Congratz guys, there is now an upcoming AV Sniper Rifle...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jawarisin, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Jawarisin

2. WarmasterRaptor

If anything, on the tool slot, a choice between launchers and that thing.
  3. Jawarisin

It should be infil-only, it's a sniper rifle...
    • Up x 2
  4. AlterEgo

Pretty sure launchers would win, man! I mean, come on...
    That...
    or THIS:
    [IMG]

I agree. But hey, I say it should be given to Engineers as well. It would make sense; HAs are in no need of the rifle, since they already carry something that is far more powerful.
  5. Jawarisin

Sorry, I thought the AV mana-turret was a good anti-vehicle :/
    The only one with no AV capacitities right now is the infil
    • Up x 1
  6. AlterEgo

Definitely should be given to the Infiltrator, man. Also, I think Infiltrators should be able to hack into all vehicles, because it was kind of fun in Planetside. As for the Engineer...
    Exactly. The Mana isn't nearly as good as it once was. It's like ZOE, only not so game-breaking and not as harshly nerfed.
  7. Plague Rat

Been playing this game since release, identify heavily with the infiltrator class, but still maintain that infils probably shouldn't get true AV capability. We just don't really need it, at least not in such a fashion, and it feels like something like in the hands of an infiltrator would only benefit those that adamantly refuse to class swap, but still want to be viable in all roles. And that's just not really good for anyone. But that's just an opinion coming from watching several games ultimately fall into banality following similar trends.

But that aside, it's an AV weapon, so hopefully it's capability will be limited against infantry now that they're learning how much grief comes from such weapons being too effective against in that regard. My hope is that it's incapable of infantry OHKs, or if it is, they'd be limited to a very short range. Double digits even.

From that point I could see the inifltrator getting their hands on it but only as a primary weapon. That way the necessity of a tactical choice is still intact. Do I take the AV Rifle to engage light armor, and have to rely on my pistol for infantry? or take my standard BASR for full anti-infantry capability?

If it's a tool slot equip however, let the engi's and HA's have it. Let them decide between their turrets/launcher and the rifle, because at least that's a choice on the same level. If that same choice were put to the average infiltrator between their recon tools and a rifle that drastically, and possibly even ridiculously expand engagement capability, well that becomes somewhat of a more slanted choice.
    • Up x 2
  8. Fry_Poncho

:eek: I NEED THIS.

Seriously, infils need a more feared presence. Probably gonna have virtually no ammo though. Perhaps this could also go to the LA, but using it would remove the secondary.
  9. Get2dachoppa

And they want to give it to the Heavy Assault...the class that already has a multitude of rocket launcher options, C4, and AV grenades.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  10. CuteBeaver

Well, I put a post up there towards the bottom. I'm not sure what to think about this.

The dev should have just called it an Anti Material Rifle, based on the description, and changed the model to be less sniper rifle like, since the range is supposed to be shorter. However I started thinking about engineers, and how gimpy they are in combat. They don't have over-sheilds, they don't have the ability to heal themselves with a gun drawn, they cannot fly, or hide and flank as we do. They have to use hard cover and lots of ammos. ;3

So I was thinking - Hmmm, maybe they SHOULD actually have access to sniper rifles... What would Planetside 2 be like if engineers were hanging out in sniper nests with us... Phaseshift proved unlimited ammo wasn't really a huge deal. Engineers giving us ammos sounds nice. It would be funny watching them trying to use their turrets as cover while sniping with a traditional BASR. They would die more often to ESF, and, being counter sniped, and flanked, (unless we helped with radar) but we wouldn't be as lonely. They'd actually be pretty nice for support. For traditional engineer play having a sniper rifle could allow them peak more effectively from behind cover and go for headshots like we do too. It might not be a terribad thing for either of us to share sniper rifles. Thinking about this I could imagine an alternative PS universe where engineers provide tanks as mobile cover for them and their infil buddies. It could be a beautiful friendship working together like that.

The same line of logic was considered once with Light Assaults, and giving them access to scout rifles. I think unlike back then, infiltrators are in a stronger position now. We can consider these posibilities without overwhelming fear of being removed from the game or undone. Infils provide both team support and killing prowess, protection from backrage, and no longer considered useless anymore by the community at large.

There is a possible change in direction that could happen here. We get this new AMSR but at a cost of having individualized weapons shared with engineers. Nothing is taken from our abilities as players, but our class abilities, and tools become our defining traits. Rather then a weapon type.

So do you want to see our abilities, and tools define us? Or have it come down primarily to the weapons we are using?
  11. CuteBeaver

I really don't think they will give this to a HA. Most of the responses in the forum are negative towards that.
    • Up x 1
  12. Get2dachoppa

That's good, but the fact they considered it to the point of presenting it to the community was facepalm worthy. At least the idea of giving this weapon to the Engineer has some promise.
  13. Casey B

14. Sierra331

Why not just give infiltrators the ability to temporarily disable vehicles and aircraft with a well placed or well timed EMP Grenade? Time it just right and you could knock down a low flying enemy aircraft or halt a vehicle column just long enough for your boys to do their work or for yourself to sneak by.
  15. AlterEgo

That would be nice, but why not just give them a very balanced AV rifle that definitely won't do too much damage, and isn't really too effective against infantry? I mean, what's the worst that can happen? 20 Infiltrators using these things to camp the warp gates? Well, same thing happened with the Striker, Ravens, and to some extent...
    Wait, did anyone use the PPA to camp the warp gates? I'd say maybe, I just haven't seen any videos.
  16. MrForz

I don't think a Heavy Assault will trade his main infantry-mowing tool or his trusty rocket launcher for an AV Rifle that does light damage to vehicles.
  17. Auzor

Crazy isn't it? The prime AV class getting access to an AV weapon?

Anyhow: rockets are slow, and this weapon is intended as an anti-harasser/anti-max weapon.. which dumbfires are kinda troublesome to use for.

I think it can be a fantastic addition (sad not ES statswise, oh well);
    and I'm completely fine with the proposed classes; heavy, infil, engy.
    In fact, I'd consider giving access to LA too, as C4 is getting a nerf.

Here's hoping ranged will be capped by damage drop-off, not by low velocity.. otherwise hitting harassers is gonna be difficult.
    • Up x 2
  18. MarkAntony

Yup. LA could finally have a tool!
    • Up x 1
  19. Casey B

Ahh...I was tired last night and made a post with no context X-X...

What I was trying to say is this rifle shouldn't have nerfed range. It should have nerfed infantry damage, similar to the weapon in my links. It should have at least 600 m/s velocity so it can be effective against harassers. It should do the same damage as a 2 bar lancer hit. It should be a primary weapon, so taking such a powerful weapon comes with a serious disadvantage and yes Infiltrators should get them along with Engi's.

Along with this they should put MBT's, Galaxys and Liberators into their own armor class. A heavy armor class that can't be as easily damaged by AV grenades, AMR's like this one, Basilisks or C4. That way the AMR could still have great DPS against Maxes, Flashes, Harrasers and Lightnings while not being as much of a issue for large slow targets. That would also be my alternative to the upcoming C4 nerf/armor buff.
  20. Get2dachoppa

The heavy assault isn't just the prime AV class, its the prime combat class period. As I said, they already have multiple options for AV duty from lock ons to dumbfires. And as a VS player, I already have the Lancer if I want to snipe at vehicles. This weapon is stupidly redundant on a class that is already over filled with firepower. Its concept infringes on an empire specific rocket launcher (Lancer). Its very nature as a sniper rifle infringes on the flavor of the Infiltrator class.

I've been a long time proponent of Infiltrators getting an AV option of some kind but I would gladly give up this weapon being available for the Infiltrator if it meant the Heavy Assault didn't get it either.