Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Cyridius

#BuzzWasRight
  2. Nalothisal

**** that racist ****...if you are referring to BuzzcutPsycho.
    • Up x 1
  3. JustBoo

As long as Smegly and his so-called management team are running this mis-adventure, NOTHING will change. Nothing but a name.

If someone has decades of failed behavior for all the world to see behind them, how will changing a name suddenly make it all better? Man, proves you simply cannot fix pure stupid. Rationalization and denial are amazing things.
  4. LaSeRCyBoRg

I've been waiting for this game to come out to PS4 since it was announced (this means even before PS4 came to market).
    I just hope i don't have to wait much longer because the 2 year old game graphics are really getting outdated every day.
    Back to topic: I was happy to help and spend my money with Sony, now i don't fell happy throwing my money at an unknown american "investment management" firm (Columbus Nova) that is owned by (Renova Group) a russian group of companies of the same type (greedy type).
  5. Rraymondo316

UPGRADE NOW TO SAVE PLANETSIDE!!!!
  6. PinkHurtsMyEyes

Maybe I am old and cynical, but I have a hard time seeing how this is a good thing. PS2 have issues, but they are fixeable, we need late-game, content, more win-states, and more strategy elements. The dated gfx is not a big issue for me, at least not if the gameplay is good. I believe if these things were improved PS2 could be a good f2p title with decent revenues. Sony might have been o.k. with "decent" revenues, but them selling SOE indicates that they did not believe it would happen and sold it before PS4 launch.

Venture capitalists care about making money, not building products, services or brands. They manage portfolios, not games. Aquiring the game prior to PS4 launch probably means they think there will be an initial increase in company value on release of the PS4 version. They want a cash-out not a product to build with decent or even good revenues. It's all about the company value.

So in short - cash out and get rid of the remains.
  7. VikingKong

Ah, that old chestnut. There are more honest ways to admit you were wrong, but I guess I'll take it.
    • Up x 4
  8. the_french _ashigaru

do you remember when glu mobile bought gamespy? it will be the same with SOE
  9. Leer

I reread this and it comes off a with attitude that is not intended. I work at an investment company and on good days this we talk about a project that is finally breaking even and turning a profit (hopefully stable). I assumed people would understanding that "making money now" would translate based on the thread. Often the term "We are making money now" is used when you start to profit. It is lazy, loose, and used in casual conversation.

..and now I see this doesn't really contribute to the thread all that much.

tldr: You are technically correct just missed my assumed intent with the comment. Same place different paths.
  10. Leer

I was more going after the point that effort will be made to make some money from the purchase. How they do it is, as you say, is an unknown. I think Planetside is a great game concept and I like playing it even with the issues. From what I can see in game it still has a big upside for game play and popularity that I assume CN sees. I just hope they pick my list of priories. Most everyone has a different vision.
    • Up x 1
  11. Zoobe

Fortunately you will not have to wait long to ascertain how the new owners will progress. There is a great barometer in the shape of the EU server problems, which are causing much frustration in the player base, preventing new F2P players from enjoying the game, and forcing many subscribers to cancel membership.

It is obvious that the solution there is going to need to be funded to prevent those customers leaving and attract new ones. It will either be, more bandwidth, servers, peers which cost money to get subscriptions growing, or it will be no fix, maybe consolidations and if it is the later, then you know where you stand with PS2 on PC going forward.
    • Up x 2
  12. Leer

What is a "GameSpy"? Sounds like a great name for a company that could help you find gaming information and maybe even be a meeting place to find matches!
  13. Crator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameSpy
    • Up x 1
  14. Uthere

Let's not lie to each others, SONY is 10000 times bigger than Columbus Nova (just visit the webpage and have a look).
    Columbus Nova founded in 2000 owns SOE founded in 1998 (Yes I know we're living in a mad world).
    Anyways, all the $ economy is collapsing so SOE will not be an isolated case.
  15. hostilechild

They will milk the games making money and shutdown the ones not making money. Guess which one ps2 is.

They are not going to put money into something they don't see as profitable or at least profitable in the near future. and ps2 is on decline.
  16. Brasjtamanirya

I can't wait to see this very forum buried under a ****** free web template like the homepage of the new company.
  17. werty789754

This company has 6 members. SIX.
    This investment company, like so many others, is looking for a quick buck.
    Think about it. PS2 on PS4 has practically been a failure, it's been pushed back multiple times.
    Nothing new has come to the PC version in a long time, aside from a few guns here and there.
    SOE as a whole has been doing terrible lately.
    Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see "Daybreak" turned into another company that does nothing but churn out mobile games.
  18. Foxirus

Actually I don't think thats true. The reason the devs post on reddit is not because of the constraints, But because of the layout and self administration. I think I also read somewhere the ease of access to exact topics as well as general forum maturity level. I doubt anything will change where they post the information.
  19. Wade-D

Well Sony was already running pay to winplants and not making enough money apparently, I can't wait to see how this new company destroys the game.
  20. Nalothisal

Are you incredibly dumb? The benefits of implants are barely noticeable... and you can't get the exact implant you want with the crates anyway so your argument is null and just dumb.