Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Halo572

Their argument is totally valid. They may not be pay 2 win per se but they are the most recent mechanism to be used to generate revenue.

As I have always asked - how on Earth do you people think they are supposed to create sustainable revenue on a F2P model where even the hardcore admit they don't spend anything on it?

It is pretty sad to read the posts where there is so much hope that this will lead to the title that was always promised, and that after already waiting 2 1/2 years with no sign of that happening.

What is it with gamers these days that drives the delusion to fund $72m for a game that doesn't even exist? $350 for a ship that doesn't exist?

Sony couldn't make their whole portfolio add up so they sold it on, whoever owns it will evaluate each title by it's bottom line and decide what to do based on that.

They are not a charity or wish foundation they are focussed on profit, while there is the minute chance they would want to develop objectives and game play it is more likely - and easier - to add slot machines to the broken TDM in tiny maps in a big map or just shut it down.

What does make me laugh are the historical comments that maybe 5 years after release the title would become what it should be.

Looks like time ran out.
  2. Nalothisal

This may be true, but I was clawing at them for claiming p2w when in reality it's not.

I'm just sick of people claiming P2W on these free to play titles when they see anything that even remotely gives players a slight advantage like XP boosts or 5 random implant crates that don't do jack.
    • Up x 1
  3. Teira

Hope not!
    • Up x 1
  4. sagolsun

In reality it's half bad design, half pay2win. An artibtrary slot machine mechanic inserted into a skill-based PvP game. Separating a single implant ability into redundant 4 levels that even the devs can't distinguish without looking it up.

BTW, the estimated time to get all T4 implants is 14 years of playtime. Good luck.
  5. SmokaSizzle70

Well I have played PS2 on and off since Beta. I am only level 20 but I do like PS2.
    As of yet I haven't subscribed to monthly payments.
    I think now is the time to start paying as I for one don't want to see PS2 go.
    Pay-day = Monthly Sub for me <3 PS2
    • Up x 1
  6. Opapanax

Haters gonna hate. Let me guess H1Z1 gets no blame right? Servers were **** to begin with PS4 beta has minimal impact.

I really don't see how PS4 gets so much hate when there were issues with the game out the gate and the PC playerbase has been dwindling for some time.

So PS4 is to blame for the two server mergers that have happened already too right? You'll act like you don't know how SoE operates. Planetside 1, Everquest, DCUO taught no lessons?

Easiest to blame an extremely successful console that is actually going to increase the playerbase even on PC than to acknowledge the misteps by the developers and SOE in general.

Get off the hate train. It's here and not going anywhere. So nut up or shut up.
    • Up x 2
  7. TEUFELDRITCH

No more SOE? YAY! *does a happy dance*
  8. dezusa

Ded game

Ded company

Ded (on arrival) investors

RIP PS2 :rolleyes:
    Oh and remember to buy those $25 namechanges.
  9. RainbowDash9

hooray for you soe now gimme my cloak sunderer, galaxies that carry vehicles, the rest of the resource revamp, and about 3 more continents so the continent locking isnt just a nuisance.
    • Up x 1
  10. Dunkarooo

I am excited for the future of Ps2. I am delighted and super happy about the influx of quality and fresh perspectives. I am whistling in skipping along in a public park as if I was a chimney sweep in Mary Poppins!
  11. EZPickens

My uneducated and humble opinion.

#1. Sony's decision making process, long term goals, and strategy behind this sale will probably never be known outside of the Sony circle. Same can be said for investment group. Daybreak games is meat on the table.

#2. In general you don't dump profitable streams of cash flow.

#3. Having bean counters from a tech investment group (that to my knowledge isn't getting into gaming because it is their passion) jumping into a gaming business, which while technical, is ultimately about GAMING and CUSTOMER SERVICE, does not bode well to me. Gaming and Customer service are not terms I readily associate with capital investment.

#4. If Sony could not figure out how to make their gaming division into something that generated $, to the point that they would never let it go, with all of the time, money, experience, and personnel at their disposal, what are the odds that Joe *** Lately is going to jump in and make it work?

(Take Drew Estates being purchased by Swisher. While Swisher makes good toilet mops, they at least they know how to convert tobacco into tubes, market complete ****, and get people to buy. Chances Swisher will **** up what Drew Estates does, 50/50. But at least they are in the same general business. Swisher (hope to god) at least knows what a good smoke is, and has possibility of propelling Drew further into the market.)

#5. Investment groups are about return. So why would they buy?
    a. Columbus Nova are stupid and bought a losing (mediocre) product only to keep it going the same as it is. (yea right)
    b. Sony is stupid and sold off a profitable asset; leaving Daybreak Games to lead us into gaming nirvana, and Columbus Nova to run delightedly to the bank each month. (<---- If this is reality, I want to smoke it every day)
    c. These guys know something that SOE doesn't about making online games and can not only improve PS2 game experience,but make it generate $. (Magic 8 Ball says: Yes Definitely)
    d. These new guys are going to substantially change game mechanics/pricing structure to milk every dime they can. (probable)
    e. There was a piece of tech, personnel, or other asset that SOE had that they need to fit into one of their projects, all else is scrap to them. (possible)

#6. Kim Jong Un blackmailed Sony into selling, so that when Sony is hacked to destruction, the greatest training tool available to them would be preserved. "As the army conducted political and ideological work in a positive manner and stoked the flames of training under combat conditions, all its officers and men and units of services and arms became strong in ideas and faith and prepared as an invincible army capable of discharging operational and combat missions proficiently in any circumstances and conditions. Iron military discipline was established in the entire army and unprecedented successes were made in the improvement of soldiers’ living." (http://kimjongun2015.************.es/2015/01/new-year-address.html?view=magazine") (ROFL)

Game focused companies, whose history, passion, experience, focus, and personnel are all about GAMING, have a hard time in the market. Columbus Nova (I have been gaming for 30+ years, first time I have heard the name. yes I am that old.) getting into gaming, well....Russian Roulette odds start to look good to me.

SOOO...dear constant reader, if you made it this far, given the above, I think the odds of this being a good thing are about nil.
    • Up x 3
  12. TheNeonParadox

I'd prefer to have SOE go indie and drain the cash out of us than sell themselves to one of those money leeching companies that almost suck the joy out of people's lives... Or maybe the company wants to take up the gaming industry and get a new profession and be good businessmen, but the odds of that are a Googillion to one.
  13. TheSlayer007

The main issue that I have is the EXPENSIVE PRICE YOU PUT TO THE TOKEN FOR NAME CHANGE. That price is absolutely outrageous. It literately shows how GREEDY this company has become. Prices are going up and things that should be for free are even more expensive. It sucks to have to pay $25 dollars for changing one character's name. SOE is out of control. WE deserve better prices.
    • Up x 1
  14. G.O.A.T

Sorry but the PS4 version of Planetside 2 is killing Planetside 2.

Instead of resources being used to give us great content, we are getting nothing at all, basically everything being done in the game is balancing/fixing issues but no content added.

Example...We have only gotten 1 map (hossin),1 vehicle(Harasser), and 1 plane(Valkyrie) in 2 years....Sorry but thats inexcusable.

We need way more content like in Planetside 1...When Planetside 1 Launched it had way more content than Planetside 2 now.

Lets compare continents
    (I didn't even include Sanctuaries, also most of these maps if not all(except for battle islands I believe) were in the game since Launch)

To Planetside 2
    Indar
    Esamir
    Hossin
    Amerish

You get the point I believe...Same with vehicles, Planetside 1 had tons of different vehicles, Planetside 2 barely has different vehicles.

Sure we have gotten plenty of weapons for both infantry/vehicles/aircraft that do somewhat change gameplay but lets face it, this weapons are just a lazy way of adding content IMO....I want a little bit more effort and actually see new vehicles instead of just a new gun that changes damage stats.

I know Sony was breathing down your necks for Planetside 2 on PS4 but now this can all change, u can focus on content for the actual game like you should have done since the beginning.

Im actually scurred you people might focus on Xbox One version of PLanetside 2 and just forget about us PC Gamers not getting content.
    • Up x 2
  15. Borsty

First of all, get the damn servers back online.
    • Up x 3
  16. TeknoBug

So what does this mean for the future of PC version as well as the PS4 version, does it mean it might go to XB1 version too if PS4 version is continued?
  17. Nalothisal

I'm willing to let them get away with the PS4 version but I want NEW content added and all the day one issues fixed long before the even THINK about porting to the X******** One. I want new faction specific vehicles with ATVs, buggys, humvees, APCs, IFVs, tanks, and air and a new continent with continental ladice.
  18. Opapanax

More PS4 is killing Planetside 2 nonsense. The game has been in a questionable state for the longest and as great of a concept as Planetside is the implementation even going back to PS1 has left alot to be desired. The game was out nearly a year and a half before PlayStation 4 even hit the market and although was announced as a release title it got pushed back.

People insisting that PS4 has had that large of an impact on the development of the game are being nieve and looking for a strawman instead of placing proper blame which falls to the developers themselves. This game has always been since Beta on PC on shaky ground. Had rendering issues, hit detection issues and lag. All before PlayStation 4 was even on consumers buy list.

I have to say if you're that torn up the game is on console. Well 2fnBad bro cause it's here now. What do you guys think is the base for PS4 to begin with? The freaking PC version so as someone who is interested in seeing it a success on both platforms I hope development moves forward on both.

It's so lame seeing people seriously placing blame on the console like if it didn't exist all would be cotton candy rainbows on PC. Do you seriously think this port is at fault for PC getting such little content? Well you're a silly brain then cause the success on PS4 is attached to the success of PC as well. Higby and the bunch had more than enough time to add more than one Aircraft and whatever land vehicle. The shortcomings fall on them not PS4.

Even more so if they are choosing to dedicate so much crippling resources to the console development then what does that say about PC worthiness in the first place. They more than likely see the many plausible and obvious benefits of the console market.

Find some other strawman to place blame on other than console. The PC elitists mindset is keeping you in the stone age of gaming. Time to evolve your thinking of gaming. PC doesn't run the show anymore. Consumers do and consumers want Planetside 2 on PS4.

Deal with it. My gracious...

Whah whah whah my PC isn't the main thing anymore people desire options whah whah whah
  19. Ac3s

Nothing can beat PC, all those other platforms are just horrible to play any game on "pro" level since they all have awkward controllers and they lack the option to upgrade hardware.
    Gaming platforms are just "per-fabrucated" PC wannebees, kind of like how Hollywood does re-makes of great movies and turns it into crap while telling the public its "the best".
  20. Nenouus

As dedicated PC gamer I have made it a rule to never insult other folks choice of platform they choose to play on, when supposed PC gamers like yourself go around bashing consoles it tells myself that your just trolling and more than likely playing PS on some cheap rig you purchased at Walmart.
    If you understood this? You would understand that consoles have there place and compliment the PC platform, I also play on the PS4.
    • Up x 3