[Suggestion] BF2142 LMG's are the solution to the Heavy Problem

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by haniblecter, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mythologicus

My problem with snipers is that they turn the fun areas of bases into total death zones the instant they arrive and create the 30v30 door-to-door exchanges that we get now, which are boring as hell. There are a lot of bases that play brilliantly when you can take full advantage of the open areas within and around them. Snipers work as area-denial weapons and force everyone indoors or into tight, covered areas, where the fighting quickly becomes stale. There are no tactics, there's no strategy, there's just hiding from snipers. And it sucks.

But this is beyond the scope of this thread, unfortunately.
  2. FocusLight

It would seem you and I play completely different games. In the game I play, the power to not only heal yourself infinitely to the point that medical syringes become obsolete, but also heal and revive others as needs dictate, combined with the power of the most controllable and powerful weapon class in the game - Assault Rifles, not LMG's - make the *COMBAT* Medic the most universally useful class.

The game I play is also one where one will be hard pressed to decide if you see more Heavies around you than Medics, I have all but stopped using HA's as my go-to class as the Medic class provides everything I require in a single package. Indeed because I don't need medkits - outside of extremely rare use of the shield dome - I pack two bricks of C4 at all times. It does not have the range of a rocket-launcher and I can't carry my G2A pest-repellent on me, but the ability to stick two bricks of C4 on something and blow it up is extremely useful in almost any situation.

Heavy Assault are universally enjoyed solely for two things - long-range anti-tank or anti-air options, and better survivability in direct face-to-face combat by use of the shield - even then it very rarely save you from more than one enemy at a time, and even then you can still be felled by means of a sharp aim straight for your head. I have killed many heavies *with their shields on* and have lost many fights as heavies *with my shield on* because the opponent's aim was truer than mine, and that is not hard to understand when you consider the recoil of most LMG's - incidentally one of the reasons people find VS LMG's to be more user-friendly - compared to Assault Rifles in general.

This is ultimately another "whines about HA's being OP and peddles a poorly-considered 'solution' that is nothing more than a class-killer or a severe nerf" and my only conclusion to your consideration is that you can't have played very long and/or your suggestion has not been considered in your head for very long before you decided to share.
  3. KnightCole

Yeah, I will agree with you there. But as for the area denial, stale fighting style, I find aircraft do that far more effectively. its why I have pretty much relegated myself to sitting inside towers, and poking out for only a few seconds, and almost never long enough for a sniper to shoot me..I just assume one is always aimed at me lol. And its hwy this game became very boring.....camping in a spot that is safe from snipers and planes, and waiting for targets...it gets boring fast.

Gone are the days when I would hoof it from andvari bio to snowshear, or grab a tank or Flash and drive there. Almost invariably, it resulted in a plane showing up and blowing my *** away...so I redeployside if I am going anywhere.
  4. HerpTheDerp

Yeah, to this day Battlefield 2142 remains the only FPS I played where LMGs were their own class of weapons, not just slightly worse(or better) assault rifles.
  5. Pikachu

Negative bloom, a way of reducing dps early on. Like spin up time, except the reduction is range based instead of time based. :) Never played BF214. Maybe heavies could get an ns lmg with this feature.