60 fps feels like 30

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rantgen, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Rantgen

Hello, i recently upgraded my ram to 8 gb, solving all the stuttering and microhitching issues that the game had. Now i can play the game in 60 fps in low populated areas/warpgate, but even though the fps counter (alt+f) detects 60/70 fps, the game is not nearly as smooth as, for example, a 60fps youtube video. I'm not complaining about performances or anything, but i don't understand why this happens. This is my uderoption

[Display]
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=800
    WindowedHeight=600
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=0.855400

[Rendering]
    OverallQuality=-1
    GraphicsQuality=3
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=0
    LightingQuality=1
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=1
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=1
    RenderDistance=1500.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleLOD=1
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    VSync=0
    AO=0
    MaximumFPS=70
    UseLod0a=1
    BloomEnabled=0
    MotionBlur=0
    Smoothing=0

[Controls]
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1

[Sound]
    Master=0.210000
    Music=0.000000
    Game=1.000000
    Dialog=1.000000
    UI=1.000000
    UseFloat32Output=1
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=1
    IdleMusic=1
    UseHighQualityReverb=0
    MaxVoices=81
    SampleRate=44100

[ImageCapture]
    OutputFolder=./Screenshots
    OutputFilePrefix=screenshot.png

[VideoCapture]
    OutputFile=VideoCaptureOutput.avi
    Resolution=2
    Quality=100
    WorkingDir=Videos

[VideoStreamer]
    Resolution=1
    Fps=30
    Kbps=0
    MicRecordVolume=0.000000
    SpeakerRecordVolume=1.000000
    Username=

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=Off

[AutoRefuse]
    FriendInvitation=0
    DuelInvitation=0
    GuildInvitation=0
    HideUi=1
    TradeRequest=0
    HousingInvitation=0
    GroupInvitation=0

[Group]
    AutoGroupOnLogin=0
    AutoGroupAsLeader=0
    AutoGroupWithFriends=0
    AutoGroupWithGuild=0

[Voice]
    Enable=1
    ReceiveVolume=50.000000
    MicrophoneVolume=50.000000
    Ducking=0.500000

[UI]
    HudTiltAngle=0
    CentralizedHudMode=0
    HudTiltAnglePercent=0
    DrawMission=1
    DrawKillSpam=1
    HideWarpZoneConfirmation=1
    SelectedChatChannel=Generale
    TintModePlayer=4460130,19328,10357519
    TintModeFacility=1
    TintModeReticuleStyle=0
    TintModeReticuleColor=0
    PlatoonSquadColor0=3781962
    PlatoonSquadColor1=10707465
    PlatoonSquadColor2=9578383
    PlatoonSquadColor3=65793
    MapCurrentZone=6
    MapActiveToggleView=1
    MapFilterHeatMapMode=2
    MapCenterOnPlayer=0
    MapZoomLevel=2
    MapPositionX=-61.49252703735352
    MapPositionY=-128.6156597215576
    ShowDirectivesTutorial=0
    MapStatisticsView=0
    DrawLootDrop=1
    ShowGroupNotifications=1
    ShowOutfitNotifications=1
    HudChatSize=412|125

[General]
    AutoDetectPerformanceSettings=0
    MouseSensitivity=0.180000
    ScopedMouseSensitivity=0.200000
    ADSMouseSensitivity=0.200000
    VehicleMouseSensitivity=0.150000
    FlightMouseSensitivity=0.660000
    JoystickSensitivity=1.000000
    JoystickDeadzone=0.200000
    InvertVerticalLook=0
    InvertVerticalFly=0
    InvertTankSteering=0
    MouseRawInput=0
    MouseSmoothing=0
    ToggleCrouch=0
    ZoomToggle=0
    SprintToggle=0
    SprintLegacyToggleMode=0
    DrawHud=1
    ReduceInputLag=0
    FixedMinimap=0
    Profanity=1
    GamepadSmoothing=1
    GamepadSensitivity=0.500000
    GamepadInvertLook=0
    GamepadInvertFlight=0
    GamepadEasyFlight=0

[MinimapOptions]
    PathEnabled=0

[Emote]
    Favorites=

[Guild]
    NotifyOnGuildPetitionRecieved=1

[Video]
    VideoCapturePrefix=PS2Video

[VoiceChat]
    EchoEnabled=1
    EchoVolume=0.500000
    ProximityEnabled=1
    ProximityVolume=0.500000
    FactionEnabled=1
    FactionVolume=0.500000
    GroupEnabled=1
    GroupVolume=0.500000
    GroupLeaderEnabled=1
    GroupLeaderVolume=0.500000
    RaidEnabled=1
    RaidVolume=0.500000
    GuildEnabled=1
    GuildVolume=0.500000
    CustomEnabled=1
    CustomVolume=0.500000
    InputDevice=Default System Device
    OutputDevice=Default System Device

Note that i have vsync off, along with blooming, smoothing etc. I capped my fps to 70 only to see if the game could reach them, but even capped at 60 fps the games feels less smooth than actual 60 fps (also, sometimes when i'm flying i see some tearing on the image when i turn direction)
    What can i do?
  2. MrGrampybone

I agree. The FPS counter in this game seems off at times. Sometimes running at 40-50 feels more like 25.....
  3. Toxicmix1

You drop under massive battles even with good cpu´s because te api is hiting the limit in terms of draw calls, don't letting the cpu to process more data. Is not the cpu it self.

Your cpu CAN DO MORE.

I have my i7 at 5.05 ghz and still drop to around 50 frames under massive conditions.

Man, the funny thing is if you notice, the last year, the population on the servers are no longer at high, is allways at medium, I remember at the begining crazy battles of 300-400 guys, crazy stuff. dropping to 20 fps lool, ....You no longer see that, people slowly go away, the devs had promised a lot, and non of the promises can be achieved with an api that easily hits the limit.

I can tell you, under thouse massive battles, a game like this needs a lot of data, you really need to process all that data in a certain window of time, other wise you will end with really crappy frames, witch is what hapens. The api simply strokes the cpu. I don't remember very well of the limit, but I would say around 3000 calls per frame, witch is really crappy.

With hundreds of players the only and viable way to pass this wall, is simply having more calls available. Devs can group calls or simply remove stuff from the game, but lets be honest, this is planetside 2 damit, I want an epic game, I want to be in a massive battle of 400 players with beautiful graphics, a lot of different meshes and textures.

WE NEED MANTLE GUYS, OR DX12, very quickly, this will be the only way to save our game.

Is very sad to be honest, is very sad to see a few devs making horrible decisions when it comes to the engine/api.

Basicly, try to find other game because this game is dead anyway.
  4. Kirppu1

Or people are leaving because there isn't much to do.
    And when it comes to APIs have fun putting redteam api to a greenteam game, in which case Dx11 is a good call
    Btw engines are not made in few months, they take years and when forgelight was announced dx11 was two years old so the development was active around 2008-2010?
    • Up x 1
  5. Kirppu1

Turn that thing to 120, and telling your system specs would help......
  6. user300115

Windows sometimes causes a problem where it doesn't increase the clockrate of your CPU according to the load. This results in very inconsistent frametimes and makes the game feel worse.

You can fix this by setting the power plan to maximum performance.
  7. Kirppu1

Not true unless you are playing on a laptop
  8. user300115

Take a look at how bold the graphs seem on the left. That is the effect I am talking about - the frametime variance on the left is much higher[IMG]

Zoomed pic for better comparison:
    [IMG]
  9. Rantgen

Sorry guys, i forgot

CPU: amd phenom x4 965 3,4 ghz
    RAM: 8 gb (4x2gb) crucial ballistix sport 1600Mhz
    HDD: 1tb seagate barracuda 7200 rpm
    VGA: HD6870 sapphire
    MoBo: Asrock 970 pro3

IDK if that could help, because during intense battles the fps drop down to a stable 30 fps (feels like **** tho, with the esf expecially down below 40 fps feels like all the commands are delayed). Putting that to 120 would only make my game more instable (fps jumping up and down, and stuttering probably). I mean, i can also play the game at 300 fps (useless), but if even going out from the warpgate to a battle it goes from 70 to 57/58, what's the point?
    The game is smooth, i can look around and shot without freezing up (like it did with 4 gb of ram), but is not as smooth, flawless and buttery as anything like real 60 fps. I thought that my monitor was the cause (refresh rate and such), but it can play 60fps videos, why shouldn't it run a game in the same way?

Everything is set to maximum performance (both from control panel and BIOS)
  10. anaxim

It will sound silly but since it happened to me I have to tell you to make sure that you have a proper mouse.

I had the same problem and had tried many mice (all of them cheap, 10-20$) and because all of them had the same performance I thought mouse was not a problem.

When I finally tried a gaming mouse (50$, cheap but it is a gaming one) I realized how stupid I was. And how stupid people that say mouse doesnt mater are.
    It was as important as the pc upgrade that I did(that improved the framerates from 25fps to 60fps.......I had tried the 60-70fps without the gaming mouse and it was cr@p, when I was trying to aim or move the "camera" generally )
  11. Lord_Mogul

DX11 would be a nice thing, through the better multicore utilization im comparison to DX9
    (And who has a Card that is not able to render DX11 and plays the game. A machine with such an old graphics card, would be old enough that the cpu is as weak als that graphics card.)

I recently got my first drops below 30 fps.
    The devs need to better utilize the CPU power that we have.
    With a game that "huge" not fullly using a quad core is embarrasing.
  12. Kirppu1

When the game reaches more than the set Framerate limit it starts to introduce smoothing which may result in higher lag, also 60fps in videos may have motion blur
  13. Kirppu1

"Gaming mice" are a placebo
  14. Lord_Mogul

Only thing that matters about mice is the performance you get (Many "Pro Gamer" stay to that old Microsoft IntelliMouse)
    Additional buttons, DPI settings, etc. are more a thing of personal preference.
  15. BlackDove

Thats just how this game is. Thats what happens when you make an fps out of Freerealms engine lol.
  16. BlackDove

Does that mean that the power saving fratures of the CPU are constantly turning on and off?

If so, what CPUs exhibit this behavior? Or is it simply a Windows issue?
  17. user300115

Currently on an i7-5820k. There are some threads in German hardware and especially enthusiasts forums but I couldn't find anything in English.

What I think is happening: Every core clocks independently and Windows keeps shifting loads across the cores. In some cases for unknown reasons Windows does that extremely often. This seems to create short time frames where a core has a high load but still runs with idle clocks.

If you don't see the load on your cores rapidly shifting you are probably not affected.

So far I have read multiple complaints addressing SB-E, Ivy-E and Haswell-E and a single complaint with the FX-8350. But at the same time there were not many people with an average system participating in the threads.

Possible solutions:
    * Manually assign cores to your application.
    * Disable the power saving feature for the CPU.
    * Run a benchmarks like prime on the other cores.
    * Run linux.

I also tested with another real world example which is ****:
    [IMG]

I am still looking for a possible causes.
  18. Lord_Mogul

Yeah, I know that problem

So far I have read multiple complaints addressing SB-E, Ivy-E and Haswell-E and a single complaint with the FX-8350. But at the same time there were not many people with an average system participating in the threads.

I used this before for a number of other games, where it worked flawlessly
    That helps greatly when a game does not full utilizite the CPU (like Crysis on a quad core.
    I had two Core 2 CPUs: One quad (2,4 GHz) and one dual core (3,0 GHz)
    It ran on faster und the dual core due to its higher speed and downclocking in the quad due to low utilization
    Which would force the CPU to its highest clock state, but will usa a lot more power.
    I think this solution is not that optimal when runnign a demanding game, that relies on Windows system architecture (DirectX for example, any Emulation like Wine would slow the rendering even more down)

Sorry if I'm so nitpicking about this, but I'm sort of into that kind of stuff.
    If it is really that effective I will change my power settings it from now on before starting the game. (I think pinnig it to 3 cores might also help, to decrease the amound of load shifting through windows)
  19. anaxim

Maybe the cheap mice that I was using (4-5 of them) where completely garbage I dont know , but no way that my new mouse is not 5 times more accurate/smoother than them.
    I had the pixel skipping problem, and I had tried all internet tricks to solve pixel skipping while moving the mouse.Long range aiming was impossible. I had to by my gaming mouse to solve the problem.
    (if you have pixel skipping, even with 200 frames per second, you move the mouse and it is like your cross-hair is moving on a grid )

I dont say that everyone should buy gaming mice , just dont use 10-15$ mice for gaming (like I was doing).
  20. Rantgen

i get what your point is, but still i "feel" that the game is not completely smooth as actual 60 fps even when standing still. I'm not moving my mouse, and the people around me are not running in a "60fps-ishly smooth" way.