Its really time for a revamp of Indar

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Revel, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Revel

The Southeast Warp gate is still atrocious after 2 years, and Northern Indar base design remains a joke where everything is completely open and gets overrun by mass vehicles (as do certain bases in other parts of the continent)
  2. Tommyp2006

Good luck with that, they just cut one of the few level designers left on the PS2 team :(
    • Up x 7
  3. Ballto21

make everything xenotech labs.

endless xenotech.

Or expand the grasslands
  4. ColonelChingles

It's a desert.

Deserts are often flat and open.

Just imagine you're fighting Operation Desert Storm or something.

[IMG]

Big flat open nothing.

In fact PS2 ought to feature more flat open areas that you must cross in order to get to the next base about 1km away. That'd be fun.

Instead our bases are ridiculously close to each other as is. Hardly any space to fight a proper war.
    • Up x 11
  5. Rraymondo316

^^^^ This

Christ they didnt even finish Hossin either :(
  6. FateJH

The best way to revamp Indar is to sink it back into the ocean whence it came.
    • Up x 4
  7. Maelthra

They just fired probably their best level designer, so you might be waiting awhile on that revamp.
    • Up x 1
  8. Klypto

Unlikely. They let go the level designer today who was working on Indar revamps.
  9. DQCraze

Good riddence. Hes probably the reason we have the lattice system.
  10. Maelthra

He wasn't.
    • Up x 1
  11. FateJH

Is this an obscure jab at replacing developers with artists?
  12. Leftconsin

Northern Indar is the last place where bringing vehicles to a fight actually matters in the base cap. How about we don't completely marginalize vehicles?
    • Up x 4
  13. MahouFairy

That part of the map is meant for large scale vehicle and long range combat. Whenever I deploy there, I pull out my engie with BR and try to exchange fire with people crouched at the sparse rock outcrops around the desert. If not, I'll pull vehicles. That part of the map is meant for this kind of play style. If you want infantry fights so much, try going to Hossin or fighting in the dome of a biolab.

Some bases like Abandoned NS offices are meant to be fought over using vehicles while other walled up bases are not. Giving different base designs calls for different tactics which you will have to think out of yourself, or by following RL military tactics to some extent. If you don't like vehicle combat, I seriously don't understand why you are here. Have you watched the trailer? The last part of the trailer was epic. Unfortunately, real gameplay is only a fraction of the epicness of the trailer. Don't try to tone it down further.
    • Up x 5
  14. Goretzu

The lattice is supposed to work hand in hand with global resources, unfortunately the latter never came and may well never now.
    • Up x 4
  15. DeltaUMi

Indar's open desert is outrageous; vehicles have to much of a role here in this combined arms game. They must make everything on Indar urban as soon as possible so infantry can do everything in this combined arms game. It is simply not enough that vehicles have no objectives in base captures; there must be more ways to increase the uselessness of vehicles in this combined arms game.

Look at Hossin; it is a prime example of a perfect map for combined arms. Trees with large canopies everywhere to destroy air-to-ground and ground-to-air interaction, the air community is so lively these days. That is not to mentioning the foliage, rocks, and more trees every 5 meters to allow infantry to ambush ground vehicles anywhere on the map. That is the ideal map where infantry just dominates in this combined arms game.

Maybe the vehicles should just be removed altogether, then there will be no more complaining about vehicles killing infantry. After all, that is why infantry are complaining about vehicles. What kind of military combat vehicle supports the war effort by killing the enemy? That is completely absurd. After all, the reason why tanks or aircraft were created was to be cannon fodder for infantry, not siege bases, spearhead attacks, be the main attack force themselves. No one will ever forget the decisive infantry battle of Kursk or the great infantry charge of Operation Desert Storm. If vehicles were removed, Planetside 2 will then reach its full potential as an immersive combined arms game minus the vehicles.

What am I saying? How is the removal or nerf of vehicles going to make a better combined arms game? Maybe the problem lies with the players. Their arrogance is probably blinding them from adapting to the situation where pulling anti-vehicle armor, Liberators, and ESF's to counter the enemy's armor would be much more effective than using WWI infantry tactics. After all, this is a combined arms game.
    • Up x 10
  16. QuakerOatsMan

Indar still remains my favorite continent because of its variety in landscape, simple bases, and much greater freedom of movement, which I take advantage of in flanking (I also play on a low-end laptop. Hossin and sometimes Amerish destroys my FPS). The routes from base to base in both Amerish and Hossin feel a little too forced, or too clunky.

(And contrary to the OP, my favorite Indar WG is the southeast).
    • Up x 2
  17. maxkeiser

Indar remains by far the best continent to play on - the best terrain, the best battles and even the best bases.

The other continents are ruined by: i) stupid mountains or ravines artificially coralling people into lattice lanes and preventing movement, ii) pointless complicated base design where it take you 5 minutes to find the exit/entrance, iii) walls (esamir) etc etc.

At least the terrain on Indar is fun, supports openworld sandbox play and has lots of open space.
    • Up x 1
  18. CNR4806

Agreed, and even more so after bases no longer provide resource income (which was the biggest disadvantage of SE Indar warpgate).

The hills provide very interesting angles of attack and defense of bases, namely routes that are almost completely vertical (most prominent at Feldspar Canyon Base). PS2 could use more canyon terrain like this.
    • Up x 2
  19. Kanil

y'know, Hossin really is a pretty good continent for tanks -- you can use all those foliages, rocks, and trees that you complain about to your advantage just as much as the infantry can. Cover works both ways.

Also, it's quite flat in many places, allowing you to maximize your mobility advantage, and let you flank things too.

Central Hossin is a hell hole and should be avoided, but the rest of the continent is a lot nicer than the perpetual battles over the choke points of Indar. I wouldn't mind seeing those revamped, but that doesn't seem like a possibility anymore.
    • Up x 2
  20. KirthGersen

When I started playing, I loved Indar, but now I hate it and avoid every time except other continents nave no pop.
    You all know static battle points:
    - Quartz/Ex Site
    - West Highlands/Comm Array
    - Ti Alloys
    - Regent/Xenotech
    - Broken Arch
    - Howling Pass
    - East Canyon/Briggs Labs
    This is really an issue for now (well, maybe not, if you just enjoy endless respawn in one place with more or less kills per life and no progress at all).
    Even more annoying thing is large open areas what already killed air and tank gameplay on most of the continent (except Allatum and Hvar area where some interesting things still can happen). Number of AV/AA infantry and MAXes is ridicilous these days, and any faction simly not pulling a lot of vehicles anymore.
    All the good and fun tank/air fights are happening on Hossin and Amerish now. By saying "fun" I mean ineresting and unpredictable.
    For those of you who like straight forward shell excahnge "shoot, get damage, retreat, repair, repeat", Indar is the best place maybe.
    I'd so much like if Indars is being reworked but I highly doubt it will ever happen.
    • Up x 2