[Suggestion] Drones for TR

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gunhazard, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Gunhazard

VS and NC both have a lot of unique tech that no other faction has access to. VS is teeming with weapons that function like nothing else, but even NC has a lot of weapons with unique qualities that set them apart.

TR, generally, doesn't. TR is basically automatic weapons (which everyone has), and most of their 'unique' weapons and tools are just slight stat adjustments that don't really change the visual or thematic feel. Their distinction is to be indistinct, which isn't very interesting.

So if TR's 'thing' is automatic firepower and numerical superiority, how do you make a unique weapon/system/ability to reflect that?

[IMG]

Drones.

Give TR drones. A little gunpod that takes up a utility slot on a soldier and provides support fire when deployed. Vehicle-mounted drones that can be used to suppress areas with anti-infantry fire, or harass targets, or feed sensor data to the pilot. That sort of thing. UAVs that could be launched from Galaxies, Valkyries or Liberators so that the pilot has some way to contribute to the fight while he's circling high overhead.

Drones as fire/logistics/intel support for TR troops and vehicles would provide a force and threat amplification that fits with all of TRs mechanical and aesthetic themes. Given ammo limitations and little durability, they would not be overbearing, but would provide distinct gameplay elements that would be unique to TR.
  2. ColonelChingles

I think there was a plan to make a recon drone for all three factions. Little tiny thing that was pretty nimble. Was actually introduced to the test server back in October 2013, but no development on it yet.

From the video it looks like an NS model with VS colors, so likely it will be available to all factions.

The TR faction flavor, by the way, is conventional weaponry made hyperefficient. TR gets bullets, NC gets Gauss, and VS gets plasma. Sure the TR are the most "normal", but that's their faction flavor after all.
    • Up x 2
  3. tf2hero

i want a drone that lets me taunt everyone else with the Microsoft sam TTS
    • Up x 4
  4. Hatesphere

only if it looks like this

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  5. tf2hero

whoz dat poser, i am the real sam
    [IMG]
  6. Hatesphere

Trust me, the paper clip will instill far more fear along with the sam voice. oh and when I stared with computers, one meg of ram/core memory was larger then a lunch tray and you could fix it with a magnifying glass and a soldering iron... poser :p
    • Up x 1
  7. JediNinja

Drones could fit into the TR flavor. We are the only proper military around ( the other two not having members that are trained soldiers), so it makes sense that we would have the best, non-heretical tech around. The NC use whatever they can find or buy and the VS use dangerous, heretical tech. So I can see the TR R&D making these for their soldiers.

From a mechanical stand point this could open up a lot of uses. The drones could be non-agressive intel gatherer, maybe auto-spotting enemies or acting like a motion spotter, it could a a aggressive turret that flies, or even supportive like giving a boost to a soldiers shield and helping with the recharge time. They could even act like a level 1 engi gun to assist tanks.
  8. Bhudda V1

this would be cool if galaxies could become a mini carrier for recon drones
    this seems cool as hell

best way to implement the would not give them any way to defend themselves from the start I am thinking people complain about so many things it would be a good idea to play it safe.

I competently agree tr should get drones but so should all the factions with their own flavor of them
  9. Cimm0

What? An automatic spotter and turret on every TR? Are you serious?

Well, if TR gets that, Vanu should get that gun from Fifth Element, ZF-1 if I recall correctly, with...
    • Machine gun with seeker bullets to balance the advantages brought by the automatic aim the drone TR has.
    • Rocket launcher for AT use - who needs HA anymore? It's the most hated class there is!
    • Poison arrow launcher to silently, painfully get back at all the back-stabbing infiltrators. This should turn the infiltrator green, make him swell like a balloon before exploding into a messy cloud of paper-thin armor and guts!
    • Net launcher to bring down ESF and LA.
    • Flamethrower to clear bases quickly and to cause general misery.
    • Freeze ray to remove heat from weapons that use heat mechanic and +200% stamina regen in the hot climate of Hossin.
    And since it's clearly futuristic alien tech, it should be, like, a sidearm for every Vanu. Or maybe you could hold two of those if you let primary weapon go.
    • Up x 2
  10. barunedpat

How dare you forget the self-destruct button, turning all infantry into C4?
    • Up x 3
  11. Xasapis

The main problem with this one sided proposal is that is one sided. Ok, TR get drones, what do you give to the other two factions to balance it?
  12. stalkish

It does look like a VS gun hehe.
    My vid viewing is broken, (i get a static screen for some reason) so i hope this covers it all.
  13. FnkyTwn

Well, like the OP said, the other factions have unique flare already, so this would be exclusive to TR because it's so well thought out or something. NC is blue.. blue is a pretty nice colour. VS is purple spandex, and who doesn't love that stuff? TR's red is kinda tired and nobody really likes it, so they get drones. Makes perfect sense.
  14. stalkish

Nothing, apparently this is to balance an already inbalanced situation. Apparently TR and VS already have 'a lot of unique tech that no other faction has access to'.
  15. Liewec123

well NC get a shotgun with an underbarrel shotgun so HA!
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  16. HappyStuffin

This.
  17. tf2hero

what does that have to do with the all powerful soi?
  18. ATRA_Wampa-One

Playing against AOD and 382 I can assure you the TR have already cornered the market on the use of drones.
    • Up x 1
  19. Gunhazard

What did TR get to balance off NC having camera-guided missiles? What are they getting to balance off Vanu's new heat-based LMG with multiple ammo types? Or their charged sniper rifle? What does TR get to balance off any other new weapon or tech that VS or NC get? The answer is actually the same either way; more automatic weapons. We've got automatic weapons, more automatic weapons, some automatic weapons with different stats, some automatic weapons that look sorta different, and we have some neat shotguns, grenade launchers, and missile launchers whose unique feature is that they're... automatic weapons. For every interesting weapon NC or VS gets, TR gets the "It shoots moar bulletz" mk22. It's dull having 20 different assault rifles/carbines/SMGs to pick from that are all still the same idea with slight performance tweaks, while realizing that VS and NC basically get a lot of the same thing, except they also get some interesting options that let them engage in unconventional ways. I guess that's the big thing is that VS and NC have options for unconvnetional warfare, while TR is as basic as it gets. There's little that is distinctive or special about TR's weapons. It doesn't help that even the faction ability for MBTs and MAXs isn't very distinctive. NC gets table-turning super-shields, VS gets big speed buffs that sort of trivialize TR's base higher speed, and TR gets an excuse to be a sitting duck while making their automatic weapons a bit more automatic than they already were. Sure, it gives TR an advantage when they're sitting back and camping/shelling, but it's rare that such tactics actually win territory.

It would be nice to have some things that VS and NC don't have, because they certainly have their share of options that TR has no comparison to. I think drones fit the TR aesthetic and would give them some unconventional warfare tricks.
  20. Vango

I actually agree,drones for TR would be awesome.
    Obv. to make their trait even more solid, TR should lose all BASRs, semi-auto snipers, semi-auto scout rifles,pump action shotguns,semi-auto shotguns,all non auto rocket launchers,all semi auto sidearms and if they still dont feel unique enough after that maybe consider restricting their access to non-auto NS weapons.
    • Up x 1