The door controversy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hiperion, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Hiperion

Lately many players haved asked for Doors as a implemetation for i dont know more realism?
    How exactly they would work i mean the bases on auraxys are more like combat campaments or something like that, in a world when no one sleep, eats, go to th bathroom, has *** ;) , and other things doors are the less aproximate to realistic P.S I would mind if i could play as army cooker and peeling potatoes :D
  2. z1967

As a gameplay mechanic, doors favor the defenders for routing hostiles and favor attackers (latency so you get alpha strike) once they are opened.

Long story short they are a lot of work for little gain. We already have shields, which accomplish the same thing. If it was a good mechanic it would have been implemented ages ago. So, no doors in this game please.
    • Up x 3
  3. AlterEgo

We don't need more PS1 crap, unless its naval combat or a better Magrider. Also, I want no doors UNTIL plasma actually acts destructive, rail guns are more available, and Terran weapons stop having their fire rates copied by other factions' weapons.
  4. iller

Biolabs ... Towers with an A point INSIDE the tower ... and probably Nanite ANALsys Research are the only examples of bases that would benefit from doors (read: more than 1 routes to the point). Then again that's a really general statement anyway since it simply >implies that some kind of nebulous redesign would be taking place either way.

The Problem with how most people assume Doors would be controlled.... is in their unlocking all being in the same exact hex which just compounds the Zerg Cluster-Factor. ...No... That's not how they would best be implemented. "Power to them" would need to come from neighboring Hexes also controlled by the Defending faction, stressing the point of surrounding an entrenched Zerg and disabling their defenses by being more Mobile than they are.
  5. Eternaloptimist

I don't know anything about the programming or mechanics but it would be nice to be able to say as a defender "we're not at home to Mr Grenade Spam" by closing the door from time to time. Of course the other downside for the attacker is "who gets the short straw and has to open the door to see what's on the other side?" but at least you can camp it and wait for the defenders to get bored, stick their heads out and then....blam! Er....no, this isn't going to work is it?
  6. BlueSkies

The problem with doors (and PS1 had this issue) is that it gets clusterf'ked when the zone server is under heavy load. Basically the door desyncs and some will see it open, some closed.
  7. FateJH

Ignoring other points, I do not believe doors would provide alpha strike to defenders. I believe empowerment in as far as initative still is in the hands of the players who move first and faster, e.g., the one who opens the door. "Alpha strike," therefore, it not about waiting for the door to be opened/unlocked, but doing the opening. of course, I am ignoring the concept of entrenchment but both attackers or defenders can utilize this.
  8. defghi

as a ps1 veteran, i say NEGATIVE.
  9. Cheap_Shot

Ehh doors in the sense of doors from ps1 no.. doors in the sense of hybrid ps2 i say ya make infantry doors with door panels that are like the scu gens shields but instead of a generator make it a hackable panel or another example like the bridges at heyoka chem lab/bloodworks. I would like it that only infils can hack or maybe just infils can hack maybe engi/light assault could also that part needs testing.
  10. Cransoon

Think about how much trouble the servers have keeping up with the current load from players at peak hours. Now add hundreds or thousands of new intractable objects. Medkits would be borked 100% of the time, and the doors probably wouldn't even work half the time, and require you to redeploy just to get to the other side. No, I'd rather have a functioning game than the realism of adding doors.
  11. Stigma

There were doors in PS1, and TBH I miss them. They made a lot of sense and added the the gameplay, as well as helped balancing.

For starters - there was at least a LITTLE more sense of ownership of a base. In PS2 it is literally often only who owns the spawnroom that is the difference. In PS1 you at least had to break in by hacking and it slowed you down. defenders could meanwhile move freely and quickly to man defenses, seek better positioning, or go to reenforce a different part of the base. In PS2, anything that is an asset to the base "owners" are typically almost as much use to the attackers if not more. Really no wonder why bases often feel so "undefendable" when in reality they are less of "you base" and more of "battle area #x".

MAXes couldn't use tools, so they got a bit hamstrung inside an enemy base if separated from their team, and this really helped balance out their overall power-level.

The reason you see shields all over the place is also because we don't have doors in the game. They fulfill the same roles, in some cases better than doors, but other times not as well - plus it just feels like a lazy way to do it an easier way honestly.

Adding doors adds more entities, so I'm sure its not trivial to implement - but PS1 had doors all over the place, and that was 11-12 years ago... so I'd hazard a guess that it's not exactly impossible. Unlikely to happen this late on though. Remind SOE when making PS3 in another 8 years?...

-Stigma
  12. HappyStuffin

+1 doors

I echo what the previous poster, Stigma says for the doors. At least they add a little more ownership to the game and it allows the defenders a little time to wonder around the base in preparation of the attack.

I feel that adding doors add an additional mechanic to the game. It adds more variety of things we can do that isn't just zerg ahead unabated.

As it is now. Winning bases can literally be accomplished by zerging from base to base, standing around control points, and shooting anything that movies.

Doesn't anyone else want more to do besides run and gun? The challenge of PS1 LLU? Lockers? Looting soldier backpacks? Energy (Nanite) resource management of bases and having to fill up the NTU? Hacking a door to get through instead of just spamming into it forever? I mean, there are still windows to spam into for the spamming-inclined.

You just have to wake up one day and ask, what happened?! This game encourages mindless zerging, teamwork or not.
  13. VSDerp

we need doors !
  14. Whatupwidat

I'm a PS1 vet - this is not PS1.

No doors kplzthx.
  15. Syphers

A few doors or at least simple shield doors would add much nice to the game, this is part of the reason why bases feel empty and meaningless there's little interaction and utilities to spice it up
  16. IvanCGray

Doors please! Were we raised in a damned barn? Just use primarily sliding doors, or ones that retract into the door or ceiling a la DOOM; Have some doors be neutral, others defender-controlled UNTIL hacked. Allow engineers to weld doors shut and cut them open, and let them get blown open with explosives. Doors clearly exist in this alternative reality, seeing as some of the doorways already have a static one...
  17. Vamperial

Doors would do little to add to this game. What they need to add is the meta content everyone has been screaming for. That's what will make bases feel meaningful. An ability to drain a base and hack it off the confined lane to provide a flank on the current stalemate Zerg fight will make a huge difference. If the concept of PS1 hacking was brought into the game then maybe doors would be a good addition but I really don't think doors would help much right now. Make bases significant first then bring in doors.
  18. Crashsplash

I don't think doors would work in these style of bases except in very limited circumstances.

In ps1 there were few entrances to a base or tower and doors that were locked to enemy soldiers (they had to physically unlock them to gain entry) did make sense, although there were issues as blueskies said when servers were struggling (they looked open to friendlies and at a same time closed to enemy or vice versa).

In ps2 style bases where there are many more entrances and many buildings and where there is every incentive to move quickly they don't.

in short doors in ps1 bases good, in ps2 bases bad.
  19. Crator

Pretty sure the DEVs stated they won't do this because it would cost too many system resources which would degrade performance.
  20. Klypto

Doors, just like terminals would count as individual NPCs putting extra load on the clients and server.