[Suggestion] Let's talk about the RailJack (AKA FailJack)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Korfax124, Mar 4, 2015.

1. MrJengles

I think being better at hitting moving targets at times is a desirable trait.

Really? I mean, we're commenting in a thread entitled "failjack" and I started posting against the idea that the delay is impossible to use. I think the extremes have gone too far the other way.

As I said, increase the delay to ~300ms and give it 6 rounds per magazine and it'll be more competitive and easier to use.
  2. Vaphell

But is it really noticeably better at doing that? A proof would be nice.
    If you know LS as the back of your hand and know offsets by heart, I don't see what significant improvement you could possibly get here, especially at that price.

I just went do dasanfall and i am not seeing that superior accuracy in RJ statistics.

Code:
                   AVG ACC                 AVG HSR
    Railjack       38.9% ± 6.7736%         74.0% ± 9.4523%
    Longshot       40.5% ± 6.3594%         76.8% ± 8.0435%
    Parallax       41.3% ± 6.4141%         77.4% ± 8.3745%
    RAMS50         40.5% ± 6.3299%         77.6% ± 8.1552%

looks like RJ is 2-3% behind tier3.
  3. MrJengles

We've already mentioned readjusting your shots for moving targets.

I didn't claim better total accuracy. In your own words looking at the different circumstances for misses vs hits "it's a wash".

It'd be interesting to see if that value went up or down at 300ms.

Let's not go in any more circles here.
  4. Vaphell

yes, in theorycrafting, i am waiting for a proof that it yields measurable improvement in real world scenarios that would make it worthwhile to suffer with all the very real drawbacks. Also if it's the same as its competition against stationary targets but better against the moving ones, surely that would be a net total improvement and the numbers would reflect that.
  5. Maxor

I may have 10% play time on PS2 but sniping took up a lot of my time in PS1. Also 10% equates to 106 hours so I think I've earned the right to give my opinion.
  6. lilleAllan

I bought the Railjack after getting auraxium with the Longshot and Bolt Driver.

I consider it to be the worst NC weapon by far. They already tried to balance out the bullet velocity and damage by giving it a glacial reload, 2 sec refire time (!!!) and 4 round mag. Then added the deal breaking trigger delay on top of that.... it's literally a worse Longshot.

I only pull it because of the cool skin and reload animation. Probably should have gotten the LA80 instead.
  7. Hegeteus

Apprentice level of necromancy
  8. Vixxing

Plz buff it! (since i play NC not VS now!) Still alot better than Phaseshift so ill just go ahead and auraxium it...
  9. AF8RailJack

From my humble opinion, Railjack is servicable as it is. I love the fact that is different than other bolt action snipers and i'd prefer it to stay that way. The reason I play PS 2 is exactly that diversity between all the weapons and all the factions.

People say its garbage at short ranges, again i'd say its not impossible to use , I'm starting to get used to 10m or less (as in almost/right next to you) headshots on adadad-moving targets with 6x scope. Its all about getting used to the flow of the weapon. In fact the new invisibility while couching mechanic always gives u the upper hand in close range. Also people mentioned quick scoping as an alternative way (and even better) than the standard way of using it close range and it is intact very possible to do so, mastering that mechanic is however quite hard (can only reliably do it with unmoving targets) but as everything else about this gun its all about the time you put into it. However it is strictly inferior to sas-r or other cqc weapons. (Or as mentioned hard to master in the case of quickscoping)

With regards to its advantages I do consider the delay as rather neutral. While it cant be used on a regular basis(as people mentioned it not being enough time to react to an enemy) it can be used to react and correct your own shot (when u immediately know your aim was a bit off and correct that to where you would have liked to have aimed at).

Where this weapon is better than the longshot is as people have mentioned the 300m+ niche. It is also the only weapon where u can OHK enemy snipers after400 m(not that this matters very often if at all but its nice to know that its there). The 300m+ advantage does matter a bit more often now (when rendering seems to be improved) Again it falls into a similar niche as phase**** where given the perfect circumstances it will be more useful than the t3 rifles.

One thing to note however is that you absolutely have to have hold breath implant for the 12x scopes and longer ranges otherwise you'd miss too many kills.(I'm talking about the delay kicking in after u've adjusted the aim for the headshot)

All in as a heavy user of the weapon I'm happy with the way it is. I wouldn't like to see it nerfed and I wouldn't mind seeing a buff on it but the weapon can live without it. However I absolutely dread the idea of making it more sumilar to other sniper rifles and being just one more carbon copy.

I feel that people should stop complaining about how weapon x performs worse or better than weapon y in the exact same situation. Having niche for weapons is required but that's where it should stop. Not all the factions have to have the same/similar weapons for the same situation, but rather players should adjust and play to their faction's strengths and avoid the weaknesses.

When I want to cqc/mid range someone with a nearly silent weapon(trap m1) i go on my TR account and don't complain why NC doesn't have that. When I want to park myself on a tree and have infinite ammo with silenced weapon I use phaseshift. When I want to couter-snipe non experienced snipers at 300+ range (experienced ones are hard to kill unless they are being lazy) then I use my RailJack. For everything else , I still use my RailJack (but that's just me :p , people should probably use weapons best suited to match that situation)
  10. Sierra284

I got the Auraxium medal on my Railjack on my first account. It wasn't hard, just long. I found that the Railjack is a long range assassination rifle perfect for picking off engineers, medics, and unaware HA's and LA's, or even counter sniping.

The point is you compensate for the firing delay by hitting static targets, which you could do with any other sniper rifle but the Railjack allows for more extreme ranges and reliable hits at those ranges.

I often find places where it's so much of a pain in the ***, neither the TR or the VS have it in them to come and root me out and I can just pick targets off at my leisure.

It kinda requires the hold breath implants but with some practice you can figure out how to use it without the implants.

It is worth noting though that the Railjack was nerfed a few times before it was released and at least once or twice after release.

First iteration of the Railjack included a shotgun mode (of course 9_9 ), it was also pretty effective as a railgun anti-vehicle weapon against tanks and aircraft when hitting the rear armor. (Much more so than the Archer)

These features were removed and it was released with a 10-round magazine and a ****** bullet drop.

It's bullet drop was altered after that and the magazine size reduced to 4-rounds, it's been like that more or less ever since.
  11. FieldMarshall

After playing all 3 factions, its still my favourite ES SR, and dare i say, the best one.
    Also the fastest weapon to reliably get kills for Sniper Rifle Master.

I think it was meant as a weapon that can hit moving targets more easily.
    I base that not only on its high velocity, but also the delay mechanic.
    Because if you lead targets at range, fire, and keep on leading your target after pressing fire, the delay downside will be negated.
    You can also use the delay to your advantage by very slightly adjusting your shots for fast moving targets that twitch around.
    I feel like a lot of people park their crosshairs in front of their targets and wait for them to get close to the center before shooting.
    Then get upset when the "delay" screws them over.
    Citing stats about how far away the target has to be before the RJ catches up to the LS in terms of delay and velocity etc. while hating on the RJ.

This really explains it better than me why the RJ is so strong at range:

And here is something scary to think about.
    The other two ES SRs would need a buff, just to get onto the same level of the current RJ.
    If you buff the RJ, imagine how much you would have to buff PS and TRAP to make them viable.
    For example removing chargeup on PS and making semi/bolt seperate fire modes or the TRAP getting accuracy/cof/dropoff buffs and full auto.
    • Up x 1
  12. Krinsee

You get your second fire mode... My phase shift gets a secondary fire mode that lets me fire a fully charged shot at the single click instead of charging for 1 second.