Dear Random Gunner Guy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JudgeNu, Mar 7, 2015.

1. BobSanders123

With the vulcan gunner must shoot at everything.
  2. ColonelChingles

As someone who plays TR the least, you have no idea how fun it is to just hold down the trigger and go "BWWWWAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR".

Seriously. There's nothing as satisfying. The Enforcer just goes, "blep... blep... blep..." while the Saron is a bit nicer with the "zap-zap-zap" sounds. But still nowhere near as therapeutic as a Vulcan.

Even if I'm not hitting anything with it. :D
  3. SpaceCommie

Yeah, the Enforcer needs a rework of the sound effects. Something along the lines of the railguns from "Eraser" would be nice.
  4. AssaultPig

if you don't want a gunner you really might as well be in a lightning

just removing gunners that obviously don't know what's going on is a better approach than not having them at all
  5. Sixstring

The real way to solve this issue is to just put an universal "I need a gunner!" Callout in the voice commands that alerts all nearby infantry (maybe engineers only...lol) that there are open and willing tank drivers nearby. This way solo tank drivers will be left alone for the most part and tanks can still be effective as team units.
  6. Uvirith

Wait, does that mean the Pilots/Drivers DONT really want someone to use their weaponry?
    As a new player myself I have to say thats something I really didnt know and comes as quiet a shock to me.
    I always thought a gunner would be something useful.

But how do you guys use your weapons then? Do you switch seats and alternate between driving and shooting?
  7. Ronin Oni

:eek:

I... you... what??
  8. Ronin Oni

Gunner, yes.

Gunner that shoots before main driver shoots (or being shot at anyways... or at the very least obviously spotted but it better be a threat trying to sneak up or something) is not something most drivers want.
  9. Uvirith

That means while being 2nd in a Platoons Magrider I shouldnt shoot at infantry when I see them? Only if the Driver shoots at them first?
  10. Pelojian

PUB gunners can be a big boost or a big liability. if you are new and the weapon mount you are not familiar with is the weapon you are using at least look up the description so you know not to spam the vulcan at every goddamn infantryman at 100m.

trust me sometimes an empty gunner slot is an advantage over a clueless gunner.

a good example is a newbie gunner spamming the basilisk at long range on a vanguard showing anyone around to see the tracer fire where the tank is, while i sneak around a hill with my AV/Vulcan stealth prowler and shell his *** to death.

that's the biggest problem with pub gunners they don't know the weapon, they don't know when it's appropriate to fire, they don't know or care how to look for cues that the driver is trying to be sneaky and stealthy.

this is why when i pull a solo loadout prowler i lock it, because i don't want some mush for brains firing on that lib that will just piss it off and get me killed.
  11. CNR4806

I kid you not: I often lock my Sunderer. Thank god for Redeployside (otherwise the thing would be too important for the team to ever lock).

Random gunners, with few exceptions (which are actually pretty good and mow down droves of people with my Kobalt), have the following quirks:
    1. Shoot at everything not an enemy for absolutely no reason whatsoever
    2. Fail to shoot at enemy in plain sight, or miss so horribly you run that enemy over (and I'm talking about a god damn Kobalt gunner)
    3. Shoot at something the gun he's manning is completely useless against, like a Kobalt against a Lib or Gal.
    4. Attempt to hop right back on (and continue to suck) if you just eject him but not locking the vehicle
    5. Shoot a rocket/C4/<insert explosive> at you immediately if you lock the damn thing

It is little wonder that I main Lightning before switching to Sunderer, because to this date I still find random gunners a pain in the *** and I can't be bothered to make in-game friends to gun for me.
  12. Towie

Well personally speaking, i'm very happy for a gunner to jump in - in fact, when playing VS, i'm UTTERLY DESPERATE for someone to jump in to the Magrider to make it more viable against the Prowler / Vanguard. So much so that i'll deliberately hang around a spawn until I get one, pleading in proxy chat !

True that the Vanguard is pretty mean as a 1/2 but I run Halberd and a reasonable gunner is the icing on the cake. I struggle most to get someone into the Prowler.

On the other side of the coin, i'll jump in and start gunning for an open vehicle - if I get booted then I don't get upset, I just carry on with the fight.

The only time you really need an obedient gunner is when you're going stealth - in which case, i'll use proxy to give instructions.

So my letter would be - dear all, feel free to be my gunner, feel free to boot me if you don't want me as a gunner, have fun whatever you decide...
  13. Uvirith

To be fair, I dont think that has anything to do with mush for brains. Its just, nowhere in any tutorials or videos or written guides it states something remotely like "dont shoot at anything while in a gunner-seat" or "dont shoot at infantry with an AA-Weapon" or "when its aropriate to fire and when not".
  14. Haquim

Not a bad idea, but **** proxy. Just make a channel for "In-Vehicle" or something. Coordinating fire and tactics goes a long way, no idea why we don't have that yet.

Also make it more fun to play taxi for randoms:
    "Attention all passengers! The left wing is NOT on fire!"

I have a list of people like you - they die as soon as I spot them. Rather disappointing it happens so rarely since there are a lot of players and its hard to spot the names...
  15. Pelojian

I agree with you. the tutorial is lacking. if the developers actually balanced the game so things aren't OP or broken they may have time to fix up the tutorial with some useful information.

everyone's at newbie gunner stage at some point the only difference is some pick up the information because people let them know the dos and don't while the rest run around ignorant and plink, plink away at something the gun doesn't do anything to other then display hit markers.
  16. stalkish

So you punish what you describe as a non team player who got you killed, by killing your team?
    Makes perfect sense, your name is worthy.....
  17. stalkish

Its all about common sense, if your in a tank and driving from wargate to the fight, you dont want to be shooting that liberator thats flying over since they will defo spot your tank then and will defo fly down for some free points.
    Same with ESFs, you arnt really outfitted to kill ESFs with a tank (not a competent pilot anyways) so shooting at ESFs flying over isnt generally a good idea.
    Also need to bare in mind that most tankers will use stealth, you can tell if they do from the stealth module that will be attached to the vehicle somewhere (cant find a pic of it, sorry). If your driver is using stealth you should wait to fire until the driver does.

Of course if you see a close range infantry charging you with c4 then spot it and shoot at it instantly, same with wraith flashes that are driving towards you (proably have c4 attached), but remember the enemy can hear your callouts even when inside a vehicle so dont just spot everyhing in sight, ive spoiled the plans of many sneak attacks because they spotted me too early and it gave them away.

Basically it can be summed up with 1 sentiment.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  18. Ronin Oni

Don't shoot at them unless they're shooting at you or are a threat (HA with a RL who's seen you? Yeah, ok)

Point is, if you haven't been spotted yet, don't give your position away.
  19. JudgeNu

I run Lightnings.
    AP and HE.
    Love 'em.
    I got all the bling.

When I chose to run a Vanguard its typically AP with a Canister.
    My playstyle when I do this is to stick with the Sundy that is most useful to protect it or just all around defense.
    I have to place myself in a spot to be aware of my surroundings if there are no tanks in sight I use my canister to pick off LA/HA trying to kill the sundy and switch to AP when I need to put on some damage.

I cant be caught alone so I have to choose wisely my movements.
    Going solo MBT you have to be careful where you go cuz you will lose to a 2/2 MBT or get double teamed.
    I don't rely on any of my teammates.
    Frankly I cant.
    No offence but the enemy is not casual.
    I have to be "professional", I cannot let my guard down to cater to those who are not aware of the situations at hand.
    It comes from experience.
    You have to become a Planetsider, not just a FPS'r.
    It is a new era.

You can teach an old dog new tricks.
  20. KnightCole

I mained HA, idk how he fits inside the Vanguard, its a kind small tank....esp not wearing all that armor, the helmet, the tank ammo, my ammo, the rocket, the secondary weapon, the rocket ammo, and all the tanks components....
    • Up x 1