Inability to create new content?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZZYZX, Mar 23, 2015.

1. ZZYZX

Hey there gang,

I didn't see a more relevant place to put this, but it's something that's come up in game lately that I feel the developer team should publicly address. In short, the game has become so stale due to a lack of new content (and even a lack of OLD content that was removed from PS1 and never returned), that I am starting to think the team is physically unable to add new content.

It's been 2 1/2 years with PS2 so far. And in that time, there have been some hand weapons, yes. But only 1 new air vehicle? And 0 new ground vehicles? And zero significant additions to the game play itself? I don't understand why there isn't a substantial amount of new, balanced (in play style terms) content in nearly 3 years. Other titles would have released new versions of the game by now, featuring significantly new content, new features, new maps - but not PS2. And I simply want to know the reason why.

Other features that used to exist, which used to add to the game's complexity and depth, failed to make it back for PS2 - in essence, the same as stripping features from the game. One thing that comes to mind are ANT runs to resupply bases with energy. This added a whole new element to the game, and gave us just a little bit more than the endless (pointless) back-and-forth. Why was that scrapped, and why hasn't it been brought back? Or why not something else to fill that void? Hell, I even liked the BFR's.

I can't tell if the team is misguided in their goals, or if they don't have the man power, or if they don't have the technical skill, or if the limitation is the game engine...I really don't know.

But a lot of us still wait...months and years go by...but we just wait for that day that maybe, just maybe, we will log on to see a game update that actually contains SIGNIFICANT CONTENT, rather than re-skins, camo, and a new pistol.

Could you guys please just come clean, and TELL US if that's never going to come? Because I feel that it's not really fair to keep us hanging and hoping if you know the entire time you're just going to collect as much money as you can by selling us useless junk that doesn't really add to the game in any significant way, and then shut the project down and take the game off line after you sucked us dry.

What's the deal, Devs? Why has there been only 1 new vehicle in nearly 3 years of this title, and virtually no significant gameplay additions? Please be honest with us...we are the reason you're here, after all. Thanks!
    • Up x 1
  2. sjtw_w_stot

Yeah, my All Access expired yesterday. Was about to re-sub but then thought... why?
    • Up x 2
  3. FnkyTwn

Higby is gone now, so maybe we'll start to see an improvement on the content end. I understand that the bug fixes have been veeeeeery important, but it's clear the the team was off-track for a while now. Part of the blame falls on the PS4 version, which conversely is also probably why the franchise is still being funded.

After the Devs came back from Xmas break Highy went into overdrive with grand promises and plans over on Reddit, which in hindsight probably coincided with him learning about SOEs dire straits. Hopefully the guy at the helm now (Andy Sites?) has decided on some new ideas and directions.

PS2 is still a pretty solid game, hell, the original would still be well populated if PS2 didn't exist.
    • Up x 1
  4. Pikachu

You forgot the harasser and Hossin? o_O
    • Up x 4
  5. FateJH

Correction, if it was still administrated. Unmoderated hacks drove most of the remaining players off. You'll find disparaged groups of players on Gemini from time to time, usually prime time weekend. I can't vouch for the NC but TR and VS tend to have one squad that runs. You encounter the same faces frequently.
  6. sjtw_w_stot

Yeah but SERIOUS 1012 bugs still run rampant with no foreseeable resolution in sight. It's now 2015... An entire new game could have been built from the ground-up and released in this timeframe.
    SOE gets an "F". Sell your stock boys, time is up.
    • Spawn in the sky and die
    • Exit vehicle, thrown into air and die
    • CTD - throws out your PC, have to restart entire rig. (this one alone loses 1st time players)
    • Vanguard gets pushed off road by an ATV (wtf!? Seriously -- WTF!? FIX YOUR GAME!!!)
    • Bump into bridge support beam - teammate bumps your rear bumper at the same time & BOOM!!!
    Feel free to add more PS2 nonsense.
    • Up x 1
  7. Gorbian

The Harasser has been a balance nightmare for most of its existence, swinging from wildly OP to just meh. And Hossin on Connery isn't populated much outside of alerts (Connery TR tend to avoid it anyways.) This game suffered from a severe lack of content for a very long time. And no, a couple guns with slightly different models and almost identical stats doesn't count, when we already have a plethora of guns to choose from.
    • Up x 1
  8. Leftconsin

Well, I know I hate Hossin. In fact right now on Connery the continents open are Hossin/Esamir; Esamir isn't very populated so I'm not playing.
    About new content: I expect no new significant updates anymore due to what happened during the SOE->DBG transition. I might end up being wrong on this, but I consider the game in it's final state right now. We'll get a slow trickle of underwhelming new weapons and Player Studio cosmetics.
    • Up x 2
  9. fives23

I do find the same 8 buildings everywhere and 4 rectangular continents annoying sometimes
    • Up x 4
  10. Saval

I agree with this. I've played maybe 1 hour since November....almost 6 months later...game needs more content...new vehicles...more continents...when new stuff starts getting added into the game, then I'll come back and spend money.
    • Up x 1
  11. vincent-

Not really and those are some rose tinted glasses there dude. I came to this because it advertised itself and was something visually appealing. I wouldn't have come to this not by a long shot if the ad was around ps1. I don't go to find old games I go too find something I can have fun with.

Neither you nor me speak for the whole but please don't assume.
  12. ZZYZX

Those both existed in PS1...not new content.
  13. iLogan

Meh, Im just playing Until Warhammer 40k.

3rd Person Planetside

Its Planetside 2. A Sequel. That is why they are adding content from the old game.
    Everything in the Future of the game will be stuff from Planetside 1. Deal with it.
  14. FnkyTwn

What am i assuming exactly? Before PS2 was announced, PS1 still had a LOT of regular players for a game that came out in 2003, which is one of the reasons SOE decided that making PS2 was viable. Other than that I was stating my opinion, but PS2 is fairly unique in what it can and does do.
  15. stalkish

Lol i think you just said that in an effort to get likes, there is no way in hell there is any rose tint in that post.

And why did you tell why you 'came to this game' he never mentioned new players at all......?

What he said was true, i for 1 would be still playing if ps2 hadnt been released, i know several more aswel who would be. Its not rose tint to enjoy a game, its enjoying a game.
  16. DxAdder

Its a FREE to Play game, they have no money for any real development.

If the PS4 version gets any real traction maybe you will see some significant content released.
  17. MasterMagnus

They can't even release player made cosmetics, that are handed to them and they keep 60% of profit.

Said they were taking a hiatus for January, marketplace person was laid off, still training the new person apparently.

There is a pile of Player Studio items that have been waiting since Dec 2014 (some items from Aug 2013 are still not in).

Being more understaffed than they were before and trying to 'make it right' on PS4 leaves many of us Player Studio artists wondering too.
    • Up x 2
  18. ZZYZX

They chose this format because on paper, this would make them MORE MONEY than a subscription-based format. Businesses as a general rule will never choose the option that makes them LESS money.
  19. Cookie5000

Two years later still not much new content except for the construction system. Man was hoping for naval battles now or something...
  20. Liewec123

and ant,
    and construction,
    and the 13 new vehicle guns
    and the 68 new infantry weapons
    :D

people like to say the game hasn't changed because the core mechanic hasn't changed, but that core mechanic is planetside 2!
    persistent massive battles, everything else has been expanded.