Why wouldn't they just reskin PS1 with modern graphics?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Badname3073, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Badname3073

Beats me :eek:
    • Up x 2
  2. Rockit

Because its easier to hide microtransactions on mommies credit card than monthly subscription charges. This is what makes free to play thrive and retooling ps1 for f2p would be nigh impossible.
  3. Shockwave44

Huh? You can't buy anything for less than $5.
  4. Xind

I'm not sure the current era of gamers would like PS1, also.
    • Up x 2
  5. _itg

I haven't played PS1, but I've watched as many videos as I can find, and it really looks to me like all the people praising it are blocking out a *lot* of crap when they fondly remember it. Absurd amounts of downtime, corner camping in 3rd person, random, unavoidable death by orbital strike, and these are from the things people thought were exciting enough to record. For a few hardcore veterans, it may be worth it to put up with terrible, dated mechanics for the sake of the strategic aspects of the game, but it would never fly, commercially.
    • Up x 1
  6. Maelthra

Let's be honest here, Planetside 1's gunplay sucks compared to Planetside 2. PS1 still does a lot of things better than PS2, but gunplay isn't one of them. That at least would have to be redone, so it wouldn't simply be a reskin.
    • Up x 1
  7. KnightCole

Give it PLanetside 2 gun handling and it woulda been ok. BFRs, Tanks, character development, it had alot to it, but the gun handling is waht drove me absolutely crazy in that game....fire 50 rounds into a guy and nothing happens...burst fire, get close, shotgun at point blank, JH to the face, MAX to the face, hell, even a Dragon I couldnt kill people...itwas like wtf!?
  8. Xind

Sounds like hit detection issues. The only thing they ported from PS1 directly into PS2. At least the shotgun bug didn't make it, too. >_<
    But yeah, PS1 had horrendous latency/FPS/netcode issues.
  9. IronMole

They should have just used the continents/meta game from Planetside and then improved on it. They should have focused on the endgame.
  10. Hicksimus

When they said PS2 was coming I thought:
    This is awesome, we can have a modern interface with modern graphics and the added depth that hardware constraints prevented in 2003.

What we got was an incomplete MMO version of BF3 with:
    Worse networking
    Worse graphics(minus the insane bloom that BF3 had, glad we didn't get it)
    Worse performance due to an outdated game engine
    Worse vehicle balance(what a bipolar experience vehicles have been!)
    Sound quality so poor it's not even from the same decade
    Incoherent balance changes
    A time to kill that favors charging around corners like rambo to exploit the time it takes you to appear on the other person's screen

I just wanted a modernized Planetside experience, not an MMO BF3 experience. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that and I do think it would have been much more successful.
    • Up x 1
  11. Rockit

Well I didn't say things are priced properly and even Smed said they screwed up the games economy from the beginning. $3-$5 price range would be more inline with players expectaions I think. I was just talking about business model in general not being suited for
    pS1 without some major work.
  12. Hosp

While not a total explanation, it certainly is a part of it. To many kids nowadays want instant gratification gaming. Just like they want instant gratification educations and jobs. Really just a growing sign of a societal trend. But this could go off topic far to easily, so I'll leave it at that.
    • Up x 1
  13. G.O.A.T

You guys do know that was the original plan, right? It was gonna be called Planetside Next, it was rumored back in 2010/2011, hell maybe even before that.

The original plan was gonna be make Planetside Next into a free 2 play game and upgrade the graphics somewhat, I believe but they decided that Planetside had way more potential so decided to make a real game.

Planetside 2>Planetside...The gameplay is 100% funner, the combat is that much better...Sure PS1 had better metagame/Content but I was hoping PS2 will get better content/metagame thru time, unfortunately that may never happened now because everybody seems to be quitting.
  14. Halo572

I was always under the impression that everything was a place holder. Worse anything was never about the finished feature it was just waiting development.

As with the 'mission' system that just swaps to attack/defend station based on if you are more than 1m closer or further away. Real sophisticated.

If you had 5 years development time maybe that would have proven to be true, but with The Grim Reaper knocking on the door 2 1/2 years later and most of the developers gone in the last 24 hours place holders is what they will probably always be.

Lessons to be learned - don't do beta releases and then take years to work on them and maybe instead of pointless balancing and constant new weapons introductions work on the core of the game and get that right to build and retain the player base.

As for the 'reskin', developers don't take a successful title and build on it for some reason they want to reimagineer it. They abandon the solid proven game play and mechanics and 'make them even better'.

My FUBAR is BF2 to BF3, BF3 could have been the successor to one of the best online FPS in gaming history and instead they churned out puerile console crap reimagined to be bad. Metro - nuff said.
    • Up x 2
  15. Taemien

I don't know what you all are going on about the game being a placeholder or waiting development. As far as I knew, this game was complete when it was in Closed Beta for the most part. Back then we didn't have Empire flavored sniper rifles (like railjack) or rocket launchers (like striker), any SMGs, only 2 types of shotguns (maybe 1), Valk and Harasser weren't in, only 3 continents, and many other weapons weren't in the game (like AV mana).

Everything added after to me was just bonus. Sure the resource system and mission system revamps aren't finished, but they didn't really need to be added in the first place. But to say the game isn't finished is ridiculous. It was a finished game when it released.

But as far as the original topic is concerned. No it wouldn't work. PS1 is a great example as of why. Graphics don't sell. That's why tablet, iOS, and Android games do so well. Gameplay that people like sells. PS1 isn't doing well. PS1 is on its death bed. No matter how rose tinted your goggles are, that game SUCKS. It didn't age well. Its dying, its not successful. It only did well because it was the only game of its time like itself.

Take a look at Steam. There is far more players playing Counter Strike, then there is PS1. I'd almost wager there is more people playing Super Mario Bros 3 right now on emulators and old dusty NES's than there is in PS1. Those are games that get graphic updates and releases. Not games only a few dozen people would play.

Because lets be honest with ourselves. Anyone who'd be playing PS1 already are. Are you? If you're not, then you just proved my point. Even you wouldn't play it.
  16. Crator

Mostly due to the fact that PS1 code wasn't easy to deal with (that's what I think). They were initially going to redo all the graphics for PS1 but then decided to create PS:Next....
  17. Calisai

^^ So this here is why PS2 wasn't just a reskinned PS1. Players changed. Sure, they are aiming for the same demographic of players... but 16-25 yr-old males in 2003 were different than 16-25 yr-old males are in 2015. They are Literally different people. Are used to different industry standards... have completely different experiences growing up with games.

When I started playing PS1... I couldn't get my friends to join planetside because it was subscription-based. Think about that... they were used to paying $50 and never having to spend another dime (until expansion pack comes out)..... 6-7 yrs Later? Subscriptions are commonplace and completely normal... nobody batted an eye about paying monthly for WoW, SWG, etc. 4-5 yrs later? Now everyone is used to playing these god-awful Free-to-Play (which is anything but...) games on their smartphones and thus the trend of the F2P PC game was chosen.

The same can be said for short-TTK vs long-TTK, vehicle play, 15min cap times, Single character customization or class-base skills, Custom inventory or strict class-based inventory, etc, etc, etc.

All those wonderful features everyone (who is now 10 yrs older) remembers with rose-tinted glasses... newer gamers either don't like them, or haven't experienced them. They live in a different world. The demographic of a MMOFPS still stays the same though... they were attempting to grab the same 16-25 yr olds...
  18. KnightCole

W/E it had....it was absolutely the worst damn shooter I had played to date.....up until I made the mistake of playing warrock for a few days...some stupid *** F2P shooter.....omg....the horror....