Does battle rifles have enough damage?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Pikachu, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Erendil

The differences between Battle Rifles and Semi-Auto Scout rifles are already pretty minimal:

• Max damage: 250 @ 333 RPM = 1388 DPS on BRs, and 334 @ 255 RPM = 1420 DPS on SAScRs.
    • Min damage: 225 @ 333RPM = 1249 DPS on BRs, and 280 @ 255 RPM = 1190 DPS on SAScRs.
    • Their TTK is within ~.05s at almost all ranges
    • BRs take only 1 more shot to kill any soft target at any range, except for HA's w/ Overshield (which are 2 more shots) and headshots <8m or vs infils (which are the same for both weapons)
    • Their FSM, hipfire CoF, and ADS CoF are identical
    • Their Muzzle Velocities are only 30m/s apart, in favor of BRs
    Their only major difference is their vertical recoil per shot and over time, which in both cases is less on Battle Rifles. Really, if you made BRs any closer to the Vandal than they are now, they'd be almost the same weapon. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. :p

I'd love to have the Vandal's .75x ADS move multiplier on my Eidolon, though. :cool:
    • Up x 1
  2. Ttariel

Good point
    Ok new idea then, give us the Vandal haha
  3. MajiinBuu

Eidolon take 3 headshots to kill a target(unless the VR is lying to me. I have the Battle Rifle, but I haven't actually used it in combat in awhile) and the Nyx takes 2 headshots to kill.
  4. Erendil

Yep. Unless the target is within 8m of you or is an infil, in which case the Eidolon kills in 2 headshots as well. :cool:
  5. Asymmetrical

Battle rifle weak? Surely you jest! Considering you only have to shoot someone half a dozen times generally to bring them down with a BR...
  6. Skooma Lord

I would like to see the Battle Rifles have a burst fire mode. To balance the gun out when burst firing the R.O.F. goes up but the damage is lowered. That would make the Battle Rifles more unique to me.

The only problem is that the T.R.'s T.R.A.P. M1 "sniper rifle" is already kind of like that.
  7. Sagabyte

I really want a burst battle rifle now...
    • Up x 1
  8. TheBloodEagle

And that's different from what? This was a really lame counter-point because half a dozen is 6 shots. Pretty much anything can kill in 6 shots or less ("bring them down"). You really can't give some critical feedback with some really lousy generalized "opinion" like that. Sheesh... This is on par with telling us the VR experience is different from the actual combat experience with the weapon, no shizz.
  9. Brainkrieg

People who feel the battle rifles are too weak just dont use them correctly. I have auraxiumed the Eidolon. It wasnt difficult, and it was fun.
    • Up x 1
  10. FishMcCool

The Eidolon is the king of battle rifles though. A rare case where no bullet drop actually matters.
  11. Deschain

The Eidolon as no drop, try the warden then come back.
  12. Erendil

Bullet drop is no longer an issue w/ the Warden/AMR-66 ever since they boosted their muzzle velocity to 600m/s (only 570m/s for the Eidolon FWIW).

Aim for the top of your target's head and you'll get a headshot out to about 150m. Add in HV ammo and the distance increases to about 175m. Anything past that is beyond the Battle Rifle's effective range for many players, but if you can hit targets that far away just aim for the Dorito and again, headshot.

Bullet drop is a non-factor on Battle Rifles for anyone with an ounce of skill.
  13. reydelchicken

What the BR needs is a better damage drop off curve, to match it's intended range. Same with the scout rifles.

Instead of 250@8m - 225@75m+, something like 250@15m - 225@100m+ would much better suit the intended range of use of the BR.
    Another thing they really need is .75x ADS movement speed.

Scout rifles should be 334@15m - 280@80m+ instead of 334@15m - 280@65m+ we have currently.
  14. Gausser 21

It's good enough. Use at midrange. Look like a badass. And makes me fell militaristic since battle rifles are real.
  15. Dualice

The thread! It's... ALIVE!
    • Up x 2
  16. Spankay

I really try to like my AMR as well, but it's just so... meh.
    They either have to buff the dmg drop off or get rid of the right pull from the recoil.
    It doesn't need both, just 1 of those would make BRs feel much more fun.
    It would be great if they could just change the recoil pattern to something more vertical and less horizontal.
  17. HappyStuffin

I'm in the buff the BR camp. I find the damage so low on it I stopped using it.

Started using a shotgun/slug combo instead. Wow that kicks *** from med to close range. It's practically my full time gun now and BR replacement.
  18. Stromberg

Scout Rifles have a terrible COF-Bloom, if you think you can spam a Vandal with 255 RPM you're very wrong. BR-Bloom is much lower, so is the recoil and the magazine is bigger. You can actually spam them pretty well. Now, if you increased the BR damage from 250 to 334 they would become much better Scout Rifles, ironically, without Infiltrators having access to them.

yeah, BRs suck, but there's no room to increase their damage without making them plain better than Scout Rifles.
  19. Erendil

Most people can't spam BRs near their max ROF any better due to the harsh recoil angle - which is about twice that of the Vandal (25/25, vs the Vandal's 10/13). Most have to let the recoil settle after every shot in order to hit anything at all. Otherwise the recoil angle throws off their ability to stay on target. IME both are about equally-spammable relative to their max ROF.

I dunno.... 334 damage might be a little much, but I think you can still give BRs a useful damage buff without going all the way to that level.

I personally am a fan of 313. It doesn't sound like much less than 334 but there are a couple of key differences.

313 damage would reduce the BR's STK by 1 against Nanoweave 5 out to 75m and by 1-2 shots against the HA Overshield. This by itself would fix the main beef I have with BRs damage-wise.

It would also push out the BRs 2-headshot kill range to ~50m, thus rewarding precision fire and giving BR users a little more survivability at shorter ranges where they're currently so vulnerable.

However, unlike 334, with 313 the BR's STK against non-Nano, non-Overshield targets would remain the same - except Infils, where the STK would drop from 4 to 3. But infils would still be pretty good soft counters to BR users because cloak trumps all other class abilities at medium/long range (where BRs are used most).

In addition, Semi-auto Scout rifles will still get to keep their STK advantage in most cases, and would retain their 2-headshot-kill-at-all-ranges advantage over BRs as well.
  20. St NickelStew

I have always appreciated your posts (and videos) about Battle Rifles. After playing PS4 beta I decided to build PC so I could play PS2 there. Fired it up a week ago. Played TR on Emerald on Sunday, and ... and ... you killed me! My first death to someone I recognized from the forums. :)

I have BR on both my VS and TR characters. That plus AV MANA in an open field fight is the most fun I have had in PS2 so far. Hopefully SOE will continue to give them a little love.