AV base turrets too effective against infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ballto21, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Ballto21

1-2 hexes away can vary in size, i mean closer range ones where infantry can render within the 300-400m mark, (crown-ti alloys, crossroads-xenotech) and even then, being able to snipe a tank at render range, the tank cant fight back. people complain in this thread about with how turrets should be able to hit anything that can hit them, yet tanks cannot reliably hit them from render range.
  2. WTSherman

Well I don't know about your tank, but I've pretty reliably picked off Tech Plant turrets from near render range with a Halberd. Since AV secondaries like the Halberd don't have recoil, you just have to get the range on them and hold the mouse still so all the shots after that will hit.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ballto21

i dont tank much but when ive tried with halbred or similar AV weapons the TTK was much higher than the turrets
  4. qquqq

its a base turret, thats like saying tank shells should not be able to fire that far, considering that tanks and base turrets are the only way to counter snipers, and you are posting as an infiltrator, i consider your post biased and mute.
    • Up x 1
  5. Sulsa

Base turrets are stationary vehicles. They should not get a range nerf. That is ridiculous.
    PS2 is a combined arms game.
    Combined arms doesn't mean infantry should run up to an enemy base before long range combat is over. Good grief.
    • Up x 3
  6. maxkeiser

For the love of god stop the whining.

Base turrets are FINE as they are. Infantry die in one direct, clean hit and that is as it should be. The turrets are on fortified, military bases ffs. Infantry have to be careful when approaching.

Just stop trying to dumb the game down.
    • Up x 3
  7. Danath

And that's just another "way too many bases in the map" example.
    • Up x 4
  8. Hatesphere

yeah its a bit crazy and i think SOE needs to have a great base pruning, it would have the benefit of also adding more open field for vehicle fights. there are literally places were two base turrets from different bases can fire on each other, thats just not acceptable in my eyes.
    • Up x 2
  9. Krayus_Korianis

You know what else is effective against infantry? Anything that explodes or punctures... I.E. Bullets, shrapnel, grenades, mines, blocks of C-4 and of course rockets. Wouldn't you die quite easily to a rocket at your face in real life? That's what happens here, except there isn't a Nanite Rejuvenation Forge waiting for you in the real world.
    • Up x 2
  10. Ronin Oni

but because the infantry aren't rendering until they get in that range, it's not a problem. In fact, when 2 columns meet, the Sunderers deploy and unload and foot zerg push forward into render range (they can see, but not hurt, the enemy armor. That's an advantage it's own when they're not seen) And the pressure the infantry put on a fight allow their tanks to move up.

See how this works?

It's really quite simple.

200m max range ravens with 300m render is wrong though IMO. Let's just normalize long range AV to 300m across the board and adjust as necessary.
  11. Ronin Oni

turret can't move. Tank has time to move out of the way of each shot.
    • Up x 1
  12. Jaedrik

I love when people stand perfectly still and let me shoot them with the AV turret while they're 2+ hexes away.
    • Up x 1
  13. vincent-

NO stop asking for nerfs for things that happen to YOU this is what this is you tell me an instance were the base turrets have stopped in the enemy in their tracks for every base and I will agree until than how about being more sneaking and actually hitting the Q button on turrets to see if they look active!
    • Up x 1
  14. Langerz82

The point of a base invasion is meant to be that it isnt the easiest thing to do. The turrets may be pretty strong but they are also immobile and open to diversion tactics, so I dont support nerfing them.
  15. z1967

I was being shot at by the Xiphos AI turret the other day. Didn't even get my shields down and I got to cover easily. Those things need buffs, they are beyond horrible.

As for the Phalanx, its fine. Its a stationary turret that can be hacked/C4ed/rocketed fairly easily. I rarely get killed by them unless I get unlucky or do something stupid.
    • Up x 2
  16. Jalek

As someone who has gotten quite a few infantry kills using AV turrets I must say...Stop Running in Straight Lines directly at them.
    • Up x 1
  17. Pelojian

TBH the only way i see them being lethal is if you give them explosive rounds and better zoom.
  18. FieldMarshall

I like how AV turrets are miles ahead of the AI turret when it comes to dealing with infantry...
  19. TheMercator

What I have a problem with, are the AT-turrets at the crown, that out of some reason are able to kill infantry fighting at TI-Alloys and the Spawn-room facing ones on the top of techplants. It is so stupid, that one ore two infiltrators could shut down the defenders spawn room.
  20. Auzor

I fully accept that in modern warfare, the value of a "castle" is only giving your enemy a location to shoot a cruise missile at.
    However, that is not currently planetside 2's model. After all, no bunker can be destroyed..
    No artillery etc (which would fire back at enemy tanks from a few hexes away etc).
    The hiding is also limited, as infantry in this game cannot go prone, and any vehicle can equip thermal.

How about this:
    -infantry AV has a max range of 350m vs ground vehicles. this includes the AV turret, Ravens, ..After that, the missile magically dissapears. Another option is that at 300m, the missile deals max damage. From there, it drops down to zero at 350m. (it is rather difficult to know when you are at the 300m magical treshold of being able to damage that enemy tank)
    -infantry AV gets higher velocity for missiles etc, making them more accurate within those ranges. (not the decimator). I don't think tanks are complaining about dumbfires at 300m.. I'm not saying a 300m dumbfire would become easy; but at short range hitting a harasser on the move would be easier for example.
    We could also get stuff like infantry autocannons or something; higher RoF, lower dmg/shot, only useable stationary etc.

-Vehicles: mbt, lightning: a coaxial weapon, or ability to mix ammo.
    Both would increase effectiveness vs infantry.

-Infantry advantage: trenches and tunnel systems, extending out from bases.
    Think "Vietcong"
    A small (1 cap point) base could have 12 underground exits; distributed as per the clock, at various distances from the base itself.
    These tunnels would have sections to narrow for even a harasser.
    Now infantry can come out behind enemy tanks.
    The tunnels can be accessed from the spawnroom, and also come out at the cap point.

Now, of course enemy infantry can enter into these tunnels, enemy vehicles could "camp" the tunnels, but you're going to need quite a few to cover everything.