[Idea] More Warpgate Immersion

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NaySayer, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Movoza

I love these idea's! They can add such a feeling to the game. All the planning rooms, prop tanks/aircraft, sleeping quarters (are those needed for people who just respawn? Psychology wise yes, but biologically?) and such are great additions to make the game feel more alive. The propoganda and possibly some music and announcements are nice additions too. Respawning in the control room, where the "normal terminals are also available, but you will see some overview's of the map, and one or two screens zoomed in on some hectic battles that need reinforcements? Yes please! (Also, will the guy with the "MLG" liberator move it to a Liberator parking designated area? It is currently double parked)

I have to make a sidenote about the infantry and the screens. A lot of this can and should be done clientside. Just put a few flags for the NPC units, have a daily routine or standard actions and some extraordinary situations. A more panicked/active units during alerts for example. Everyone will see different activities at the same time, but they don't need to see the same activities anyway. If you persist in having more or less the same activities for AI, you can script in timers that are handled clientside, so after X time after an alert, units will be at place Y or something. Eventually, they just need to liven up the place.
    The advantage of clientside is that it is computer dependent, and not server dependent. This gives no or practically no extra traffic for the server. Also, the units can be dropped for performance, either by the settings menu, or during the game as your own computer arrives at a bottleneck. I do love one idea I saw of galaxies flying in towards the 2 regions behind the WG for drop off and return of soldiers.

Screens are incredibly interesting. You can let them broadcast many messages (again, clientside), that liven up the game. I've noticed that there are a lot of consoles throughout the game, and they can get you to focus more on the metagame. Like I said, if you spawn in the warpgate in a busy control room, with an overview of the world your computer already has in the map screen and a few battles that need reinforcements outlined, you will feel much more obliged to play the game instead of statpadding. These screens can also be used for a little more information, like some people who are able to put in a basic strategy to show the plan (with the commander helmet for example, or just platoon leaders with over 2 full squads)
    Screens outside the warpgate can also show alerts and their progress, amount of people in the area, who is first on that broken leader-boards, the best outfit or platoon at the moment and all those kind of things. Less prominent screens can show you the progress of some of your weapons, descriptions and such, to make you feel more a connection with the environment beyond the fights. All this information is already send to your computer anyway, so you can just incorporate it without extra traffic or problems with performance as far as I know.
    Some screens could also give metagame statistics, but should focus on weapons that are used less than others. People tend to use weapons that are used more often by others, so if you say the Orion is most used and gets most kills on Vanu, you will get more and more users. We don't wan't a stale game, so get the middle class or the once used rarely more attention. This information isn't normally send to the computers, so it would add to the traffic.

Eventually I will only say yes to this idea. We need more life into the environment.
    • Up x 1
  2. Corezer

Immersion... It's gonna end up being one of those words people say to be funny, like space...
  3. RykerStruvian

Just put sanctuaries in the game. You get to keep warpgates as they are and still get to give each faction a single place where they can gather, set up everything they need without being harassed (by both the enemy and friendlies flying gals). It would even set up the framework for meta-game considering we could then use the idea of 'home continents' and sanctuary lattice again. Obviously, you'd get all of this plus each sanctuary could be fit to match the flavor of the faction.
  4. Lord_Avatar

5. patrykK1028

**** this guy has almost as many likes under 1 post as me under 891
  6. NaySayer

7. Selrahc4040

I'd be annoyed because of necromancy, but this is a legitimately awesome idea.
  8. Fry_Poncho

I want this so badly!
    For Vanu- "I use to be unenlightened like you were, until Vanu showed me the path."
    For TR- "I love the smell of Prowlers in the mornin'. Smells like tradition.
    For NC- "Let SCREEdom ring!"/ "Live SCREE or die hard."

This sort of stuff would lighten up the game and make it more interesting.

I r8 8/8 m8!
    • Up x 1
  9. RadarX

As a reminder please refrain from bumping old threads. Closing this one up!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.