Is Planetside going Pay to Play?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tylerso12, Feb 3, 2015.

1. sjtw_w_stot

I'm not totally adverse to a subscription-based format. In so much that the money gets pumped back into the games dev and much better network server performance. But this question can be answer rather simply, do you know of any games on the Playstation 4 console which are pay2play?

How could they implement a pay-scheme on the PC platform and provide it free on the console? It would have to balanced to say the least, the cost of teh console game bought in store would have to be the same sum as say a 1 year PC subscription just so things would be balanced and fair to all players regardless of platform. Sumtin' like that anyways...
  2. Crator

So I guess the intent is to throw away the game after a couple years? I suppose the industry is still figuring that out? From the beginning SOE planned to develop PS2 over many years (and I'd assume let it run for much more longer after development is done).
  3. TeknoBug

Changing the face of this game this far in would just kill it, just like what happened to Star Wars Galaxies.

PS- from what I've read (can't remember where), F2P games bring in more money than monthly subs do.
  4. Xasapis

They do. Why do you think the industry changed from subscription only to F2P and in some cases attempts at double dipping with subscription + required cash shop were made?
  5. DxAdder

Can anyone name any of these F2P games that are doing well or have been around more that 2 years ?

Subs do work WoW has around 7-8 million paid subs.
  6. Xasapis

WoW is actually the only game left along with FFXIV that are subscription only. Everyone else moved to F2P with subscription option. For the rest the subscription only is simply not sustainable, which makes WoW the exception, not the rule.
  7. PhoenixError

To further this, especially for people saying subscription based Planetside 2 would be better, what makes PS2 worth playing 120-180 dollars a year when you can buy something like Counter Strike, BF4, Whatever new Call of Duty, etc. for half (or more) as much?
    • Up x 1
  8. TwwIX

What bubble do you live in?
  9. Nocturnal7x

Its night like this game is all that recognizable from when it "launched". Lattice, complete map overhauls, implants and Ive never seens such sweeping balance changes and extremes. Liberators, Rocketpods, Flinch mechanics, ZOE maxes. Not to mention people who couldn't run the game one day but had playable FPS the next :p
  10. DxAdder

I'm just looking for some examples of games where the F2P model is working as described.

Look at Planetside 2, we have almost NO new content. And I referring to Content that brings in new players and
    keeps veterans playing.

They simply don't have the funds for development and content is rolled out at a snails pace.
  11. Crator

I was just asking myself yesterday, "Why was WoW so popular versus it's competitors?". I don't think it has to do with the monetization model though. Can you name another sub-based MMO that has ever had that many subs? WoW is definitely an exception to the rule.

What description are we going off of here? Higby just tweeted that they are adding new weapons. I'd imagine after PS4 release and some dust settling after the Daybreak buy-out we will see more new content and changes. Remember, they spent a lot of time optimizing the game last year too. During that time, they didn't develop anything new. SOE has many F2P titles and the way they do development cycles seems like they float the developers around each of them quite a bit. Maybe they'll get a cash injection to help some of the projects speed up? Who knows yet.
  12. DxAdder

A new gun while it may be content isn't going to bring new players to the game.

A new Class , Battle Islands , a new class of ground vehicle, a new continent that
    opened up the possibility of navel warfare. these are the type of things that bring new players to a game.
  13. PhoenixError

Star Trek Online
    Mabinogi
    Maplestory
    League of Legends
    Anarchy Online (been F2P for quite awhile now)
    Dragon Nest
    Combat Arms
    DC Universe Online
    Bloodline Champions
    Blacklight: Retribution
    Fallen Earth
    Alliance of Valiant Arms

Probably could have dug up more that were 2+ years old but decided to switch to just FPS ones (that I could find on steam) eventually.