Why are NC and TR doing worse than vanu on alerts?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by vortex-5, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Rovertoo

For the most part, the other empires have had some OP stuff, but not game-breakingly so, and not for an exceedingly long long time. VS on the other hand has been unfortunate enough to have several game-ruiningly OP (read: so obnoxious to fight against that people leave the game) weapons that weren't changed for quite a long time. Mostly due to the fact that VS argue their butts off in favour of their OP stuff because most of their not-OP stuff is slightly under par.

So I think that because VS was so OP for so long in the past in so many ways the Alert stats have been skewed in their favor because it demoralized the other factions and drew more players into VS.
    • Up x 2
  2. Joseph1981us

Who cares what vanu do? It not like it actually matters. The reason vanu win is you a have a certain player mentality that is attracted to vanu and foolishly believe that if they win the next alert the war will be over and everyone will have to acknowledge how skilled they are. But the alert ends and they get 10K XP for ghost capping or zerging the continent. Mean while all the smart TR and NC are stuck in one big battle earning 10K XP every few deaths and having a load of fun doing it. The banter will be infinitely better between the two of them and they will be there again tomorrow.

You ever wonder why there's always that lone vanu trying to jump into TR/NC fights, they long for that type of fun. Its a desire forever denied to them by their own try-hard brains. They don't get it and they wont so its no actual use ever trying to explain such things to them.

So let them have alerts, they deserve them in away, that far removed from fun. So long as I have blue glory to shoot at and can laugh at my own death when I get godsawed, what does it matter what the other boring third does.

(of course if it actually did matter then it would be terrible, everyone would quit and the game would die...good going Vanu)
    • Up x 4
  3. ikillyou1990

Lately the TR on Connery couldn't care less about it. Been like that the last few days. Last one I remember, NC and VS decided to sh*t all over the TR. We had been doing well with alerts until that started happening. All I hear on the command channel anymore is one particular player trolling/screaming/sexual noises/etc. While the others typically don't see the point when they can stick on Farmdar.
  4. Taemien

Weapon/Vehicle Imbalance doesn't cause this. I'm not even sure base design* causes this. And the reason I say this is because of what happened at the event with the world record. With equal numbers, the NC won by a decent margin. This isn't something normally seen in such events like server smashes and other events. And the weapon/vehicle thing isn't in favor for the NC either.. our 'OP' weapons actually under performed, doing a quarter of the kills of the VS/TR counterparts.

Something else is causing this. And I want to say its actually being caused by population disparity. This isn't to be confused with population imbalance.

The difference is in the details. If you look at faction population averages throughout the day, the factions are even. But if you look at the location of such players (not in game) during each peak time. I think that is where the difference is.

What this means is while NC may maintain a healthy 33% average population. Maybe even above. The players on NC are not all from the same region. NA players like to play with NA players. SA players like to play with SA players. Same for EU, same for AU, same for JP.

One faction or the other will have regional players gravitate towards one another. You can see this on Connery late at night and early in the morning (EST). There's alot of outfits in the VS that work together mainly because they share a common language. I'd imagine similar things are happening on other servers to some degree.

NA probably makes up the largest chunk of players that spread out amongst the 3 factions on the NA server. And some English Speaking players in the EU servers probably do the same thing there. That effectively makes english speakers the minority when split three ways.

Cept its not splitting 3 ways evenly either. Which is why I believe it hasn't been detected as being an issue yet. Now understand this is only a hypothesis. And the reason why I am leaning towards this is because of the following reasons:

1. NC doesn't suck. It doesn't make sense that 1/3 of the player base simply is inferior because they chose a blue team. That's ridiculous. Besides we won the world record alert event. Inferior players can't do that.

2. NC isn't less organized. It doesn't make sense that 1/3 of the playerbase are all zerglings. Like 1, we won the event, an uncoordinated mass couldn't do that.

3. Weapons/vehicles are not imbalanced. Again, we couldn't win the event with unbalanced equipment.

Now number 2 looks like a paradox because of my hypothesis. I believe most of the people coordinating in the World Record Event because they spoke a common language. It doesn't mean everyone who participated in the event spoke english however. Just that their leadership did.

So what I believe might be happening is a language barrier on the live servers pushing a large lump of coordinated players to one faction or the other. While coordination-minded english speakers are split up 3 ways.

We have coordinated players, but they aren't coordinating with other groups. Either because they don't have time, arrogance, or just ignorant of the fact other like minded groups exist.

To speak of Connery specifically. Why don't outfits like ADK, COLG, BinC, 00, v0c, 666, X, B4ND, PG, and other outfits' leaders speak to one another? Those JP outfits on from 1am-10am (EST) surely do. And they are winning because of it. I understand not everyone can be online during those times. But the NC could win them during NA primetimes a bit more often with a bit of dialogue between leaders.

NC won a world event by the leaderships speaking to one another. That can be done everyday and on the local server level.

We might not be zerging on the individual level more than the TR or VS. But I think we're 'zerging' on the group level. Meaning we have squads and platoons doing 'random' things. Meaning they are coordinating between 12-48 players really well. But they aren't working in concert with the other squads and platoons running at the time. That leads to alot of waste. And that keeps us from winning alerts.

What I'll do is stay open to any outfit that is willing to work with outsiders. I personally lead a static squad (same people everytime it forms up) of like 3-6 people. We're capable of tying up enemy forces MUCH MUCH bigger than we are and being a general nuisance (enough to cause enemy to drop 2-3 platoons on us to route us out of facilities). We have skilled Gal pilots as well as decently certed spawn sundies.

If I'm online chances are I'm running the squad and will be glad to coordinate with larger squads, platoons, and outfits to go do things they can't afford to do themselves such as hitting bases as a distraction, holding single points, keeping gens down, and a variety of other small specialized things. My ingame name is the same as my forum name, and I play on Connery. We don't play every day, maybe 2-3 days a week, but usually anytime between 4pm and 2am you might be able to catch me on.

Hopefully other like minded players get in on this sort of thing, and I really would like to see outfit leaders get more dialogues going. But it is what it is. If it happens, great. If not, then I'll keep doing what I've been doing.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ballto21

hate to say it, i agree with you. the most fun ive had as a vs on any character is between alerts and in fairly even battles, where banter is fun and ****talking is minimal. but during alerts i see the tryhard nc get salty, the figgits of vs being dicks, and the tr bing indifferent
  6. Xasapis

I have a different explanation about this. The alert on a continent that features equal population is usually NOT won by whichever faction has the most territory at the beginning of the alert. In fact, the faction with the less territory is usually ignored by anyone but non organised players, while the organised players push against the holder of most territory.

It will be interesting to know who has the most territory at the beginning of the alert. If my theory is right, then in most cases this is not the VS, which means that some other faction consistently gets double teamed.
  7. doombro

VS is the tryhard faction. Have been since PS1, continue to be to this day.
    • Up x 2
  8. Chewy102

One laggy as hell event isn't going to give good data on balance. It isn't big enough of a sample size and there are far to many things to make the data useless from lag problems alone.

Pop %s was even and everyone was fighting for the win. But we had players from around the world all with their own pings, a laggy as hell server that was more or less DOA at times ruining certain weapons/tools while boosting others, possible language problems clustering coms, and more likely.

Things like Server Smash and WDS would be better at giving information on balance. WDS likely isn't that good from being very very old now but at least is is for all 3 factions against each other. Server Smash fights might be something to look into. Anyone happen to know the total number of server smashes, number of times each faction was picked, what factions mostly fought each other, and how many times each faction won? That might lead to something is the numbers are off. I just don't know from my not watching any of them outside of the Merger Smash I was in.

In any case. One event isn't enough to pull good information from. To little information to use and the event conditions dropped to **** over time. There needs to be Id think at least 10 total 3 way events to get some good data in how each faction does against each other when everyone is going for gold. Just not that damn big as to kill the server.
  9. Azimaith

I remember that, but the thing was the biolab is one single type of base, while the stryker and zoe were dominant in many more situations. IE the styker anywhere outside (and this was pre-base ceilings) and the zoe was, well everywhere. I think thats why pre-nerf hacksaws didn't quite leave the impression on the game as a whole that zoe and styker did.
  10. Joseph1981us

@Xasapis

I see this all the time and usually it's only in the last 30 to 20 minutes. My experience on Connery would be that NC would gain an initial lead, but after the first hour would get double teamed and would quit. But by this time everyone is jumping on their VS alts to get VS welfare XP (seriously it's not even that much). In the meantime anyone with half a brain moves either to the one big fight or fights on a different continent. SOE has a made a hill which we can all climb over and over and over. Wont change anytime soon.

@ballto21

The best fight is an even fight, when its a slug fest that last hours and you push and push and eventually win. The quick win is boring, worthless and leaves an emptiness. Winning too often is a bigger bane to any who enjoy challenges, only kids want to win all the time (and there are a lot of big kids these days). Over coming greater odds, taking hits and getting back up; now that's worthwhile. Its also why I wont play VS anymore. VS as a faction has its strength in denying the enemy the ability to fight, fighting from render range or tanks that are more like skulking thieves than being tanks. Every faction can be invincible if they use there assets correctly, but only VS are simply boring to fight against (which I have more VS kills).
    • Up x 1
  11. Hibiki54

I stopped caring about alerts when redeployside was introduced. I'm sure most NC feel the same way.
  12. choon

Its simple, people have realised that there is no point fighting the next step of human evolution as VS is the most evolved faction and surrendering is the only option. The sooner everyone will realise it, the sooner there will be peace on Auraxis and everyone will get to embrace the purple spandex and experience true harmony in life.
  13. Towie

You should create a VS alt and see for yourself.

When a platoon is organised for an alert, they redeploy quickly and assign squads to different tasks - if a base looks unwinnable, they don't just stay there putting more and more people and resources into trying to take it down, they move on.

They don't even wait for the base-cap XP when a base appears to be won - they're off in search of the next one, literally abandoning vehicles when they need to.

People who don't follow orders usually get a warning - then they're kicked from the squad.

It is actually very good fun once you have adjusted to it - you get a real buzz when you're in such a platoon, the pace is frantic and the action non-stop. NC and TR just don't do this as often in my experience, which is a shame...
    • Up x 5
  14. DQCraze

Probably should look at server pop dominance the 2 correlate. If the VS have the pop most of the time they are probably going to win most of the alerts, especially late night. As far as my playtime is concerned what I see is a pretty even spread between the factions on Emerald.

I do agree redeployside sucked the fun out of fighting in battles and has introduced a new breed of map watchers who feel the need to constantly update the platoon leader on map happenings. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "We are losing such and such base" I would be a millionaire. Mid battle I have to redeploy my troops to save critical bases that are being zerged. Which brings me to another matter of extremely defensible bases that get turned into 40min meat grinders.

I hope the era of redeploy Max crash is removed from the game completely, it makes for really stale game play. The only way I see this happening is your Nanites are reset to ZERO if you redeploy to another base.
  15. FnkyTwn

Which server you're on probably plays the largest factor in who wins alerts.

Emerald has the benefit of formerly being Mattherson, which had the overall best balance between the factions before the game even started due to the PS1 veterans on Reddit deciding they wanted solid matchups. TR, for better or for worse, got TE, NC got Goon and VS got Goku. VS had to get dramatically good with communication to keep up with really well organized opponents, and that spirit is still alive today.

Waterson got merged with Mattherson because it matched up pretty well faction wise, and helped rebalance populations.
  16. Reclaimer77

I only play on Emerald.

I main VS, but play TR and NC a good bit.

One thing I notice is when I play TR and NC, I never see any leadership or tactical discussions on /Region or the Command channels. This is especially true for NC, the lack of any strategical leadership has turned the faction into a mindless zerg hive mind.

When I play VS, you can hardly go five minutes without outfit leaders making suggestions, telling people where they should be fighting, and most importantly - telling people which bases are hopeless and where they should be going instead for the greater good.

I knew when I clicked this thread that some whiners would pull the "Easy mode" or "VS IS OP" nonsense. For the VS to win alerts based strictly on gear, we would have to have the most overpowered tank, Harasser, ESF, Max units, and all levels of infantry weapons by a WIDE margin. I think that's far from the case here.
  17. battlegoose

It's because the VS believe the objective of the game is the objective the devs give us (i.e. when an alert is going on, we should play to win the alert).

The TR and NC believe the objective of the game is to statpad with vehicles until they can brag they got a 540 killstreak, farming just outside a warpgate, during an alert, using the bailassault loadout.

The TR and NC can't win an alert if they won't leave their vehicles. The devs made sure of that with GU02 when they stopped letting you take a control point from inside your vehicle.
    • Up x 2
  18. Cheap_Shot

O the pains of being NC on emerald we do have people to lead but sadly most have turned jaded, angry and bitter like... really bitter i used to run platoons i gave up. I used to help co run outfits i gave up.

You have elitist outfits, zerg mindless zerg outfits(we have a few) and if you call them out for what they are they get all mad and cry. 96+ attacking a base with 2 mins left on timer vs 12-24 most of these outfits just can't seem to figure out that wasted bodies lose alerts or pushing a base (non-critical path base no less) for 45 mins while you lose 3 bases near that hex is just lunacy.

Tell them nicely in orders ignored...50% tell them nicely in command chat ignored... 50%

Call them out on their stupidity. Hey get mass reported for being a big meanie.

Or my favorite Alert starts so NC pushes like made to have 45%-50% territory!!!! Woohoo to lose it all in the last 30mins because we get double teamed (like the smart factions do). My other favorite Vanu has 45% territory so we push TR that has 15% so we start the TR zerg to focus us ONLY/most of the alert. Just astounds me that it takes NC leaders MONTHS to figure out how to play this game...
  19. FnkyTwn

Pro Tip: NEVER spend the certs on Command Chat unless you absolutely have to, or you hate yourself.
    • Up x 1
  20. w00zie

For me its simply because fighting VS just isn't as fun as fighting NC/TR....

I mainly play TR on Miller and to be honest, i would choose a battle against the NC anytime over VS. Those NC/TR battles are the reasons i play this game, if this game were about only fighting against VS (whatever the circumstances) i probably wouldn´t play (well, not anymore).

Fighting against NC feels just...even...i kell them, they kill me. After a while, i log off with a smile on my face. But fighting VS...you get in....bam a guy in a spandex, who you didn´t see at first killed you with his auraximezed Orion....and then again a BR100 with a auraximezed Orion/Betelgause. Everyone with a fancy bought camo of course.

And since VS is already winning most alerts (those who matter anyway, not the ones TR is winning....the 4 A.M ones, you know....), i really dont give a s*** about them anymore. It´s sad, but true.