[Suggestion] Magrider needs some attention

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BorgUK1of9, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Linus

Last time they talked about the Magrider for a change, they wanted to reduce the top speed of the racer chassis.
    When I see what they have done to the Saron and to the PPA, I would prefer that they ignore the Magrider totally because their "nerf hammer" is legendary.

Anyway, the game is not on its apogee anymore so I would be surprised if they decide to change this vehicle in any way.
    Furthermore, they have never cared to fix the tremendous damage of the collisions (insta-death) or the easy flipping upside down....yes not even the basics so why expecting more?
  2. Shadownium

They should make the main gun harder hitting and faster projectile speed.
  3. IDayRax

I have personally used much Magrider (Auraxium)

It has its advantages and disadvantages as the Prowler and Vanguard.

a change that I see reasonable to eliminate the fall bullet, but keep the current speeds.

But that's my idea ... do not know how this would impact on the battlefield
  4. vanu123

If it really were impassible then the magrider wouldn't be able to get there anyway. I am talking about the weapons as is but if you want to include abilities then sure, Magrider has a top speed of 95, Vanguard gets an IWINSHIELD, and the Prowler still has the DPS to melt thorugh both of them. Prowlers can duke it out with vanguards, Vanguards can duke it out with any tank, the magrider CANNOT DO THAT! http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=kills&weapon1=3460&weapon2=3730&weapon3=4008 Magrider is at the bottom
  5. ColonelChingles

I dunno. I'm just a data monkey. I don't know why any of it is the way it is. I just report what I see. :p
  6. QuakerOatsMan

"Impassable" terrain as in terrain that vanguards and prowlers have no hope at all of traversing, i.e.: 45º+ slopes on hills that only harassers and magriders can get over.
    Your link points out kills, not vehicle kills which AP cannons are built for. "Vehicle kills" means all vehicle kills. There is no "MBT vs MBT" data on that site, which you seem to imply that those statistics point out. In any case, the magrider isn't even lagging far behind for a tank with lower damage output.

And as I've said before, weapons and their statistics alone don't account for the entirety of a tank. Why are you so fixated on having high DPH/DPS weapons, or being able to "go head-on" against a MBT that specializes in going head-on against MBTs (with a tank that's best at hit-and-run style combat?) The magrider isn't built to trade hits. Don't even get me started on the poo-storm that would ensue following a buff on a magrider primary DPS.
    If you really want to throw down DPH/DPS or trade hits against another tank, then why aren't you playing NC/TR, since their MBTs are so amazing at it (and since you don't seem to care for going at a "top speed of 95," nor the magrider's mobility advantages?)
    • Up x 3
  7. ColonelChingles

Seriously... not only that, but the relevant stat is Vehicle Kills Per Hour, because total kills or vehicle kills tells you nothing about the efficiency of each vehicle. By calculating it per hour of use, you can arrive at a stat that reflects actual vehicle power, not just how many people happen to be driving around in it.

As measured by VKPH, the top is the Prowler, the middle is the Magrider, and the worst anti-vehicle MBT is the Vanguard.
    • Up x 2
  8. vanu123

Nonetheless the Magrider is still behind even though most seem to think it is by far the best tank. Could it be that is simply not true? No of course not. I main VS/NC.
  9. ColonelChingles

Just for clarification, how are you measuring and concluding that the Magrider is behind?
  10. vanu123

I've linked it.
  11. Marsali

Everyone look at his arguments. It is becoming rather obvious that this guy is a troll. Seriously claiming that the magrider can't dodge shots and are just faking out gunners as if it really matters if they dodge or force someone to overcompensate and miss. Add to that the fact that a magrider CAN dodge at long range. The vehicles are BALANCED as in each have strengths and weaknesses. A good magrider will run circles around a vanguard and a good vanguard can force that same magrider into a situation where its maneuverability is compromised. It doesn't mean one is better than the other it simply means they have different play styles. Your inability to learn how to drive a magrider is irrelevant.
  12. ColonelChingles

If the stat you're relying on is "total kills" like you mentioned here:

That's the wrong stat to use. First, total kills includes infantry kills, which has nothing to do with AV effectiveness. Second, total kills doesn't take into account population imbalances, so if you have an overall larger NC population that overall pulls more tanks, of course they're going to get more total kills.

The correct stat to look at is Vehicle Kills Per Hour, which controls for the time usage differences. Looking at VKPH simply answers, "How many vehicles can a MBT kill with the primary cannon within an average hour of usage".

For the 30-day average VKPH values, you can look here (same source) and pick "MBT Primary Weapons".

Based on those stats, we see that:

Prowler AP- 13.50 VKPH
    Magrider AP- 12.16 VKPH
    Vanguard AP- 10.86 VKPH

So the Magrider AP cannon outperforms the Vanguard's, though both are beaten by the Prowler.
    • Up x 3
  13. Alarox

If you're going to link statistics then you need to understand what they mean rather than just saying "X < Y, therefore Y is better than X"

When you link total kill statistics, you are NOT linking performance statistics.

Performance statistics deal with what the thing does when it is being used.

Total kills is more dependent on how much that thing is being used rather than how good that thing is at killing.

http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=playtime&weapon1=3730&weapon2=3460&weapon3=4008

As you can clearly see, Vanguard AP is used significantly more, then comes the Prowler, then comes the Magrider.

This is why the Magrider FPC has the lowest number of total kills; it is used least.

The Prowler AP has the highest total kills because, even though Vanguard AP is used more, the Prowler's KPH is far higher.

If you want to compare killing potential you need to link KPH and VKPH, both of which are found on the chart here:

http://ps2oraclestats.com/monthlystats/

Go to the MBT primary weapons category.
    • Up x 2
  14. Marsali

15. Jake the Dog

You are clearly not going to be swayed even when talked to tank experts that know more about the subject than you, so good day sir and wallow in your own misery.
  16. maxkeiser

Magrider is absolutely FINE as it is. LEAVE IT ALONE.

It has strengths and weaknesses. More importantly it is such wonderful fun to drive - probably one of the best vehicles in any game ever.

I've had more fun with the magrider than I can write about.
  17. ATRA_Wampa-One

The only issue I have with the Magrider is that it's skill floor is incredibly high while it's skill ceiling is about equal to both the Prowler and Vanguard, with most of that skill coming from map knowledge and how to exploit terrain to it's advantage, and the drop of it's main gun.

Easy fix would be to lessen the drop on it's main gun and see if that lowers the skill floor, but if it doesn't then I really don't know how to modify the Magrider to make it more user friendly at lower skill/experience levels.
  18. Jake the Dog

Cant do that though due to high damage of the main gun and how it would be too easy to hit targets with 0 drop, I wreck infantry and tanks with the saron at 200m give me a main gun like that and the NC/TR won't stand a chance.
  19. Mxiter

20. vanu123

Proceed to wallow.