What's your gauge for reporting hackers?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Slamz, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Slamz

This is all assuming anyone working with Planetside 2 still monitors for hacks or does any bans.

I try to be careful in reporting hacks. Some people are just good. If I'm suspicious, I'll look them up. Some people, of course, are blatant, regardless of their stats. Jumping sideways and getting 3 headshot kills with a sniper rifle before you hit the ground? Enjoy starting the game over. But others are less obvious.

So what's your tipping point? Someone always seems to know where you are, wipes your whole squad and gets quite a lot of headshots. You look his stats up and his SPM is ______. His overall KDR is _______. This guy needs to get banned.

What's "really good" and what's "a baddie running some l33t hax"?
  2. Iridar51

It's impossible to tell cheats from average SPM and KDR, since they can be intentionally lowered. Same goes for all stats in general.

Personally, I'd call cheats in only extremely blatant cases, where the guy just keeps teleporting and knifing everyone, or gets multiple headshots from impossible distance for his gun.

I record 95% of the time I'm playing, so if I have a questionable moment, I just review footage later. My investigation always shows that no hacks were used, or that it's at least questionable.

I have a couple of good examples uploaded to my youtube channel, where it seems completely obvious that enemy was hacking, but on closer look turns out he wasn't.

Worst case, you can just report anyway. If the guy is innocent, he won't get banned.
    • Up x 2
  3. AssaultPig

I report anything suspicious; killed by 4-5 consecutive headshots, excessive warping, etc.

If they're innocent, nothing happens. If they're cheating... probably also nothing happens, but if nothing else you're one more report in a string of reports about that character.
  4. Kristan

Only if it's obvious hacking. Like several headshots in a row from huge distance or warping or wall hack.

GMs receiving reports by hundreds if not thousands daily. I'd like not to pile up reports of those who might be just good and innocent.
  5. MKEYCKOR

6. DrPapaPenguin

I report when I see a guy flood the killfeed with an infantry weapon. And by flood I mean he gets a kill every 2-3 seconds for an extended period of time.
  7. IPLAYTF2

i've encountered maybe 5 obvious cheaters in my 2 years of playing and haven't sent a single report. since you can just redeploy to some other base i don't bother wasting my time
  8. sixoo

do we have ingame gm? no. i just don't bother anymore who is really and who's not. obvius hackers will get banned after days, after thousands of reports.
  9. JobiWan

I came across a hacker last night, the most blatant hacker I've ever seen. It was at Eisa Tech Plant on Miller around 11:30pm (UK). I was guarding a capture point and this guy ran in with only his head above the floor. I managed to kill him with a lucky shot and he came back, again with his body in the floor and only his head showing and killed me.

At the same time there were several yells to report ***** as a hacker. He destroyed the SCU even though the shields were up. It was so blatant that even his own faction were reporting him and trying to TK him and some even suggested a brief ceasefire to allow TR to repair the SCU because they didn't want to win because of a cheat. He was blowing up sunderers, capping points, overloading shields etc and he was almost unkillable.

I don't have any confidence that reporting these lowlifes does anything, but they're spoiling the game.
    • Up x 1
  10. Haquim

Well one thing thats always suspicious is shooting people in the back, having them snap around to you and without even looking for where the shots came from instatly kill you with several headshots from 30m +.

Other than that, I suspect that there is a certain increase in aimbotting snipers, because since a week or so I get headshotted by snipers while moving a LOT more than before. And they are all BR<20. But I can hardly prove it, it might still be skill or lucky shots. Only the increasing frequency of that happening is suspicious.
  11. H4YW1R3

There are a lot of players that are quick to make hackusations whenever they are consistently defeated by a better player. That's obvious.

I've been playing shooters since R6: Rogue Spear. So I've been player shooters for about 15 years now. I'm definitely not the best player, but I'm far from the worst (skillwise). Other than the typical clan vs. clan thing that's common to most popular shooters, the only organized competitive play I've done was the TWL ladder for BF3. But I've always enjoyed watching sponsored competitions. I can recognize a skilled player.

What tips me off is when too many things don't add up. There's a lot of different cheats out there. Skilled cheaters (those skilled at cheating, not playing) learn to hide it for the most part. One of the biggest tells for me is their firing pattern. Mainly when it's always the same. It doesn't matter if they're flying, jumping, or falling through the air. It doesn't matter if you had the jump on them, how defensive you use game movements, or how many players they are engaged with. And it doesn't matter what the weapon or range. They confidently fire basically the same amount of ammo, killing each opponent, because they know their bot is going to get the same number of hits with the same amount of shots fired, and they're used to the sound and timing of their scripted shots. And they'll hit you with rockets or sticky grenades (not the ground, walls, or other terriain, you), no matter how defensively you move, even though you see the attack coming. And they do it consistently, not just a couple times. Every time.

I play with a good set of headphones, so I gain a lot of situational awareness from that. If you have always played with a cheap, or otherwise bad headset, it might make you suspicious of players who always seem to know you're coming when there are no dart or beacons deployed. I know this and allow for it. But cheaters will always know where you're coming even amidst large, noisome battles, when even a good headset can't help you, unless the cheater's attention is focused elsewhere.

But SOE, and it seems DB, doesn't do anything about these cheaters. At least not as long as they're throwing money at the game. Because no matter how obvious these cheaters are, or how many times however many players have reported them, they've been playing BR100 accounts for months or years. Even infantry based KDRs of 11+.

Because of this, more and more players are using hacks. I've seen players that always were average at best, with low KDRs suddenly become able to take out entire squads. And their KDRs start rising quickly. But of course nothing happens when you report them, even though the same obvious patterns are there.

I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theory that some of these corporate owned games make money off these hacks themselves. EA/Dice seem to go that extra mile to prevent the banning of script kiddies with each new release. I guess it's just another way to make money off a title, even though it's done under the table, so to speak.
  12. Ballto21

>Battlerank
    >Distance killed from
    >Amount of times killed
    >Weapon used
    >Headshots or bodyshots
    >Look him up on https://www.planetside2.com/players
    >KDR higher than three,time played, accuracy and HSR higher than 40%

Example is i was killed from 125+m while deepcloaked having not uncloaked since i was behind cover and i was headshot by a br 16 with a heavy cycler on a max.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ballto21

did a ceasefire happen at least?
  14. Ballto21

id like to take this moment to say that if youre on emerald TR or NC and i snipe you while youre moving or zigzagging i am not hacking, merely getting significantly better at pegging moving targets and prediction. I probably missed you at least twice.
    • Up x 1
  15. Haquim

Nah, I'm on Cobalt, which seems to have very few hackers anyway.
    And as I said: Those aren't necessarily hackers, there are people who can do that. But an increase in that kind of death by roughly 500% is kinda suspicious....
  16. DramaticExit

There are a number of people on Cobalt who might very well be using ESP.

In answer to the original post, I basically report stuff that just feels wrong. I'm pretty accepting of my own failure most of the time, but occasionally I die in a way that leaves you spluttering out some words about the poop of a male bovine.

Someone who walked around a corner with a bolt action already aimed right at my face. The guy who kills people just a little too fast anf frequently. That guy who triple-headshots you for the third time in a row at ranges where you wonder if that's actually physically possible (twice in a row I can accept at luck or talent). The people who seem to know where everyone is despite there being no sensor darts out.

These are the thing that'll get a report from me. It might be I'm reporting a number of people who're just good or having a lucky run that day, and that's fine. They won't suffer for it.however, if even one of the people I've reported has turned out to be cheating, then every one of those reports is justified.
  17. Klypto

I did that 3 times just yesterday. Oh well...
  18. Haquim

Well, if you don't even have to look - and subsequently aim - for enemies and simply score headshots do me and everyone else the favor and turn yourself in.
    I believe there are a lot of people better than me, but instinctively killing an enemy 30m behind you in 0.5s with headshots only is not among the feats I think possible without any technical help.
  19. JonboyX

I exceeded my tipping point in 2014.
    Now I just don't bother reporting anyone.

The fights are typically so short / one sided that I just play redeployside and go find somewhere else. Occasionally I'll look up someones killboard, but more out of a curiosity to see how good they are. Generally the really good players have come, conquered, left to play other competitive games... or are just farming for fun. If you're still cheating in PS2 then, well, why? Who needs to prove themselves in this game any more? It can only be to wind people up, so I don't bite.
  20. 00000000000000000000

If I suspect someone of hacking then I take a few deep breaths and dont report them.

I have 600 hours and have reported only a single person (whom I witnessed literally flying around as a max constantly getting instant Headshots)

Sure I've probably run into a few other hackers but theres no reason I should report wildly unless I can confirm my suspicions, theres also a lot of other things which can explain away "Hackers" such as bad connection resulting in what looks like people walking through walls. "Instant" headshots etc.