

The game is a kind of massive war ecosystem. No one class is the end all, one is co-dependent on the other to keep going and work idealy.
  5. andy_m

If you remove the shield from the HA class, then remove the cloak from infils and jet pack from light assaults...
  6. ReconTeemo

HA shield is one of those Skilless Mechanic.
  7. Crowne

if you think that's fair... then let's try fairness another way:

Leave the HA shield as is.

Changes to Infil cloak:
    • No more sound when activating or deactivating, so no more announcing to the enemy that you're over here, to the right, but pretending to be invisible.
    • Reverse all changes that made the cloak very visible. Going forward, no more graphics tweaks to make infils easier to see. Hit F, infil disappears, every time and completely. This would make the ability as consistent as the HA shield.
    • No more delay before using a weapon when decloaking. Hit F, use your weapon immediately, win.
    Changes to LA:
    • No more sound when using the jetpack, so no more announcing to every enemy in the building that you'll be attacking from the roof in 3...2...1.
    • To make the ability as consistently effective as the HA shield: The same material used to make sticky grenades will be applied to their boots. They will no longer have to look for the occasional overhang hoping to precariously crouch there. Hit F, win.
    Changes to Medic:
    • Using self-heal will now be fast enough to absorb all damage received while activated. Got shot in the back? Relax, hit F, and win.
    Changes to Engineer:
    • Magrider take one to the tailpipe? Don't fret, hit F. From now on, hitting F as an engineer will restore 100% repairs to any vehicle they are in. There will be, of course, no delay.
    Changes to Max:
    • I only know the NC max, so others can chime in for VS and TR but... using the Aegis shield will now be immediate. The HA's of the world have been very clear. There. Will. Be. No. Delay.
    • To make sure hitting F means Winning! though, we're also including the old reach around. That's right, you hold your shield with one arm, and with the other, you reach around the shield and continue shooting.
    Changes to HA:
    • None.
    No suggestions in this post are meant to be taken seriously, nor am I suggesting removal of HA shield.
    You may now return your head to the sand.
    • Up x 3
  8. andy_m

eh?
  9. MarvinGardens

You seem to have an extremely pigeon holed playstyle. Infiltrators are saboteurs and snipers. LA are extremely mobile flanking units. Maxes are powerhouses. Medics and Engineers are support classes, but can still kick *** on occasion, with the Medic's self heal and the Engineer's turrets. Plus, an Engineer can repair their own vehicles. That's a butt load of diversity right there. It's weird that you can't see any reason to play any other class but HA. If you are having trouble excelling with one of the other classes, don't you think you might be playing them wrong?
    • Up x 2
  10. Dj Gus

I imagine the amount of people that would outright quit this game if the HA shield is nerfed. DBG surely has the playtime stats to prove this, they probably won't touch it, because they know it.
  11. DxAdder

^^^^
    And this is the reason it won't change... too many people would leave or switch to MAX/Vehicles.
  12. Dj Gus

The ONLY chance it would happen is:

Plebstation 4 releases ps2, and somehow, players might find the class to be too OP, and devs cater to the current cash cow (Sorry DBG, for beeing so blunt, but we all know it).

Only chance in hell, imho.

Haven't had too many probs with HA's, now that we got emp's and not having HUGE lag was crucial as well.
    Having to dump 2 mags on a lagging heavy is not fun, if you try to convince me of otherwise, go higby yourself. :p
  13. Iridar51

And how many people already quit, and how many people will quit in the future because they're tired of dealing with bull **** mechanic such as this one?
    /bad_logic
  14. Scr1nRusher

Indar.....

The problems with the HA have nothing to do with the shield.

DBG could easily fix the HA by doing these things:

1) Removing 0.75 ADS off all LMG's that have it

2) Removing SMG's & Common class pool shotguns from the class.

3) Remove the ES G2G & G2A lock ons ability to be dumbfired.

I'll keep saying this over and over. This is exactly how you fix the HA without completely messing up the game balance.
  15. Dj Gus

Now the people in charge of balance issues should see this. Yet they don't. Plus ignore the subject.
    That boggles the mind... Hell i'm not a great player, obviously not able to overcome this "bullet sponge" mechanic that DBG has going.
    Lately been shifting more towards LA play, i just look down and think "Let farmers farm, nothing to see here..." and proceed in spreading the mayhem xD
  16. Iridar51

Indar?.. I am the Iridar.

Disagree with most points.

1) 75% ADS on LMGs is too good to be true, and it should be removed with some buffs to compensate, but it's not the main problem.

2) Removing SMGs and shotguns will just cut down on the number of available playstyles without doing anything. HA have the right to those weapons just as everyone else.

3) Why even? It will just make rocket launcher less versatile, unusable against MAXes and ground vehicles, in case of G2A launcher. This doesn't even solve anything. Lock-on launchers are already bad against infantry due to low velocity and no acceleration in dumbfire mode.

Shield is the problem with HA. I think that HAs deserve some cool defensive ability. The problem with current shield is that it's completely foolproof and doesn't allow counterplay. Slowing down by 25% isn't enough of a downside to compensate for near doubling the effective HP.

I think that HA ability should be redesigned into something tactical and situational - like other classes' abilities - and not a "get out of jail free" card.

This would allow actual counterplay - aim for the head or flank, and HA can't fire and get full coverage at the same time.
  17. MahouFairy

You can say the same to your LA jet wings.
  18. Casey B

Honestly I hate the HA mechanic. It's a big bundle of interest conflicts.

Oh look, vehicles. Vehicles get me more XP and killing them helps my team!

Uh oh there is infantry, let me just...pull out....my...lmg. Ok I can sho- *dead*

*respawn* damn that sucked. K forget my rocket launcher I'll just go ramboing.

*getting lots of kills* Yeah this is great! But...oh wait where is the rest of my team...? *they were killed by all the tanks.*

Well, ****.
  19. Scr1nRusher

People buy lock ons..... to lock on. Not to dumbfire them. Its really stupidly simple common sense.

Also 1-3 need to be done.

If you break the shield, down the line the game will break interms of combat relationships.
  20. Dj Gus

Problem with the current mechanic is that it's dumb and it's simple (Oh and unfair). It's also a crutch that's there from the start, so i honestly do not think they will ever change it. People will cry, and redditors and twitter users alike would wage war on devs to get their crutch restored... It's sad and it's true.