Some VS Weapons have infinite ammo?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dragonold103, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Ballto21

Holy **** im in the top 200 phaseshift users then.

Where did you get this number if true?
  2. Chewy102

The power of the heat system is the lack of downtime.

Any other weapon has forced downtime. Fire 1 round or 100, you have to reload to get them back. This means after every fight you will have downtime where you gotta reload to be ready for the next fight or you run the ever growing risk of running out of a ammo mid fight. Run out of ammo from not reloading or happen to have someone charge in while you reload, you're boned. Downtime management is a massive part of being a skilled player and wining fights.

Think of this like pump action shotguns to semi-auto. PA has smaller mags but less downtime from being able to reload one shell at a time. SA has bigger mags but longer downtime from reloading always being the full mag plus or minus the shell in the chamber. Both are good but the less downtime you have the more you can possibly do.

Heat based weapons have even less downtime to the point of zero. That is why I don't like only one faction having them and see it as to strong. Might as well not have the R key if you are good enough to not overheat the weapon. There is no forced downtime at all but for when the player makes a mistake. No worry of moments of being caught with your pants down reloading your weapon till you choose to overheat it when everything else has those moments in spades. THAT is power. It lets you take control of fights from taking away one of the biggest limits all other players have, forced downtime.

Even swapping to your pistol has downtime from the pistol swap itself taking time. But doing that adds more downtime from needing to reload the pistol, swapping back to the main weapon, and then reloading it.

Heat weapons bypass most if not all downtime. That is why I find them to strong. Maybe not OP but still very strong, strong enough to merit some heavy downsides to them.
    • Up x 2
  3. Xasapis

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item_leaderboard.php?query=7337&outfit=*&server=*&nolimit=1

Raiste at spot 148 is the last guy with over 1000 kills with Phaseshift.

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item_leaderboard.php?query=26004&outfit=*&server=*&nolimit=1

Syndwynder at spot 1373 is the last guy with over 1000 kills with Parallax.

It seems that my memory deceived me and I was thinking of another gun with those 6000 kills.
  4. Xasapis

I'd give you heat mechanism for 20% extra bullets on the magazine of all my guns.

Your argument starts from a wrong base. You assume that both heat and non heat weapons have the exact same magazine, which is not true. In reality, you run out of bullets with heat weapons a lot faster and a lot sooner. Which is why certain heat weapons are almost incapable of body shot killing heavies (Eclipse, Darkstar).

If you had any real actual gameplay experience with heat mechanic weapons, you'd realise that you're getting locked into forced reload constantly.

The downtime on heat weapons is only smaller IF, (and that's a big assumption), you can pace the combat. Everyday derping and running around solo wolfing that is probably true. Serious outfit gameplay and getting pressed by enemies and it is most certainly not.
    • Up x 3
  5. Ballto21

aw, i cant find myself on there. after all the work i did camping hossin trees and terminals a website i only heard of 10 minutes ago doesnt include me
  6. Xasapis

Their database does not include the whole playerbase, but a big portion and most of the organised outfits. Here are the limitations as specificed by the developers. Also this site is pretty old, probably older than a year by now and one of the oldest API stats site regarding PS2. Oracle is much more recent, for comparison.

Due to the massive amount of data this game offers you may see that some information is partial or missing completely. Before you add something manually or post a bug report, view the following rules for data to be added:

Outfits

• Must have at least 3 active and complete members (21 days).
    • The leader must be a valid character (this is a technical limitation with SOE's API).
    • The outfit leader must have set an outfit alias (4-digit code representing the outfit).
    Players

• The player must be at least level 10 or above or the API may not register their profile.
    • The player must have at least 1 weapon with 50 kills or more.
    • They must be in an outfit or they will not be discovered automatically (once they are found, they will update when viewed).
    • They must have all of their primary stats (such as kills, deaths, etc) shown on the API. Players who are banned or inactive for long periods may get this corruption over time.
  7. Ballto21

The heat weapons we have already have downsides to them that almost make them exactly the same as their non heat counterparts with the exception of the phaseshift.

I say this largely in part to the downtime of it recharging or cooling off or whatever.

If you have fired more than 25-35 rounds in the battlegander, youll have almost the exact same 'reloading' time as if you just ate the short reload, and remember at this point you have equal to or less than the ammo in a carbine or T1 SMG.

To make full use out of the heat mechanic you have to assume that someone is getting more kills than they would than just using non heat weapons with ammo belts in one life. Assuming only bodyshots, all shots are hitting, and you never miss one, never shoot someone with NMG, and dont overfire on someone you already killed, with the standard orion using ammo belts you can get a maximum of 50 kills using only bodyshots. Assuming only headshots, thats 87 possible kills. I would love to meet someone who when he plays heavy has a KDR of 50 or 87 or can get such killstreaks reliably.

It works on the phaseshift, since you can only get 60 kills maximum with the bolt action snipers, and snipers usually would get 30 on average accounting for misses and bodyshots, or you never have to leave a good position until youre killed.
  8. Prudentia

Heat weapons are faster to reload than to cooldown. always, simply because the cooldown timer surges ahead of the reload time after less than 10 bullets.
  9. Mythologicus

This seems a minimally small advantage, since classes except for HA get heat weapons which overheat at the drop of a hat. Unless you're a really good shot, you're just going to be forced into reloading sooner.

It is situational, absolutely. But situational does not put it even close to 'unfair', which was the result of someone glancing at some weapon stats and going "huh", then jumping to a conclusion. It also doesn't help that the heat mechanics were given to a selection of weapons, almost all of which are the worst in the game.
  10. Goretzu

11. Ballto21

The beetlejuice is just used more often. I see very few people using GODSAWs or butchers, since theyre not at all different than a normal carv or saw

or the saw s/carv s because attachments

At least, thats the reason im given by people ive asked
  12. Lilium Atratum

I play VS and I use the Betelgeuse in certain situations. The benefits I see are:
    If I plan to actualy lonewolf, or sit in an ambush alone, raining fire at unsuspecting enemies (e.g. some further away on a hill)
    But also in all situations - when I burst fire and never empty a magazine - it allows me to use the gun without reloading ever. It allows me to jump back into the fight with full mag faster, without the lengthy and dangereous reload.
  13. Liewec123

i dont think not running out of ammo is the main strength of the heat weapons, i think the main strength is that if you can control your bursts you never need to get caught reloading, for phaseshift this means never having to exit scope
  14. day ofm one

Thank you for being extremely rude.
    I think I am still allowed to express my opinion (and the comments of people actually using the heat weapons).

I will spare the forum mods to delete this comment for profanity, but be notified that I'd be tempted to give you a less friendly answer.
  15. nehylen

I've never reloaded on any weapon as frequently as i did than with my few hundred kills with the Darkstar. You spend your time reloading with it because the cooldown time is long, the short reload time is...well, short, and you don't want to get caught with your pants down (25 mag and long reload, easily reached) at all.
  16. Liewec123

ah, i was thinking more about betelgeuse ;) there are vids of people mowing down enemy after enemy for 5 minutes and never reloading, i do hear darkstar is pretty bad though
  17. Ballto21

For the Eclipse and darkstar, absolutely wrong based on literally everyvideo i have seen with people using it and the several testimonies in this thread.

With the backscratcher, ehh kind of.

Exactly on point with the phase shift, one of the many reasons i love it.

Although that makes central HUD a must when using it to remember when cloak runs out/recharges. A giant blue bar that doesnt block the scope is easier to see than the small circle in the bottom with your peripherals.

And i dont mean the literally as figuratively part. I never see a video without the darkstar/eclipse not being sent to force reload or being reloaded anyway after every kill.
  18. Nikushimi

But you are one, your account creation date is a dead give away right there. Considering its barely a month old, odds are you are below BR25.
  19. Ballto21

assuming these are his
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428297992011184209
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428297992012205553
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428297992012181585

Another NC main with little to no experience with any other faction complaining about the other factions having something that maybe theoretically kind of looks decent on paper but in practice its a virtual non issue 70% of the time.

No surprise honestly.
  20. Ballto21

His argument reminds me of every political debate that involves a far left wing american.

"Republican party is wrong and bad!"
    "Why?"
    "Because they are republicans!"

come to think of it a far right wing american argument too
    "Liberals are bad!"
    "Why?"
    "Because, uh, JESUS! USA! USA! USA! USA!"