Higby, unlimited ammo is about as useful as no bullet drop....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by battlegoose, Jan 27, 2015.

1. battlegoose

Don't make this our new faction trait PLEASE. We like the HEAT reload mechanic but don't give us unlimited ammo. It's absolutely worthless 99% of the time and gives us massive nerfs in more important departments such as overall damage output.

We don't want charge up as a faction trait, we don't want no bullet drop as a trait, and we don't want unlimited ammo as a trait.

Give us a trait that is useful 80% of the time, not 3% of the time. The unlimited ammo on the Magrider secondaries is utterly useless since the main turret STILL HAS TO RESUPPLY. If I wanted unlimited ammo, I'd sit next to an ammo tower, box, or Sundy.
    • Up x 2
  2. haniblecter

Whole lot of 'we' and 'us' in there for a guy that can't even bother to set a profile pic or get a sig.
    • Up x 25
  3. Reclaimer77

Agree.

Unlimited ammo shouldn't make a weapon useless or completely underpowered just for the sake of having unlimited ammo.

Here is how the Devs seem intent on balancing unlimited ammo:

"Unlimited ammo gives you the theoretical potential to kill infinite numbers of enemies, so we need to drastically lower the weapons TTK, it's DPS, number of shots before overheating, and damage per clip."

Basically because of the potential the weapon has, you are put at a disadvantage in every single encounter with an enemy. Begging the question, is it worth it? I don't think it is.

The Eclipse Carbine gives me the "potential" to sit in a tree all day and kill everyone. In reality? It's a gun I never even use, because I cannot win 1 on 1 fights against decent players, especially Heavy Assaults, before the weapon overheats.

Planetside is a massive combined arms game, but most of the time, you are locked into 1 on 1 fights. You need to kill the tank before it kills you. You have to kill that Max unit that's shooting at you. Etc etc.

The HEAT mechanic puts the VS at a distinct disadvantage in these situations if the Devs continue their balancing trend.
  4. FateJH

Faction traits shouldn't be about direct advantage. They're flavoring.
    • Up x 14
  5. Reclaimer77

Agree. But they shouldn't handicap you either and be a disadvantage.
    • Up x 1
  6. Moonheart

Could you give us the source of where higby said they are going to remove the no drop in favor of unlimited ammo, please?
    It's hard to understand without a context.
    • Up x 1
  7. BravoTangoTR

Hey, it could be worse. Your faction trait could be to spew bullets so inaccurately that you make a silhouette of your target on the wall behind him while he laughs and kills you.
    • Up x 8
  8. Reclaimer77

Last time I grabbed a Carv, a Cougar, or a TORQ they felt plenty accurate to me.

You guys need to learn some trigger discipline or something.
    • Up x 5
  9. Hosp

I'd trade one of my carbines for a Trac-5.
  10. Pat22

Hey, it could be worse. Your faction trait could be to run out of ammo and have to reload 1 or 2 bullets short of killing your target. I guess it never occured to TR and NC that a 143 / 25 weapon was horrible, what with all their 40 round carbines and 167 / 200 damage guns.
    • Up x 3
  11. Reclaimer77

lol yeah. And then they complain about our accuracy?

The Orion is barely more accurate than the Carv, but has just HALF the magazine capacity. And that's just one example.
  12. Pat22

I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure it has considerably more recoil than the Carv.
  13. FnkyTwn

And while we're at it, put a 4x Scope on the PhaseShift.
    • Up x 4
  14. Pat22

Last I checked on the PTS, that gun was getting a nerf, so maybe you'll get that 4x scope while the devs are looking at it.
  15. FnkyTwn

How can they nerf the PhaseShift? Put even more of a firing delay on it? Make it overheat after half a shot? Give it a Lancer-like bullet trail? Make it only work with the Stalker cloak? Kill you when you equip it?
    • Up x 10
  16. Konstantinn

I mean.... if nobody is using it and it's useless.... you can give no bullet drop and unlimited ammo weapon options to TR... we'll take it...
    • Up x 1
  17. Maelthra

This is what I would go with.
  18. Pat22

They're making it so you have to charge the shot for like 2-3 seconds for it to be able to OHK rather than the 0.5 seconds it is now.
    So yeah, increasing the delay.
  19. Edenwolf

People downplaying the Orion....Bahahaha!
    • Up x 7
  20. Halkesh

It's probably a bug, but on PTS, the PhaseShift charge time is increased by ~500%