[Suggestion] New anti-tank sniper with new scopes and anti-tank shells and explosive shells

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dragonold103, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Atis

Nearly invisible sniper, actually killing tank from 500+ meters is out of question.

I'd like to see AT rifle for HA, which can plink heavy armor with small damage at long range. This way it wouldnt shatter class balance (HA is viable AT class already), death from nowhere wouldnt make vehi play nonviable (TTK with that rifle is huge) but allow to deter tanks, shelling bases from faraway hill.
  2. Auzor

There are still a few "recoil-less" rifles in existence, 'Gustav' etc I think.
    57mm is a diameter still in existence? If people call it a "AT rifle", fine. But it's really more replacing a cannon or a rocket launcher..

That would likely be pretty bad news for a small ship, an APC,.. or something.
    But, agreed that I absolutely would not fancy setting such thing up in front of an mbt and "poke the bear" with one.
    (not in the military, never fired anything full auto)
    (yes, infantry would be within range of the mbt.. so at OP: no to the ridiculous 20x scope etc. )
    • Up x 2
  3. Movoza

Let us give snipers and rocket launchers for the LA too! Then it is more useful.

It is a bad idea in my book. Every unit has a role to play in this game. Infiltrators have a great many roles. They have both long range and short range anti-infantry capabilities. They have spotters, can infiltrate facilities and can hack terminals and turrets, which can easily change a battlefield more often than you might think. They don't need an anti-tank role. They don't need more usefulness than they already have. The power to be unseen and unspotted on medium to long ranges is very powerful already. Let them stick to that role and not be another one guy fits all description.

Edit: Also, why would you want stronger Lancers with less ammo? The anti-tank nests would be unbearable. No one could pull a tank or aircraft reliably at that point, especially because you can move your whole nest by stealth. Imagine a whole group on stealth wraiths and one or two engineers on the back. They can decloak at range, having minimal risk. Fire a few rounds all together and kill a few targets, get back on the flashes and disappear. Then redo it from another angle. It is way too easily too powerful and game breaking.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ianneman

Replace tank/vehicle with Liberator and you'll get a hell of a lot more support for this idea.
    • Up x 1
  5. Kloz

Ok... I've had it with you people saying that infiltrators are not useful, are you all delusional or something? Infiltrators already have the ability to hack panels and turrets, they can give everyone on their faction a "wallhack" (motion sensor / darts) and they have a grenade that removes peoples HUD and shields (including the HA overshield).

This whole "circle jerk" where the infiltrator community feeds on its own (unjustified) self-pity for being useless and having "no utility" needs to stop.
    • Up x 1
  6. Kociboss

@OP

Does getting plinked by invisible man from another hex while being in a vehicle sounds fun to you?

DOES IT?
    • Up x 2
  7. CWorth

Hintg hint...this is not the real world.

Now I am not a vehicle user in any sense of the word and hate tanks to no end mostly due to the overpopulation of them and the to easy to spam and pull another after losing one thanks to a half ***** resource system they put into place.

With that said this gets a NO!!!!

One we already have enough Anti-vehicle arms without adding anymore to the mix let alone given to an infiltrator. And two they cannot even balance what they already have what makes you think they could even possibly balance adding yet another anti-vehicle weapon. And vehicles are already to easy to take out by infantry so they do not need yet one more way to do so.
    Let them get what we already have balanced (yes you can stop laughing at me now) before trying to add anything else to an already big mess.
  8. Flamberge

As in they don't have them yet.
  9. Jake the Dog

... granted they might in the 200-300 years later on auraxis...
  10. Jake the Dog

No, even as a liberhater, I don't want to see a sniper bring them down, thats just stupid.
  11. Flamberge

Possibly. But then you are getting into hypotheticals. The original quote that started our chain of debate was this one:

To which I objected, then you replied, I replied, etc.

But the point is that the OP was building this specific case on this rough concept:
    Currently in real life = In game

With the inverse being
    Not currently in real life = Not in game

I then objected that if current reality was the criteria for objects being in game, then hover tanks, cloaking, etc should not be because they do not exist yet. Therefore, reality cannot be the criteria for implementing objects in game, or, as you said, we would have tanks that damaged anything in a 200m radius and tons of other awesome stuff.

(Btw, not trying to be mean or whatnot, I just really dig a good debate where both side have facts. And of course I don't believe my logic is infallible. it's just so rare to get into a cool, informed debate on the internet now days...)
  12. Jake the Dog

Well, my whole thing is that scientists are currently working on how to bend light around objects, something the military wants (maybe has??? (Im artillery I'll never know till everyone else does)) very very badly.

Shields are still possible by creating a layer of matter or a strong enough magnetic field to repel objects, or at least slow them down.

Nanites, are something alot of coorperations are working on.

Hovertanks, not economically feasible yet because we need a power source thats more efficient than gasoline or diesel. (this s*** is not gonna run on solar power), however we do have hover craft for beach operations. However, I imagine that the mavueverability of a hover tank and its speed would be probably unmatched by other tanks.
    Technically speaking the mag should be crazy fast as there is minimal friction with the ground and you have some plasma jet engine on the back would be probably unmatched by other tanks given newtons law stating an object in motion stays in motion until acted upon by an outside force. There is little friction between the vehicle and air,

Well, thats my 2cents on the matter, Im just an artilleryman anyways.

Science was built upon hypotheticals... (and math, a metric **** ton of math)

And currently in rl is also long range lockon missiles that travel miles upon miles at mach 7 to their target... Skyknights would be furious XD.

Granted also humanity might not exist in that time...
  13. Flamberge

Well yeah, but with regards to Magriders you forgot to factor in the Spandex and square by swag.:p

But seriously, some guys were able to make a light-bending "cloak" out of household materials, which made your hand invisible when you put it in front of the lens. It was scary cool.

Anyway, before we derail this topic any further, good debate/talk.

Also, something to think about, what would militaristic video games have in the 2-300 years from now, when hover tanks/cloaks are common place? :confused:
    • Up x 1
  14. Jake the Dog

Probably battlefield 1942... Because at that point Im pretty sure its just click and kill...
  15. Dragonold103

I didn't say the infiltrators are not useful, they are and just going into bases or under a Bridge without anyone knowing and coming out to surprise the enemy, I did this when I was under the bridge using a SMG I got from a bundle pack off steam called Elite Soldier Bundle. (It stay to your account and all ever empires, also if you create a new one the bundle pack will be with that empire)
  16. Halkesh

Anti-tank gun already exist, it's the Lancer.
    [IMG]
    But you don't :
    -OHK infantry
    -have cloak
    -have splash damage
    -have a zoom

Anti-material alreay exist :
    Xbow with explosive dart and grenade launcher.
    They deal (low) damage to heavy armor and enough damage to light armor.

Planetside 2 don't need a class with the ability to being invisible to have access to AV weapon, if we had needed it, infiltror would have access to C4, but it isn't the case.

Wait for the anti-material rifle and then claim SOE for a buff.
  17. Krinsee

I would much rather see Infils receive an EMP rifle that does 0 damage to vehicles but temp disables weapon systems for a vehicle based on range. This would better suit the role of Infil being more of a disruptive force than a destructive one.

1 shot weapon then reload or heat based mechanic. 1 shot would disable weapons for 2 seconds under 50m. with it scaling down to only .5 seconds past 150m, with the heat mechanic charge would be able to disable for as long as you keep it on target with a max time of 3 seconds with a 6 second cooldown from overheat and a 4 second from just before overheat. This would make it so a single infil couldn't remove the sniping gameplay of tanks completely but make it more difficuly or annoying. A pair working together could disable a single target almost indefinatly if timed correctly.

By disable I mean keep from firing. Reload, and vehicle abilities would be unaffected. Also it could be given mass damage vs deployment shields on sundies (2-3 shots to drop) and reduce the recharge time on abilities but not drain them.
  18. Xiad

There's been posts about something FAR better than any of this AV rifle nonsense floating about for a while now. I've not been bothered to track it down, but they are out there.

An infiltrator targetting tool (or a name to that effect).

-Indefinitely spots a vehicle whilst maintaining contact
    -Shows current armor state + occupants to all nearby allies
    -Highly visible on field + minimap
    -Negates effect of stealth/smoke/flares
    -Reduces lock-on time
    -Line of sight of AV/AA no longer determinant for achieving/maintaining lock (cover does not break lock, but still affects potential to hit)
    -Disrupts vehicle hit direction detection
    -Cumulative effect with multiple locks

I've just listed some of the potential benefits of such a tool off the top of my head. This is not an exhaustive list. Not only that, some of these might even be far too advantageous. How these things would be balanced is not of my concern, only the fact that the infiltrator can potentially have an AV/AA role without the need to do direct damage is interesting to me.

This, in any shape or form, makes far more sense than any ridiculous weaponry you can throw at an infiltrator. Let's talk about this instead.
  19. Ogopogo

I don't get some of the panic with letting the infiltrator use the upcoming AV rifle, because:

• They've said it's going to do severely reduced damage to heavier armour.
    • We don't know the stats yet. It could have terrible damage falloff that makes all these fears of long distance reduced.
  20. Xiad

There is panic because dev time is being spent on something that will either turn out to be painfully overpowered in given situations or entirely pointless. There is virtually no room for a grey area.

If it's OP, it will lead to other forms of AV being devalued; I mean, it's hard to get past the idea of a squad of AV infiltrators running about with an engi sniping tanks to death virtually undetected.

If it doesn't do decent damage, what the hell is the point of it? Why waste dev time on it? There are far more important issues to address than nonsensical additions to an already rather extensive AV arsenal. People clamour for things without even considering the wider implications of their wants. DBG is going to make money out of this and then forget about it, as SOE has done with several ideas in the past. This new, half-baked content is easy to spit out. It's an excellent business model for short-term gains.

THAT, my dear friend, is the problem.