So long Higby.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ribero, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Ribero

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2vqcge/thank_you_to_the_planetside_2_community/

Reddit link^, but for those who can't view:

Hey guys -
    Working on Planetside 2 has been the absolute highlight of my career, but after 4 years working on the game, it's time for a change. Today was my last day on the Planetside 2 team and at Daybreak games. This is a move I've been considering for a while now, and the reorganization provided the right opportunity for me to exit.
    Planetside 2 is in great hands, with terrific people who honestly care about the game and the players. I can't stress this enough, the folks working on every aspect of the game, developers, marketing, community are talented, hard working people who care more than you can imagine - I'm fully confident they're going to do an amazing job on the next leg of the journey.
    Finally, I wanted to thank all of you in the Planetside 2 community with whom I've shared the last few years, whether in stream chat, tweets, pms or comments you guys have motivated and inspired me all along. You are an amazing community that I'm looking forward to remaining a member of for a long time.

See you on Auraxis!
    Matthew Higby
    Former Creative Director
    Planetside 2

-

Good luck with whatever you go onto man. Maybe you can link up with TRay over at Bosskey, keep the Bromance alive.
    • Up x 19
  2. Dr.Destro229

So long higgy! o7
  3. sL360

I don't know whether to be happy that he's gone (game needs new blood bad) or sad. I don't think the person who takes his position will be as enthusiastic or hands on with the game as Higgles was.
    • Up x 2
  4. 7 Drunk Midgets

I think that's it then. The face of PlanetSide 2 is gone now, and I haven't been able to log in for weeks. I guess that's not entirely a bad thing anymore.
    • Up x 2
  5. Tommyp2006

[IMG]
    • Up x 21
  6. Killuminati C

Ever since I started playing this game at launch I've genuinely felt like he was passionate about this game. The loss of that passion coupled with his optimism for this games future will be sorely missed :(.
  7. Xind

Did he quit or was he fired? I'm not really clear on this point and it makes all the difference as far as feeling bad for him is concerned.
    • Up x 1
  8. Ribero

Good times.

I believe he resigned.
    • Up x 7
  9. Tommyp2006

He quit.
  10. Konstantinn

Didn't someone on Reddit predict when Daybreak acquisition was announced that IF Higby leaves, then it's a sign of the beginning of the end?
  11. Killuminati C

There's a new "end of days" post/prediction every hour on these forums alone. Not saying one way or the other myself but put simply, that's nothing new. I'm just hoping with all these layoffs and departures that as someone else mentioned, they bring in new blood and not let development die.

Hopefully we see an official post from a dev in the near future.
  12. FocusLight

And with that, the last of the old-guard devs are gone. I mean hell, is there anyone left who was here 2 years ago?

SOE is gone, all the devs are gone...

This can either finally kill PS2's potential, or it helps it get better. At this point, all we can do is wait and see what happens.

I'm not very positive on the future personally, but I will remain hopeful that I'll be positively surprised.
    • Up x 2
  13. TheShrapnelKing

Depending on who replaces him, this is either a great opportunity for the game or the death of it.

I'm cynical so I predict the latter.
    • Up x 3
  14. LibertyRevolution

Well that fills half of my requirements for me to give Daybreak any money...
    Sorry Higby, but after the last 2 years, I have major issues with your balance methods.

I don't blame him for walking away..
    If they canned everyone I was working with for the last 2 years, I would jump ship too if I had the chance.

Someone let me know when Smedley is gone, I'll buy that $12 drill instructor voicepack for my TR on the spot.
    • Up x 8
  15. asdfPanda

It will kill it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no attempts to hire personnel to replace the laid off staff.
    • Up x 1
  16. LT_Latency

When you are management you never get fired you always leave for "Personal Reason"
    • Up x 1
  17. BobSanders123

Malorn, Luperza, TRay, Higby, Carey. What the hell happened?
    • Up x 1
  18. LibertyRevolution

SOE was bought by an investment management firm.
    They typically do this, get rid of all the current management and restructure, that is what they do for a living..

None of this this should be a shock to anyone...
  19. FnkyTwn

I hate to see anybody lose their job (or be forced out), but honestly PS2 has been stagnating. It's taken way too long to accomplish some pretty basic stuff, and since the christmas break Higby seems to have gone into overdrive, which makes me think he saw the handwriting on the wall and was trying to look busy.

I doubt PS2 lives or dies based on Higby's departure.

blood for the blood god
    • Up x 2
  20. Joexer

"It's Over... Go Home"