Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Yago

The old "fixed that for ya". :)
  2. Leer

Hmm, not sure what you are saying but I think it is...

C Nova bought SOE so that they dump PS2 and H1Z1 because they are DX9, but have good ideas? DX9 is an inefficient platform not ****. Would DX12 be nice? hell ya. Once it is out and more systems support it then C Nova should look at migration plans.

A savvy investment company doesn't drop new to market or profitable properties just after paying for them. They grow them where they can.

I don't see where you are getting the armageddon ideas for PS2 from.
  3. Leer

To the bunkers?
  4. Cymoril

This reminds me of when Mythic Entertainment sold to EA. We all thought Mythic would become a better game, instead EA ran the game in the ground, delayed fixes, released an expansion or 2, didn't fix those bugs and then bailed when the populations became too dissatisfied with the current leadership/direction that the Devs promised but didn't deliver. Then EA resold back to Broadsword which was some of the founding members.
    The reason why I tell you this is I am having DejaVu atm with this game/title. I am not completely sold on H1Z1 to spend cash up front and I don't like anything else SOE currently makes. My days of spending cash on this game are done. Good luck to those that stick it out, including the staff but I'm not sold on a good direction from a previous title that I loved that went to trash.
    • Up x 2
  5. Yago

You said it yourself but still can't see it!!!

SOE was dead, PS2 on PS4 launch failed, I saw the vids the bugs were infinately worse.
    H1dead1 was a last ditch attempt at a game, they ripped programmers off every project they could to rush it to market.
    This game has never worked, H1doodah was a flawed concept and worse broken launch, Everquest was released like a kickstarter with minecraft facilities to try and get the playerbase to help develop the game.

SOE was not sold at a great price, it was sacrificed to protect the console arm of the company.
    Do a google for Daybreak games, they didn't even exist until this move.
    SOE will be stripped and flogged then the remains flushed.

PS2 and H1 are over.
    Daybreak may not yet succeed, I suspect it will depend on how much PS2 and H1 can milked while other games companies can be bought and swallowed.
    Daybreak are a punt, triggered by the low price opportunity of SOE sale.
    • Up x 2
  6. Yago

Address the points I made then!
  7. Shiaari

Wow, I did not see this coming. At all.

This is terrible news. It means that SOE isn't being very profitable.

So, how long before "Daybreak" is cut apart and sold off piece by piece? You know, CCP did this to White Wolf Game Studio and White Wolf's creative team got repurposed to EVE, and just last year World of Darkness Online was scrapped. Perfect World did this to Cryptic, and after that Star Trek Online took a f***ing nose dive.

Basically, it means development on PS2 is essentially over, with belt tightening and slashed budgets. How much of the staff is being laid off? I feel sorry for them. They're damn talented people, and they deserve better than to be mismanaged and picked apart by a vulture.
    • Up x 3
  8. Alizona

My parents used to tell me that if you have nothing good to say, then just keep your mouth shut.

Okay then. I'll do that.

Edit to add: To all the former SOE programmers and staff... thank you so much for such a enjoyable couple of years playing this great game. That's certainly something good I can say. You guys and gals have been terrific.
  9. Yago

Hey Daybreak.
    There are ways to make a go of this.
    Fire Smed now.
    Then I might tell you the rest of my cunning plan :D
  10. Liquidrider

BAH ! I cannot tell if this is good or bad..... I feel it could be bad. But not sure. Sony had the capital to keep SOE afloat even if money was lost. I cannot say the same for this new company.
  11. IshanDeston

Can't imagine much worse news than this.

Prepare to go full pay to win, and nickel & dime mobile phone paymodels.
  12. Joexer

It was fun guys... But if this goes how the books say, Im out.
  13. Yago

Haha, so we at last saw an orbital strike in PS2 :p
  14. Liquidrider

The future is bleak for PS2 at least for PC Gamers. You can almost kiss any possible new content in the future good bye.

Especially now that they will focus their attention on expanding the market to console games.
  15. Yago

Nah, to be honest, if you want to play PS2 for longer, the playerbase should be offering support and to play ball with Daybreak.

Something like, "I would renew my subscription (or whatever it's called now) if DayBreak would offer me some longevity promise, and bug fixes".
    How about bulk subscriptions on discount for whole outfits after said promise.

That sort of stuff.

They are interested in money, offer it to them in sufficient quantity and they will play ball.
    SOE was always so arrogant and ignored it's players, that was their mistake.
    You don't own a successful game ever, you have a loyal playerbase that will pay... that is the ethos.
    • Up x 1
  16. VikingKong

Slight flaw in your argument. None of those games are close to launching yet.
    • Up x 1
  17. BiggggBRIM

I love all the adorable, innocent responses on here. "Well now that SOE got bought out, maybe they'll put some money into the game!" Sorry kiddies, bad things happen when a venture capital firm spends a boatload of money buying out your favorite video game developer. They expect and demand a return on their investment.
    • Up x 3
  18. RadarX

This actually is only partly true. Yes Station Cash will be rebranded, but your existing balances are not being touched.
    • Up x 7
  19. Yago

I think you'll find they attempted to launch, or cast such shadow that any subsequent launch is tainted.

Anyhoo, my points have been made, banging on about this is negative.

I hope the best for DayBreak, the world needs changes in online gaming and the players(software houses) in it now are not prepared to stick their necks out with any vision or creativity.

Good luck Auraxians, hope to meet you again on many battlefields to come, and no doubt you will all still kick my backside there too!

:D :D <3
  20. Yago

Good luck RadarX, the future is not set for any of us.