[Suggestion] M3 Pounder needs its splash damage reduced

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vivel, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Mxiter

You're right OP, it deserve a 33% splash radius reduction (1 dmg @ 2 m instead 3m) and a 33% direct damage buff instead our 20% direct damage + 30m/s velocity buff (as compensation for higher drop).
  2. DashRendar

Along that same line of thinking, you could argue that a grenade shouldn't do as much damage to armored targets as it does. Which do you like better?

I like the Pounders how they are, I just wish the Comet/Falcons got similar splash damage values, as they literally have zero, which is a bit silly.
    • Up x 1
  3. OldMaster80

I'm fine with reducing Pounders splash damage: the day they will reduce the Ravens range.
  4. SheepsRule

Splash damage RADIUS reduction would well in order if projectile speed would be increased.
  5. _itg

The problem with Pounders is that TR is the only faction which doesn't have to choose between AI and anti-MAX, because they get to do both at the same time. It's a really big deal in biolabs, towers, and similar bases, where you have to fight a lot of both of them.
  6. FateJH

Wait, I got this one.
    I'm serious, shotgun MAXes are the main reason I got to using HEGs. Those things murder a MAX's face faster than a TR's chaingun can.

Removing the splash is not going to stop the TR from using them for AI because the splash isn't strong enough to be worth relying on, and removing it doesn't change how many direct hits you need to volley to kill an Infantry target if you fire both arms simultaneously.
    • Up x 2
  7. _itg

Shotgun MAXes vs. other AI MAXes is a totally different balance discussion. There are dozens of threads by NC players complaining that they're at a massive disadvantage. In any case, I think you'd probably agree that if you're going to be capped at a 8m effective range with a tiny magazine and long reload, you deserve to have an advantage within that range. However, Pounders still beat you at all ranges, and are equally deadly out to 20-30m.

I would also add that I didn't say anything about the splash damage. Please don't put words in my mouth.
  8. FateJH

That's why I separated the comment by a paragraph. I'm repeating the counterargument that has yet to be challenged and tried to keep it separate, spaced from my reply to you.
  9. HadesR

They could do with being buffed versus vehicles but made less effective versus Infantry ..

How ? No clue :)

Buff raw Vehicle Dmg, increase velocity but Lower Rate of fire and increase reload speed ? ..

IMO what makes them to good versus infantry is their SMG Grenade launcher fire rate :p
  10. _itg

Fair enough. The only thing I'll add on the subject is that Pounders can kill with one double hit plus a little bit of followup splash. Reducing the splash damage would force the user to get two direct double hits, which is slightly harder, as well as reduce their effectiveness against MAXes. The problem there is it's a stronger nerf for anti-MAX purposes than anti-infantry, but it's supposed to be a good anti-MAX weapon and a bad one for anti-infantry.
  11. MahouFairy

Do you honestly think we can aim reliably at these ranges too?
  12. _itg

Yes? That's not that far, and a MAX isn't exactly a difficult target.
  13. SwornJupiter

;) Reduce splash radius, increase direct hit damage
    My pounders are getting thirsty. Time to pull them out of retirement.
  14. MahouFairy

True, but you are comparing an AV weapon with a AI one. And that AI shotgun takes out MAXes as well. If we used twin chainguns, I don't think we can take out MAXes as reliably as twin shotguns.
  15. _itg

It's true I'm comparing an AV weapon to an AI one, but that was only to counter a specific argument someone else brought up. I'm fine with Pounders being better at killing MAXes than shotguns. My original point is that Pounders are too good because they're an all-in-one AI and anti-MAX weapon, which means TR players don't have to choose which one they want to do. They can farm infantry all day (not quite as well as with chain guns, but well enough), then when another MAX shows up, they rip it to shreds, too.
  16. MahouFairy

Until a shotgun max shows up... With a shield.

Pounders don't perform exceptionally well in AI. We don't need to choose whether to go AI or AV because it is versatile, like the Basilisk. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Farm infantry all day? All I get are hit markers but no one dying because the splash isn't something I'd rely on. I can shoot the ground directly below me and I see my hp barely decreasing.
  17. _itg

Pounders beat any form of shotgun MAX unless you get caught in a reload. The shield is irrelevant. The point here is, only TR has a "jack of all trades" weapon, and it turns out to be a lot more useful than the basilisk.
  18. MahouFairy

Beat any MAX with a shotgun? Don't make me laugh.
  19. Jalek

Dozens of C4-tossing LA's that tasted my Falcons might disagree about the limitations of other factions MAX AV options.
    • Up x 2
  20. _itg

Not only do they have a lower TTK than the shotguns do, but they have much more range. Do I need to quote you the stats?