Money

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WookLordz, Feb 13, 2015.

1. WookLordz

If you love this game, then if there was ever a time to put your money where your mouth is, I suppose it's now.
    • Up x 1
  2. TheMish

Your money and my money at some point was in a hooker's pants, ain't no way I'm putting that in my mouth.
    • Up x 6
  3. Rentago

uh, no.

if anything we should simply show that the lack of developer incompetence would not be accepted and paid for.

Look at what 2 years of throwing money has done? Release lots of garbage cosmetics that not only spread feces on the face of planetside but the kind of game this is suppose to be. The amount of dumb camo, hood ornaments, hockeymasks, clown makeup.

I know people want to wear a dress and have a minecraft head and have a gun that is a wand that shoots rainbows, I think that damages the whole look of the game being 3 armies fighting a war on an alien planet.

I wish I had an option to turn off player cosmetics so the game wouldn't have such a hard time rendering all this bloated garbage and simply look good like it was in the beginning instead of this TF2 army of clowns game that is currently focused on pumping out terrible cosmetics and not making any GOOD ADDITIONS TO THE GAME AND ITS LACK OF REAL CONTENT.
    • Up x 4
  4. JudgeNu

I bought me a camo 2 days ago.
    I am also a subscriber (before All Access - 15$/mos)
    Because I am a Gamer.
    • Up x 1
  5. WookLordz

Sorry, but cosmetics are a great way to earn money without resorting to pay to win scenarios.
    • Up x 3
  6. Xasapis

I have about 70 camos, 15 different helmets, multiple cosmetics for all my vehicles. I was also a subscriber and boosted for the entire time the game was live. I've cancelled that subscription two days ago.

Because I'm a gamer too.

The thing is, I supported the game when I felt there was something to support. For that to continue, I want to see more tangible actions that the game will continue to see development. Wishful thinking just won't do.
    • Up x 2
  7. Alchemist44

No, I aint paying for something that barely functions.
    • Up x 2
  8. lukenukeum

Sorry, but can't you realize its apathetic people like you who are a part of the problem?

Rentago said it right, the clown cosmetics in this game have rendered it into more of a joke than it already is. But the concept of the game is still so great, with nothing else like it, it keeps me coming back.
  9. Elsewhere

I look at paying money in Planetside this way..

If I buy a new title through steam/Amazon, I buy it for £15-20 and play it for X hours. If I enjoy it after playing it for 100 hours, I look back and say that it was good value for money.

With PS2, I played the game first, enjoyed the 500+ (and counting) hours gameplay out of it, so have decided to put £50-100 into it over the course of the last 2 years.
    No different IMO.

That said, making more alts than I can remember, most of my money has gone on buying NS weapons and things like Skyguard, Engineer AV turrets and such with SC so I don't have to grind 1000 Certs on every single alt.

Only camo I ever paid for was a by-product of getting the NS7 in the fresh-meat pack.
  10. Maelthra

So, please enlighten us about an effective way to monetize a F2P game without cosmetics. I'm sure DBG would love to know.
    • Up x 1
  11. breeje

i stopped paying for my subscription when SOE became daybreak
    as soon as i know what the intentions are of daybreak with PS2 i will decide if i become an member again
  12. Auzor

-They could have made "hossin" an expansion; say any character can play on it for 1 month for free, then you need to pay a "unlock continent" fee.
    - Likewise: make a new, better continent. Bigger bases, infantry tunnels under bases, bases unshellable (no hillside next to them)..
    This continent is the starting point for extra "depth", with increased distance between bases, a reason for attacking territory, I would hope some different game modes besides capping control points etc. Each char gets 1 month free "trial" access, then the extra continent is unlocked for a one-time 15-20$ fee. (how much I'd be willing to pay depends on the continent, whether PS2 finally gets a mouseyaw option, and the stability; the "PS2 experience")

-Again, some people have proposed missions like "fighting on board a starship": create the mission, 2 squads each side, fighting for control. This is seperate from the rest of fighting, "mission access" is a one-time 5$ unlock.
    This would mean something like Unreal Tournament Gamemodes, or Battlefield game modes become options. Without intervening in the ground game. Now, "Capture the Flag" sounds pretty stupid.. How about "Capture the Enemy schematics"?
    Kill the enemy commander (-> max suit ?)
    Such missions can also take place inside otherwise inaccesible underground bases (under the warpgate? Access by warpgating the enemy?? )

-PS2 can have cosmetics (Camo, some of the vehicle stuff, the horns for vehicles,..).
    Should there be things like the "heartpiercer", heart-leaving crossbow? Hockey Facemasks? Etc.
    It doesn't fit the "theme" of "total planet-wide war until one faction achieves victory".

-There's the focus on being F2P.
    But, F2P comes with consequences, such as the pink camo. Pink camo is distastefull, and I'd rather the game not have it. It also means that buying a gun is relatively expensive; 7$ base for a gun. Buy a few guns, and you could have bought an entire game. Switch factions and.. oh.. all non-NS stuff isn't available.
    < - >
    5$ monthly fee for access, gives you 5$ worth (500) of Station Cash too;
    Cheaper prices inside the store. Say, 500 SC is 2 ES-weapons, or 1 ES-voicepack. SC can also buy things like jetpack level unlocks, nanoweave levels,..)
    60$ for access and some unlocks/year, vs at least double the subscription cost for most subscription-MMO's, the continuous "DLC" for games like battlefield,..

PS2 at the moment doesn't have a huge population. (understatement of the year).
    Max numbers of players online at any point of the day was about 8000 according to another thread.
    Let's presume there are 10x as many interested players.
    If we go the "unlock new continent for 15$' route,
    and half the players buy it, DBG earns 15*40.000= 600.000$.
    Add to that PS4 purchases. Also, indirect "excitement": players staying longer because of the extra content. and perhaps spending on other stuff)
    Would you stay longer for a new pink-purple camo?
  13. eldarfalcongravtank

nobody likes the crap SOE/DBG has gone through lately with all the layoffs and restructuring. but i gotta say i invested more than enough money in this game and it's time they give us some updates as well as much needed content
    • Up x 1
  14. Meeka

In the last two years, across membership and weapons and cosmetics I've probably tossed somewhere near $2,000 at Planetside... I tend to support the games I enjoy. :D
    • Up x 2
  15. Killuminati C

According to the Official Announcement yesterday it sounds like the only thing in the immediate future is optimization and bug fixes with more to follow. If development does in fact continue and it's not just Daybreak blowing smoke what with the mass departure/layoffs I figure it's going to be awhile before we see any substantial new content.

I don't know how it's going to play out but I'm still supporting the game because I'm still enjoying myself, I guess I'll stop when that fact changes.
  16. TheRunDown

Pfff, you working for DBG or something?

I ain't putting any more money in to this game until some real development happens, and I mean Content that isn't for the Shop.
    The Player Studio creators have PS4 Purchases to look forward to, but I'm not interested in Cosmetic appeal.

We're done letting SoE or even DBG milk us, it's time for them to put their monies worth in to this game, seeing as they brought this game off SoE well after it's reached it maximum milking potential.. If DBG wants the PC Version to bring an income, they'll have to do better than cosmetics and petty rewards for subscribing and now we'll reward them for hard work.

SoE was so desperate to make more money of PS2, they removed the SC Reward, and made you login and climb it, knowing there will be a number of people who will forget to claim it, or wont be able to for what ever reason, they even changed the drop rate for Implants and Charges in hopes to force players to buy those from the Store, but it DOESN'T EFFECT VETERAN PLAYERS! It has only punished the new players, due their they lack of ability to farm as well as the seasoned players.
    Not only they, to top it off, they did the most disgusting thing to weapons. They added Pay to unlock attachments, what's the point of playing when you can buy your progression? It's the whole point of playing. This game slipped off the Pay2Win line a long time ago, and is hanging from a steep cliff by a thread of hair.

We spend a ridiculous amount of money on PlanetSide 2 in it's first year.. Where did that all go?
    Nothing happened with PlanetSide 2, so they must of spend our money on EverQuest Next and Landmark which isn't a big thing for most of us, or even care for EQ products.. We paid in to PS2 for PS2 Content..

If DBG actually dose anything with this game, I'll print off all the negative things I've ever said about this game on the forum and eat it.
    It's very doubtful that DBG will fix the Store, the number of SC schemes added to the game, and at some point actually get around to adding the PlanetSide meta we've been waiting for, for the last "2 Years".

If I had money, I'd bet it all on DBG doing nothing and just running this game for the next 10 years as it is.. and not a care in the world for the horrid imbalances or toxicity of the game because of said imbalances.. and just let the money slowly trickle in. It will pay for the servers and the company with it's apparently zero Developer team after the flush of lay-offs.. Out with the old and in with the? Ohh wait..
  17. DrPapaPenguin

I've already put more than an AAA game costs into PS2, I don't see myself putting in more, not until I'm certain that the game is not on its hind legs and shutting down soon.
  18. Halo572

It is the vicious circle that I have always pointed at - people won't pay for a broken title yet will continue to play for free and a broken title with no revenue will not be fixed.

They have been grinding the broken axle for years, focussing on poxy things like weapon balances and the Valkyrie when they should have been fixing the fundamentals.

The implants were a pointless cash grab to generate revenue that would have tailed off very quickly when how pointless and irrelevant they were to the main stream became obvious.

The axle is now ground to faeces.

And map packs have and always will be a bad idea, they fragment the player base no matter how large it is.

Those that have them will be a small minority and those that don't used to get kicked when there was a rotation at the end of the round. 64/64 turned into 10/12 and it cleared the server, even sometimes with the crap Intel advert free map people hadn't downloaded.

Maybe they need to do a licensing deal to get funding but fill the maps with advertising hoardings?

And Special Forces servers struggled to be filled ever.

I can't see the revenue that is needed being able to be raised from such a jaded community. 22 thousand people left from peak and won't be coming back, F2P players won't pay and never will and even the hardcore - above, but not the foaming hardcore - have cancelled their subs and won't be paying out any more.

WookLordz is right, pay up now or this title has a zombie future, but pay up now and you'll be lucky to see any new content for 6-12 months, if then.

And for £6 you can Batman Origins with all DLC on sale. WTF, OMFG, LOL, ROFL!
  19. Liewec123

i'd imagine i'm in the top 10% of people spending money on this game, when i've been playing i've been subscribed,
    and had a heroic booster running permanently, bought sooo many camos, armours, helmets and vehicle mods.
    i even bought the nvidia bundle for the circuitboard camo

there was a rough patch when SoE screwed us over with the first year anni bundle bait n switch
    ( i didn't give Sony a penny after that)
    but with the buyout my subscription and booster are back up and i eagerly await Nova's next move :)
  20. Rentago

but we can have GOOD cosmetics, look at nosgoth and how the alternate skins actually look cool but not ridiculous, or well lets not really limit it to one game, look at all the different free to play games out there! A lot do the cash shop justice like vindictus and more, they have cosmetics that don't **** on the theme of the game, we see the concept art of cool designs and for some reason we get HOCKEY MASKS? HOOD ORNAMENTS? It is a joke, you can't play dumb that they've chosen the laziest method of pumping out garbage when they previously said, "We need to make this game more efficient and thus we need to remove barrels and other objects." and for what? To replace barrels with lots of clutter on the cash shop? If they complained the game has a lack of space, but turn around to pump out all the garbage they've chosen its contradictory, they are just trying real hard to squeeze money out of you without putting effort into it.

Infact, look at the guns, look at how they just simply flooded each faction with guns, they could have made 4 guns all meaningful, but no we have hundreds of guns and only a handful matter across each faction. This isn't good game design, this is just pumping out garbage.