Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MrForz

My past with Perfect World feasting on Cryptic tells me that this isn't good news.
  2. VikingKong

No, they're still very much works in progress. Entering beta/EA is not in any way the same as launching. Bugs are inevitable in unfinished software. That's why they need testing in the first place.
    Haven't a clue what you're trying to say with that last part. You might want to lay off the crack for a while...
    • Up x 1
  3. Yago

Hey, please don't engage me in a battle of wits, I promised my mother I would never fight an unarmed man.
    • Up x 2
  4. Plunutsud pls

Yeah they will probably pull the plug on this old and unprofitable game and relocate the resources to that brand new dayz clone they're so busy selling now.
  5. Leer

I would but you aren't making any points, just ranting. Daybreak was started today that is why Googling it doesn't give you a company result. I never said SOE was dead at any point (even one that I can't see as you put it). SOE was money for Sony from a product that isn't a core part of the company like it's hardware division. CD saw it as a good purchase with long time earning potential much like it Harmony purchase (as a point of reference with this investment group). Smed has already said they are going multiplatform with current and new products and that they are expecting more resources. It sounds like it will be a sideway transition with a better upside that it had under Sony.

Some other statement you made that I don't understand:
    What other gaming company are to be bought a swallowed? By whom and for what reason or benefit? Why is Daybreak a punt for and who benefits? Are you saying CD gave Sony money for fun? How do you know SOE was" not sold at a great price" did they announce valuation or purchase details? Sony wouldn't have sold SOE for tax breaks they are already losing billions and don't need the small tax break SOE would bring if it was sold at a large enough loss.

Honestly you don't seem to be making much sense and it looks like you are ranting.
  6. C1ancy

Hopefully having some people up top looking to make money will stop SOE constant arrogance towards the players.
    When they get results for surveys and then outright say they're doing the opposite.
    Sony should have chopped the top off long ago rather than allowing SOE to end up as it did.
  7. Yago

Look you are even restating what I said and trying to claim it as your own ideas, and if you can't understand my point, reiteration won't help.
    Let it go, find someone else to argue with.
    If it makes anyone feel better, they know better than I.
    See? :)

I am done posting speculations and certainly negativity, a new future is in motion, lets see what it brings.
  8. Luminus

Are you ready for 99 cent orbital strikes, 2 dollar hour long double damage powerups, and 25 cent self revives?
    • Up x 1
  9. MikeyGeeMan

Well this was everyone's wish.

Cut restructure and reinvest.

Or turn it public and shut the servers down...

Pretty sire the community could get this up and running.

On a lighter note now that soe got bought. Everyone gets their wish, looks like tho company is serious and pulls the right resources if needed.

Maybe they will ax everyone except tray and radar. And begin a new age. They have the infrastructure to fix this up. Who knows.
    • Up x 1
  10. Yago

Imagine if Daybreak put PS2 in the place of a true PS1 sequel?
    Where cloakers are for infiltration not kill-***** sniping, where tanks need crews and can't spawn camp etc.
    Even if not for "endless" years, I would certainly pay to play that.
    Bet that my old outfit could be dragged back to active service, and there were "quite" a few of us reprobates.
    • Up x 4
  11. Leer

Ok, but please do reread what you have posted. {Backing away slowly}
  12. Yago

I'm done Leer, you win.
    Hollywood awaits you for another reboot of WallStreet.

Cheers. :)

Edit, I'll elucidate my standpoint as to affect the end of this conversation.
    I have seen all I need and decided, analogous to House, once the mystery is gone, so is the drive.
    You seek not knowledge, but a victory over me personally, I am not interested in being either defeated or winning such a special competition.

Cheers again :)
  13. RadarX

Folks if it's not obvious, we are moderating this thread. Please keep your comments on topic and constructive to ensure your post is not removed. Thank you!
    • Up x 1
  14. Yago

I am trying Radar.
    My mouth is under firmer control.
    The sky does not fall tonight, the sun will rise tomorrow on Auraxis, and everyone will still kill me, again and again and.....
    • Up x 2
  15. Spazzeh

Welp, as Planetside moves forward on the ps4, I know not to spend any money because I have no idea if we are all going to get screwed with greed or not.

I really don't like this.
    In the past, things like this typically meant it's time to move onto another game because things went to **** real fast.
  16. Hicksimus

Step 1: Fire the creative director for copying BF3....it's EA's job to copy BF3 maybe he should go work there instead.
    Step 2: Turn the game into Planetside and make some money because an actual Planetside game will retain users.

I know it's not that simple but I believe that is what it boils down to. Copying a game that requires constant revisions(mostly new maps) to hold an audience was a horrible idea when the ground work was already there to make an addictive game....as in Planetside with modern aiming mechanics, modern visuals and a modern interface.
    • Up x 4
  17. Yago

I'd bet that the console could have a firm future.
    Is it not on the playstation network, a healthy environment.
    Both companies have interest in that.
    • Up x 1
  18. Xind

I really wish we could get a declaration of intent for PS2. But it'll probably take quite some time for them to acknowledge their goals for each particular game, if they even have some.

It's hard to second guess their goals when as far as we know they may not of even decided what those goals are yet.
  19. LaSeRCyBoRg

I doubt they don't have plans yet. When you buy something (especially when it cost a # load of money) you know what to do with it. Even if its just to sell it again after 6 months (for example).
    • Up x 1
  20. Nordicsan

Given that Sony is hemorrhaging cash and SOE has operated as long as it has, the team has done a great job at holding up to our demands and this eventuality has been expected on my part for some time now... With regards to my immediate thoughts, I'm going to throw out a short list of what comes to mind.

The pros:

- Longstanding creative and development expertise (they know how to make games)
    - Devotion to fan base/community (they are honest and they listen)
    - Knowledge of client / server gaming architecture
    - Newly developed 3D engine that is actually working (Planetside) with two more titles in development
    - Learning how to port from PC to other platforms (it's really stinking hard and starts at the PC design level)
    - Ability to focus and work hard in uncertain times on a really crappy budget
    - No longer limited to developing for Sony product lines (new frontier)

The cons:

- Lack of real knowledge in porting games from PC to other platforms ( i.e. PS2 to PS4 port)
    - Aging franchises (new games please)
    - Competing priorities for new revenue streams
    - No real knowledge of the parent company and it's goals / direction / investment budget

Overall, if you really think about it, SOE has been living in the gloom and doom environment for quite some time now. I think that they can leverage the creative and development expertise for the PC that we know and love, then work from there. If the parent company can simply let the company run, then Daybreak can sprout wings and never look back.

As players our mission is to not change, this means that we need to maintain the same expectations and to not panic and doompreach. If you believe in the product, be supportive. Otherwise, be quiet and move on. Negativity is really bad for your health anyway, learn to manage it :)

P.S. I must add that the name of the newly formed company is ./NoBueno! I think that we need to come together and give them a new name, somebody start the thread!!! I'll start out with Smedley's Orgasmic Entertainment (SOE). Yes, it's bad! I dare you to do better...
    • Up x 4