Going Prone

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SharkeyMyrl, Jan 20, 2015.

1. SharkeyMyrl

:) I think a feature that would go great would be if you you lay down and shoot :3 it would make the sniping aspect of a Infiltrator better especially on continents like Esamir where there is sometimes absolutely nothing to lean against of hide most your body behind.
    • Up x 2
  2. tf2hero

hit detection/ serverside is bad enough as it is and i don't want more COD stuff in this game.
    • Up x 1
  3. MikeyGeeMan

Dolphin diving!!!!
  4. BobSanders123

It would probably break the game knowing hit detection right now. It would be too much trouble for too little benefit.
  5. HappyStuffin

Ok I know i'm just lazy with this one. But I have enough buttons bound around the keyboard to remember. I just don't want another button for Prone.

Other than that, I welcome this new addition.
  6. CipherNine

I wouldn't mind as long as transition to and out of prone would take some time and lower weapon accuracy so it isn't used as dolphin diving.
  7. MrNature72

The issue with prone is it makes countering snipers all that more difficult. Take the forward hitbox of someone crouching 300 meters away. Now cut that hitbox down to 1/4-1/6 of the size. That's what we'll be dealing with.

That, and it ruins the flow of gameplay. It slows everything down. This is a fast-paced game, not like Arma III, where it's very paced out and every decision makes a huge difference.
  8. Rabbitz

I'm not sure if it will change anything beside adding an immersion. Stay still or move slowly in this game is dangerous, even tank can snipe you because everyone can get a hand on a superior optic.

I'm sure even sniper want to dance than going prone in this game.
  9. BloodyPuma

The way SOE would implement it:

-Mana turret all over again. You would be mounting your gun, not just casually going prone with a gun
    -80% of your hitbox would heave invisible wall
    -head would be 5 mm higher and to the left/right depending on the angle
    -you would teleport from mounting to tall position without standing up animation
    -lolpod "marked for death" would be placed on your back

:)

After 2 years, I lost all hope in SOE making anything besides bugs&fix festival. Sad but true.
  10. NinjaKirby

Maybe not, that's if it's anything like the first 42 seconds of this video displaying how Prone should REALLY be done...

Also, this is the 19th Thread involving the word "Prone" in the title to feature in Gameplay Discussion. Draw what conclusions you may.

(Kidding about 'That's how it should be done' XD)
  11. MikeyGeeMan

How prone will be used....

Prepare to feel the dolphins wrath.
  12. Yago

Wait, what game are you lot playing???

PS2 already has this!!
    I have lost s couple of 1v1s with prone soldiers already... well someone had to point it out :p
  13. Liewec123

there is a bug where sometimes people look dead and they can still move around and shoot,
    they are incredibly hard to hit.
    no ty to more of it :)
    • Up x 2
  14. z1967

If you want them to spend 2 years completely redesigning 4 continents to implement 1 miniscule feature then sure we can have prone. You can snipe without it, I do and so do many others.
  15. Yago

Inspired by this thread, I moved my monitor, keyboard and mouse onto the floor, and "went prone" to play PS2.
    I also got some camo paint and "blacked up" my face and hands, then cut some bushes and fixed them to my clothes.

I found this really improved my performance and would do this for every gaming session, but for the fact when "virtual prone" my dog sees me to be a "convenience"!

:p :)
    • Up x 2
  16. Chazt

I don't think adding in prone would the help the game at all, it was just increase camping and lead to those oh so fun scenario in mosst modern shooters where you walk into the objective and get killed by some guy with an smg at your ankles. In strictly punishes pushing because the majority of the time, people are not going to have their weapon aimed at the ground coming into a room, looking instead towards center mass or head height for easy adjustment. The guy prone in the room has plenty of time to gun down anyone else because they have to adjust to his positioning.

Lets also take a moment to remember planetsides weird terrain issues, a sniper glitching halfway inside of a rock or dirt mount because he layed down would be a huge issue. Let us also not forget to mention the weird habits of modern shooters to only have certain degrees a prone person will be displayed as looking and have his gun aiming. This accounts for a lot of the time where you will see a prone person aiming their weapon in one direction, but really they are looking up or down. Because showing them looking down would result in clipping and showing them aiming their gun upwards would result in a weird yoga master soldier most shooters do not display where a prone character is aiming correctly.
  17. Stromberg

wouldn't it be funny if everyone but sniping infitrators could go prone?
    • Up x 2
  18. GoTDirt fromMAG

I always support prone. While I don't think emotes are essential either, I feel more immersed by having more poses for my action figures. Not having prone or the ability to lean, make me think of my non O ring figures (Sgt.Rock, Star Wars etc) always envious of my figures that could do more (like my awesome G.IJoe guys & gals). I would love if this advanced technology of prone could find its way into PS2 still. My favorite toy guns all had bipods & my Nerfs still do.

Of course on the battlefield, if I'm not watching YouTube in my Sunderer, I'm running as fast as I can into certain death. But if I hadn't had my coffee maybe I'd really enjoy some peeking & prone. As a MAG fan prone still saddens me in its absence.

And I would be down for the Infiltrators camouflage not bending.
  19. DQCraze

If you put in prone then you have to deploy it to get your immersion right.
  20. Famif

Prone animations in a game like this will not work for these reasons:

1. The animation would be silly for hit-boxes.
    2. The terrain is too uneven and your body would have its legs sticking up into the air.
    3. Do you know how many people will find ways to hide most of their body inside of terrain or obstacles?
    4. It's silly. And snipers are already difficult enough to find because, oh I dunno, BECAUSE THEY CAN GO INVISIBLE!
    5. A proned, stalker-cloak snipe... in a bush. You would -NEVER find the guy.

Just saiyan.